Onboard Air

DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Onboard Air

Unread post by DaThug »

I'm looking at the next new thing... What are the different units people have for onboard air compressors? How quickly does it inflate 35's?

I'm looking at the ARB High Output OnBoard Air Compressor ( https://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_90XX_PG.htm ).
Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Onboard Air

Unread post by Lisah311 »

I have the arb twin air. It’s pretty fast, although I’ve never timed it. I plan on eventually running air lockers with that. I mounted it under the passenger seat and it’s out of the way. I really wanted the PowerTank,, but getting those filled can be a hassle.
2005 Rubicon
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I have the twin also mounted under the seat, it’s pretty quick. The single will get the job done, just a little slower. I mounted a 2 gallon air tank above the rear axle for my air lockers and to run air tools, kinda small for that but ok with short bursts
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Take a look at the Viair on board air systems Marcy. They offer a complete kit for a reasonable price. You just have to figure where to mount it , inside or outside. Quadratec has them.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

I went with twin Viair and a tank. It airs up very nicely. Compressors are in the back using the factory jack location and the tank is where the factory muffler use to be.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

I run ARB twin as well. Mounted under the passenger seat. I can go from 10 PSI to 28 psi on my 37 in tires in roughly 12 minutes. It is pretty quick. I do run air lockers off of it with no tank other than the manifold kit ARB has. It will cycle a second or so every couple times I switch the lockers but it's fast and not exceptionally loud. I have a tank I might add to the system again but haven't decided. I replaced my air tools with 20V Dewalt stuff and the only thing I might miss without a tank is some compressed air in high volumes to blow something off with an air gun.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Marcy. What kind of lockers did u got with. I have air lockers so just use same compressor for tires.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Converted the AC compressor....but who inflates tires now?
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

[quote="ImNotCassie"]Marcy. What kind of lockers did u got with. I have air lockers so just use same compressor for tires.

I have air lockers, he put in a very small compress under the passenger seat, it won't do tires. I looked at the twin, it said it was capable of air tools,etc which seemed like more than I needed so I looked at the single since I have one for the lockers already.

Scott strongly recommended a tank for inflating but I just don't want to deal with a tank, I have 0 storage and the electric on-board is so much easier.
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

I hard mounted a relatively cheap Q Industries MV89G dual cylinder compressor years ago and it’s still doing the job. Fill rate is decent for big tires. Not good for air tools but for filling tires it’s great.
Lisah311

DaThug wrote:
ImNotCassie wrote:Marcy. What kind of lockers did u got with. I have air lockers so just use same compressor for tires.

I have air lockers, he put in a very small compress under the passenger seat, it won't do tires. I looked at the twin, it said it was capable of air tools,etc which seemed like more than I needed so I looked at the single since I have one for the lockers already.

Scott strongly recommended a tank for inflating but I just don't want to deal with a tank, I have 0 storage and the electric on-board is so much easier.

Who’s this guy you take your jeep to? I’m surprised he would he install an air compressor that works for lockers but if you want future on-board air, it won’t cut it. I’d suggest removing the small compressor under the seat and installing a bigger set up that can support your lockers and tires if storage is an issue. The twin isn’t overkill, just because it can run air tools. I would always go with too much as opposed to too little. And it’s under the seat so it’s out of the way. You can also mount it in the engine compartment instead.
2005 Rubicon
DaThug

Unread post by DaThug »

Hes a good guy, Scott at Central Mass. I didn't mention on board air until after the lockers, it wasn't something I was thinking of anytime soon. But my compressor is a pain in the ass so I started looking into options.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Save your money, don’t worry about on board air. I have a compressor I bought off eBay for $50 bucks 6-7 years ago. Fills my 33’s from 13psi to 30 in just a few minutes, all 4 done in under 15 minutes. Many brands have used it, but you can buy it at pepboys for $70 bucks, likely less elsewhere. Just search for mv50 compressor. As far as storage, take out the rear seat, get a very sturdy box/tub/bin from wallyworld and ratchet strap it down in the back.

If the small compressor works for the lockers, don’t mess with it. My TJ has two small compressors, one for each of the factory lockers. I’ve had zero issue with em.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

$59 /prime shipping

12 Volt Air Compressor, Portable Air Pump, 12 volt, Tire Inflator, Air Compressor by MasterFlow for Inflating Full Size 4 x4, Truck, SUV and RV Tires

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L9AD2U/re ... aBb353K61M

(Another bonus, it can be used for all vehicles since it’s portable)
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Lisah311

DaThug wrote:Hes a good guy, Scott at Central Mass. I didn't mention on board air until after the lockers, it wasn't something I was thinking of anytime soon. But my compressor is a pain in the ass so I started looking into options.

I see. Working on a jeep takes lots of planning for sure. It’s hard to see what you’ll want in the future, and it’s often inevitable you’ll have to swap parts out and upgrade things that haven’t even broken because of other features you want. (Why I’m holding off on lockers before upgrading my axels)

The jeep struggle is real.
2005 Rubicon