06 TJ

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

06 TJ

Unread post by Frank »

Kay Guys , Give me some ideas. A friends friend has a 06 TJ and supposedly has spent 1500 buks at a garage (General Repair) near his work and no improvement . He has death wobble and I dont know what they have done so far but its getting dropped off fri for me to look at. Just wanted your ideas on things youve run into chasing this issue that they are missing. This 06 has 49k on the clock , 3" lift (for years) and NO Rot on frame at all or on the body . He has new babies and wants to fix it to sell it. 6cyl / 6 speed Thanks FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: 06 TJ

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Stuff to look at, track bar ends, unit bearings, not usually ball joints but, dragging brake, to much tire pressure, i have had belt go in tire cause it too, bad control arm bushings, loose steering box. If anyone tells you steering stabilizer don't listen to another thing they say.

On side note what engine bracket did you need? Ps?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Not being sure what was done its a longer list as Mark showed.

I had the issue up around 65-70ish when I first got my jeep, problem in my case was the wheel bearings. They were a bit outside of spec lol. Put it up in the air and spin the tires, I have had bands shift in tires before and its a pain to find without getting them in the air.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I got death wobble from tires out of balance. Im sure shop checked that first tho.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I have heard all the normal stuff over the years . I was looking for tricks that people have found they would have missed.
Mark : Isnt the secret in the trac bar the mount hole wallowed out even though its tight. Would you be able to see a bad bushing on a jack stand , Unit bearings should be easy to detect. Is not the left upper control arm connected to the top of the diff. The alt bracket as I moved mine to the right side.
Jim : By wheel bearings I assume you mean unit bearings. I think CJs were the last use of inner/outter wheel bearings.
KA-sandra : I dont think the smallish tires on this rig is doing this but ill check-em out.
Thanks for the heads up on this problem . He is going to bring me the work orders and at least Ill know what they have done or at least said they have done. Leaf Springs RULE ! (except in the back) FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

So I have the Jeep and the work order. All 1500.75 worth
They replaced both upper control arms
They replaced the bushing on top of the diff
Adjustable track bar new
heavy steering DL & TR all new
alignment
balance and rotate tires.
They covered most of the gremlins in that front end . The Jeep has a 3" lift , all 4 lowers are tubular, uppers are stock , none are adjustable. FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Are the lowers sized for the lift? Has the camber/caster been thrown off enough to cause issues? I’m sure they’ve been checked, but the ball joints? Any play anywhere can turn into wobble.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Thanks Dan , They look original with 49k . Hes never wheeled this TJ-X. No dings dent rust or rot. Will look at them today. Want to unbolt everything and re torque it . Check for a sticking caliper , check frame behind steering box . The lowers (all4) non adjustable have that slight curve to them like Ive seen. Looking at the knuckle , there appears to be caster ???? Will check the bushings on the lowers as thats just about it , everything else is new. FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Foolish question but are the tires wearing evenly? Sometimes this can lead you in a direction of an issue as well.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I have come to think its all in the track bar axle bushing . I put the track bar in the vice and with a 7" punch you can move that sleeve like nothing. I have an old stock track bar with the same style rubber sleeved bushing and its old and has cracks and you have to work to get deflection at all. What say you coil guys. Worth punching out this soggy rubber in favor of polly . When someone racks the wheel back and forth , you clearly see the movement at the axle mount before the wheels move. After two day of checking everything this is what I suspect . Yes ? NO ? FjR68
MDSRACING398

You said new trackbar was Installed I think. Check to see if bolt is right size. I know all my stuff was made for bigger bolts so had to drill everything out.
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Mark , You are correct . The TB (Brand)? is adjustable and new . It came with a 7/16th bolt that fits the sleeve well. The hole in the bracket is for a 12mm bolt. Had to drill the sleeve out for a 12 mil. About .020 . The bushing rubber itself is just to soft ? You can see the bar moving before it turns the wheels, but by then the rubber is collapsed and it moves the steering. If Im right , the trac Bars only job is to hold the axle from moving L/R ? Im gonna get a poly bushing Mon and see what it does. The man paid for an alignment but the cams for caster have never been moved , well not recently . So Hes gonna take it to another shop and do it again. Everything else is new , Its got to be this . FjR68
MDSRACING398

There is no cam movement on the newer Tjs.
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

How do the get caster ?????? Different cams altogether ? Either way , The bolts have enough rust to prove they didnt do caster. UPDATE , Got a poly bushing yesterday (Moog) and installed it. TaDa , you can drive it with one hand and not be afraid of turning the wheel. Felt so much more stable hitting bumps and storm drains. Didnt try to get on the side walk. Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions . Its great knowing I have a whole library at my disposal . FjR68
MDSRACING398

No caster adjustment. Why most put adjustable control arms. You can buy a cam bolt kit but I think its minimal.
Semper Fi