It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I’m still registered at house in NH but want to switch to MA. Inspection is only hesitation
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

RandyCarol wrote:I’m still registered at house in NH but want to switch to MA. Inspection is only hesitation
just move back into NH. duh.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
DaveP
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by DaveP »

Just got my inspection today in Lowell. No problems with 35s, 2.5" lift and tires sticking out beyond fenders. I did put some mud flaps on to provide "sufficient coverage" for spray. Don't know if I needed them or not.

I also contacted the DMV regarding the differences between 540 CMR 4.00 and Chapter 90 Section 19 on fenders. They said inspections are conducted to 540 CMR 4.0 and the police enforce Chapter 90.
From 540 CMR 4.00
(12) Bumpers, Fenders, External Sheet Metal and Fuel Tank. A Certificate of Rejection shall be issued if any of the following conditions are evident:
(c) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR), which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

From MA General Laws Part 1, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 19
Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use.
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by DaThug »

I think this year there is some leeway in some shops but I'm thinking that may be gone next year. I took Melinda's in to the dealer today to have my old 32's installed and the computer updated and got a warning. I ended up talking to the service manager for awhile on the inspections and his take was a bit harsher than what I've heard. Don't know why he would bull poop me given I was in there doing nothing major, nor did I have my rig.

He said that they take photos with the cameras and do follow up with shops after the fact if one is passed and shouldn't have and the shop gets in trouble. That there are new laws this year that lifts are illegal and that the wheels can't extend past the fender flare. I had read somewhere they could by 2". He said they are really cracking down and it's a big issue for people who have modified and been driving on the roads for years. That he can't believe the state is making such a big deal over this stuff.

I've always gone to the local Sunco gas station / mechanic to get my sticker, but it's a different guy every year. Getting a little nervous as the months go by. I thought about registering mine in CT but haven't looked into if I can to that legally. Someone mentioned that might be an issue with car insurance if something happened. Why my jeep is CT and I live in MA.

Need to start having some conversations with my congressman again.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

How did "Cassandra" get by 540cmr 4.00 part "C" ??????????????????? :) Ive heard the biggest issue is the tires sticking out past the flares for failing . Wouldnt it be easier to get skinny tires and share the in the club ? FjR68
Richl35
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee

Unread post by Richl35 »

DaThug wrote: Need to start having some conversations with my congressman again.

Exactly! They work to represent the people right? I'm wondering about how many citizens of MA wanted this?
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Frank wrote:How did "Cassandra" get by 540cmr 4.00 part "C" ??????????????????? :) Ive heard the biggest issue is the tires sticking out past the flares for failing . Wouldnt it be easier to get skinny tires and share the in the club ? FjR68
THIS -
".....Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use. ..."
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

OMG ! Sidewall too ? I thought Ct. had a Richard Cranium for a Governor ! FjR68