Skid plates and diff covers

Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Skid plates and diff covers

Unread post by Mikmaq »

Hi guys. Just wondering if those of you that have skid plates did you also change your diff cover? Is it unnecessary with skid plate protection? I am planning a regear very soon and I thought what a good time to replace the stock diff cover with one more stout. I know I need (should) at a bare minimum get skids but just wondering if any of you have doubled up. Thank you.

I am looking to wheel on moderate trails and every now and then try a tougher trail that is not insane. I watched some of the videos you guys have posted and some of your wheeling is awesome!
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: Skid plates and diff covers

Unread post by KenCal »

It's not a bad idea to upgrade the diff covers to protect them, it will certainly give you peace of mind. Poison Spyder bombshell are a good choice. Maybe others here will give you some advice.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Don’t do the diff skids, you lose about an inch clearance and that’s the same difference between, say, 33” and 35” tires. The poison spyder ones are a good choice like Ken says but the stock ones hold up pretty good I’d you grind the bottom lip down so they don’t catch on rocks and get peeled back
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Until you get some trail time and learn where everything is under the vehicle, you'll likely hit your diffs at some point. Diff covers are one of the essential protection items as they are the lowest point under the vehicle. You puncture/mangle a diff cover, and you aren't driving home.

Invest in a good cover. Some lockers you get come with a cover as a part of the system (cable/electrical/air actuated) so keep that in mind. I use the SOLID brand covers (link) and very happy with them. When you purchase them or any other, invest in a set of Lube Lockers (link). It'll make servicing the diffs in the future much easier.

As far as the rest of the skids, crawl under the jeep, look to see what could get hit while on trail, and decide what needs protection.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Mikmaq
BSJ Member

Unread post by Mikmaq »

A lot of good information guys. I never took into consideration the added depth of using a diff skid or slider. Diff covers have made the list and from what I read about the lube lockers they seem to make life a whole lot easier.

Randy and Ken, I have a 2015 JK Sport 6 speed manual. I am wondering what your JK set up is?

Thanks guys.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Mikmaq wrote:A lot of good information guys. I never took into consideration the added depth of using a diff skid or slider. Diff covers have made the list and from what I read about the lube lockers they seem to make life a whole lot easier.

Randy and Ken, I have a 2015 JK Sport 6 speed manual. I am wondering what your JK set up is?

Thanks guys.
You can see my list of mods in my signature below. Besides the stubby antenna I have a 3.5” lift and 37’s. I also am now fully armored. It’s a ‘13 JKR and also a manual. Your list will change as you get out there and get a feel for what you need/want.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: You puncture/mangle a diff cover, and you aren't driving home.
Unless you weld it with two batteries and 6013 rod. :music-rockout:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I agree on the diff covers and the lube locker. I've nudged the stock ones and they started leaking. Since replacing them with heavy duty covers and lube lockers I've had no issues and it's been several years. If you do need to get in there, the lube lockers are reusable.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: You puncture/mangle a diff cover, and you aren't driving home.
Unless you weld it with two batteries and 6013 rod. :music-rockout:
In the dark on a gravel road wearing 4 pairs of sunglasses in Utah :lol:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

You telling me he couldnt fix it with a length of chain ? :) FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I'm a follower of the Armor before lift and tires, so I have a full underbody, Evap Armor (needs to be installed) both diffs (only one on so far, the other on a nice Saturday whenever those start). and still acquiring my sliders, but should have them soon, and having a shop put them on (don't trust myself to both drill into the body for the Nutserts, and to weld parts onto the frame (looking at the EVO Boatsides)). I only have a leveling kit and 32"s on the jeep so far, but plan on a 3.5 with flat fenders and 37"s eventually...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Mikmaq
BSJ Member

Unread post by Mikmaq »

I agree the armor is a necessity and in the long run is the better choice. If you guys are welding with two car batteries, jumper cables, and welding rods in the field that is a party I want to be at. Thank you guys for passing on your experience. I am soaking it all in.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I found the bombshell covers to be good covers and actually some of the cheaper ones on the market (which is a shocker for a poison spider product). Certainly an area of the jeep that you NEED to protect. Can you wheel without the stuff, sure, but if your not careful you will need a lift home some day. Plate it to your liking, and budget at the time. Start with some of the important areas first, and work out from there. Spend the money and get some good solid skids if your not putting a lift on first you will need them.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Mikmaq
BSJ Member

Unread post by Mikmaq »

I looked at a few Jeep webpages and saw pretty much the same diff covers and even the prices were just about the same on each page. I am going to go with the Spyder diff covers and lube lockers, easy investment.

JK owners did you just plate over the evap canister or did you use the evap relocation kit and then plate over or not?

Thanks again for the info guys.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Mikmaq wrote:

JK owners did you just plate over the evap canister or did you use the evap relocation kit and then plate over or not?

Thanks again for the info guys.
Either option will work fine. If you think you will eventually have on board air you can mount a small tank above the axle so it might be better to save that spot for that.