ORV Registration Question

You can talk about anything here
Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

ORV Registration Question

Unread post by Emoto »

Was browsing the site and came across this page: http://baystatejeepers.com/resources/

It says, in part:

Off-Highway Recreational Vehicles in MA
In 2010, changes were made to MA laws regarding off-highway recreational vehicles. If you leave a public way you are now required to register your Jeep as an offroad vehicle. If you do not, you could be fined by the MA Environmental Police. This must be done initially at a Boat, OHV and Snowmobile Registration Bureau office but may then be renewed online every two years.

All ORVs must be currently registered in Massachusetts under MGL c. 90B. New Massachusetts Recreation Vehicle Laws require the display of registration on the left and right side of the vehicle. Additionally, motor vehicles registered under chapter 90 must now also register as a recreation vehicle under chapter 90B (on/off road motorcycles, Jeeps, etc.) when used for recreation or pleasure once they leave a public way as defined in chapter 90. Out of state recreation vehicle registrations are not valid in Massachusetts. Contact the Division of Environmental Law Enforcement for registration information: (617)626-1610 or Registration

Anyway, is this old info? Everything I have been able to find SEEMS to indicate that MA only considers dirtbikes and ATVs to be ORVs, and not jeeps.

What is the correct thinking on this? If I am going to participate in club events, I want to make sure I have all of my papers in order, etc.

Thanks!

Bob
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: ORV Registration Question

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

In the States eyes your jeep is around a 4000cc four wheeler. A lot of us have the registration, a lot don't. We do not require you to have it. I have not ever seen an issue first hand. But I do know a few people in another club got fined. With that said they don't exactly legally wheel. I have it just because you never know.

Search it here in the forum was a pretty lengthy discussion about it last year.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

That link is in members only area.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Here is how to obtain one of the OHV permits for your Jeep.
Kurt wrote:OHV permits are not issued by the RMV. They are issued at different state offices which issue OHV permits, Boat registrations and the like.
Here is a write up I did a year ago on how to get a OHV sticker for your Jeep for Mass registered rigs.

OK, I ran the gauntlet at the Worcester office and came away with my OHV stickers.
Here's the process for in state registered vehicles (street registered).

The vehicle registrations does NOT have to be current to get the ATV permit. So if you've let your registration lapse you can still use your expired registration to get your ATV permit.

First step
Print out and then fill out by hand the ATV registration form from the state website.
http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech ... ngform.pdf
Select ATV, Registration Only and fill in all the other generic stuff.

Take this, a check for $44 payable to the "Commonwealth Of Mass", and your Jeeps registration to the Boat & ATV registration office.
I went to the one on Worcester at 67 Millbrook Street in Suite 350 (3rd floor). DOR office is right across the hall.

Once there..
Go directly to the Department Of Revenue (DOR) office directly across the hall. Sit down at one of the terminals and fill out form ST-6E which is a sales tax exemption form. Select ATV. The form assumes you just bought your "ATV". For seller you can just plug in any name (I used my brothers). For the sellers address just list your own. For selling price just enter "0". For purchase date use the current date.
All these directions were per the DOR representative.
Print out two copies at the printer next to the terminal.

Next...
Go across the hall to the Boat & ATV registration office.
Present them with (1) copy of the form ST-6E, your Jeeps registration and the completed copy of the application form. Once done hand them a check for $44 and you get your stickers and registration card.

The ATV permit is good for 2 years from date of issue so it's $22 per year.
They will notify you when it's about to expire and can be renewed on-line.

The vehicle registrations does NOT have to be current to get the ATV permit.

The people at both the DOR and registry office were very helpful. :)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yipjeep wrote:That link is in members only area.
Sorry - I just searched for it in my old posts. Didn't realize it was in the Members Only Area. But I'm glad I read it again. It reminded me I owe another $22 annual fee for my stickers!
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Emoto
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by Emoto »

Thanks, guys!
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Update: Went today to the Worcester office for my ORV Reg. The rep Debra was super friendly and very helpful. She said that if your Jeep is street registered / paid sales tax at time of initial registration, you do not need the ST-6E for from the DOR. I was in and out in 10 minutes which included 4 minutes of small talk.

