Quality shop time and another axle down.

Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Quality shop time and another axle down.

Unread post by Richl35 »

Finally got a day off from work (only the 3rd day off since Xmas). Took the rare opportunity to get in the shop and throw my axle together. Tera 44 housing, Dynatrac ball joints, Motive Gear 4.88s, ARB locker, and 35 spline RCVs. Capping it off with high steer knuckles and some 1.5 ton steering components. Front down and rear to go...

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Quality shop time and another axle down.

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Looking good, wish I could set up my own gears
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

RandyCarol wrote:Looking good, wish I could set up my own gears
Thanks! I do a lot of gear swaps. So many it was worth buying ALL the tools to set them up. Takes the guess work out and speeds up the job considerably.
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

What do you have planned for the rear??
2005 Rubicon
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

The rear is the stock Dana 44 housing that I already have an ARB locker, 4.88s and chromoly axles in. I'm going to strip the axle bare of internals and all the brackets and mounts. Then I'm going to weld in all new heavy-duty Artec control arm mounts, track bar mount, spring perches and a truss. I want to beef up the axle a bit but also compensate the geometry for the lift so that my spring perches are level when my driveshaft angle is correct. With the current 3.5" lift and slight stretch I ended up with a lot of coil bow even with coil wedges. Then I'm going to convert the ARB Locker to 35 spline and install a set of G2 gold Placer chromoly axles. Install a 1350 drive shaft yoke and an Adams driveshaft.
So that's it..
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Mikmaq »

Insane build! Not much that you will not be able to tackle out on the trails. I look forward to seeing the build process, the final result, and seeing it in action. Nice job man.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I use "Artec" to install 8.8s into TJs . They have the truss/links,brackets all laser cut with tabs and slots to just make it so easy. Good quality and spot on directions . You still seam to have "Bow" to some degree . I found buy cutting off the upper buckets and swapping them side to side make for a good alignment of the springs. The uppers have to be moved to make it perfectly straight without using shims. FjR68
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Mikmaq wrote: I look forward to seeing the build process, the final result, and seeing it in action.

Me too! haha.. Thanks!
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Frank wrote:I use "Artec" to install 8.8s into TJs . They have the truss/links,brackets all laser cut with tabs and slots to just make it so easy. Good quality and spot on directions . You still seam to have "Bow" to some degree . I found buy cutting off the upper buckets and swapping them side to side make for a good alignment of the springs. The uppers have to be moved to make it perfectly straight without using shims. FjR68

Artec makes some nice HD stuff. The slots and tabs take some guesswork out of everything but I will have to see what I can and cannot use when positioning everything. The spring perches I have not only will let me rotate them on the axle but are extended for the 1" stretch so I can put the spring back to level and center the bottom to the upper spring mount as well. The stretch was to center the 37" tire in the wheel well without rubbing on pinch seams when stuffed. It works well as it is now but bothers me because I just don't feel like it's right. So out it comes...
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

That build is a complete joke and junk. Tell you what I will do though. I will come and take the axle off your hands so you don't get made fun of on the trail.
:)
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

schwalby wrote:That build is a complete joke and junk. Tell you what I will do though. I will come and take the axle off your hands so you don't get made fun of on the trail.
:)
You know what? This is why I patiently waited on the waiting list for a year to join this GREAT club. To think I almost made the mistake of bolting this axle under my Jeep. What an embarrassment that would have been and I almost didn't realize it. But thankfully this club is made up of fine gentlemen (and gentlewomen) such as yourself willing to fall on the sword to save me from almost making such a horrendous mistake. Things like this from people like you warms my soul and fills me with a belief that the world still has hope.
So I guess I should tell you where the axle is so you can come get it.. First take the second left after the grey house with the chimney. You know the one... The one with the driveway with the car in it. Then after about 3 miles (could be 6 miles as I usually drive pretty fast there) take the first right when you pass the big oak tree on the wooded lot where I saw that deer dart out in front of me that time. I think my skid marks are still there so watch for those. Then go down the street a little ways but if you see a brick house with a shed in the back yard (not the first one of course) then you went to far. Just turn around then go back a little bit and take the fork or the rotary to your left. I can't remember which one. If it's the 4 way rotary take the 5th exit and drive till you see the white work van with the ladders on the roof. Don't go to early during the day though as he won't be home and you will miss it. I usually see him there around 7pm. Once you go past the van take the 3rd (or second) right and you are almost there. Go through 3 sets of lights and just past the Dunkin Donuts and look for the mailbox on the left. Turn into the driveway immediately after that and I'll be their waiting.

See you soon! Hahaha...
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

LOL that is awesome.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

schwalby wrote:LOL that is awesome.

I try my best! Haha...
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Just curious, for the money and time, why not a Dana 60?
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Just curious, for the money and time, why not a Dana 60?
Good question and a simple answer. The cheapest version of a 60 I would have built would have been a min of $3000 more than the 44 because I wanted to build something new. It's heavier and has less clearance at the pumpkin. I don't want to replace my pratically new 5 lug wheels for another $1900 for 8 lug beadlocks (because I know me) and I already have big brakes also. You end up with slightly worse gas mileage for driver during the summer and most of all I off-road my Jeep like I need to drive it home... because I do. I have realistic expectations of what I am willing to do to and in my Jeep and the 44 is plenty of axle for me. Let's not forget I would then go on ANOTHER spending spree to pick up a 14 bolt that I would then have to strip, shave, and build for the rear. There's another $4500...

Time wise isn't a huge concern but building out the 44 was done in an afternoon.

My goal with the Jeep is to make it off-road capable but a driver as well. LS3 / 6l80E , some axle upgrades, 4-1 Rubi case, 37s and a bunch of other stuff. I want to be as happy in my Jeep for a 300mi ride up the highway as I am in my truck. But then have the ability to run Field and Forest...

When I build the buggy... Then we will use a set of tons for sure. But I'm going to drive that a whole lot differently!