The office is about 10 min from my house. If anyone has trouble getting there I am happy to try and make the run if we get a few applications and simply mail them out to people.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Great to hear they are streamlining the process!
Was silly to have to fill out the ST-6E.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Just did mine, no different being from out of state
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Renewal is even easier. They send you a notice in the mail, you send them a check and a SASE and they send you new sticker.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
ChristopherM
BSJ Member

Unread post by ChristopherM »

Kurt wrote:Here is how to obtain one of the OHV permits for your Jeep.
Kurt wrote:OHV permits are not issued by the RMV. They are issued at different state offices which issue OHV permits, Boat registrations and the like.
Here is a write up I did a year ago on how to get a OHV sticker for your Jeep for Mass registered rigs.

OK, I ran the gauntlet at the Worcester office and came away with my OHV stickers.
Here's the process for in state registered vehicles (street registered).

The vehicle registrations does NOT have to be current to get the ATV permit. So if you've let your registration lapse you can still use your expired registration to get your ATV permit.

First step
Print out and then fill out by hand the ATV registration form from the state website.
http://www.mass.gov/eea/grants-and-tech ... ngform.pdf
Select ATV, Registration Only and fill in all the other generic stuff.

Take this, a check for $44 payable to the "Commonwealth Of Mass", and your Jeeps registration to the Boat & ATV registration office.
I went to the one on Worcester at 67 Millbrook Street in Suite 350 (3rd floor). DOR office is right across the hall.

Once there..
Go directly to the Department Of Revenue (DOR) office directly across the hall. Sit down at one of the terminals and fill out form ST-6E which is a sales tax exemption form. Select ATV. The form assumes you just bought your "ATV". For seller you can just plug in any name (I used my brothers). For the sellers address just list your own. For selling price just enter "0". For purchase date use the current date.
All these directions were per the DOR representative.
Print out two copies at the printer next to the terminal.

Next...
Go across the hall to the Boat & ATV registration office.
Present them with (1) copy of the form ST-6E, your Jeeps registration and the completed copy of the application form. Once done hand them a check for $44 and you get your stickers and registration card.

The ATV permit is good for 2 years from date of issue so it's $22 per year.
They will notify you when it's about to expire and can be renewed on-line.

The vehicle registrations does NOT have to be current to get the ATV permit.

The people at both the DOR and registry office were very helpful. :)
FYI, I just did mine (first one) by snail mail today - no need to go to the office. The form you need is here: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... ngform.pdf and to make sure I was doing it right, I called the Springfield office to ask about the procedure. The officer on the phone said just fill out the form, and mail it in with a copy of the registration and a check for $44.

I was going to mail it to the address in Boston listed at the top of the form, but she said they are slow and to mail it to the Springfield office (Massachusetts Environmental Police, 1 Federal St, Bldg 101, Springfield MA 01105) because they turn all their mail around same day.

FYI: IMPORTANT TIDBIT I LEARNED: She asked if it was a rush, and I said no, and besides I could keep a photo copy of the check and application in my Jeep and I would probably be OK if I got pulled over before my sticker arrived, right? She said ABSOLUTELY NOT. She said their officers would still issue a citation, and would tow my Jeep. Might have just been scare tactics, but it got my attention. Here's hoping the sticker comes soon.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

@ChristopherM I've heard of a handful of people getting ticketed for not having a sticker but NEVER heard of anyone being towed. In fact it would really make no sense to send a tow truck into an off road location just to hook you up due to the lack of an OHV registration. I wouldn't think twice about that statement.

Thanks for the info on mailing it in though! that will be really useful for a lot of us. :bluesbros:

cheers
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
JohnC
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by JohnC »

@ChristopherM Did the registration ever come back? If this can be done by mail, it is a great innovation.