Inspection Stations

You can talk about anything here
Curmudgeon
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by Curmudgeon »

Freddie at the mobile station in Georgetown Ma is great for an easy inspection . Not sure where you are located tho .... Jim
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Don't post names here. It's a public section.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Revan
Jeep Year: 2006
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Revan »

ZAEDOCK wrote:The requirements are in 540 CMR 6.00. The Calc is WB x Track width / 2200 (safety factor) + 1" man tolerance.

That height increase includes both lift and tires together.
That's not quite correct.
The calculation, TW x WB /2200 is for mechanical lift. Lets say the result is 3"
You can now increase the largest factory tire diameter by that mechanical lift value... 3"
This maximum combined lift is the sum of the two 'lifts'...mechanical + half tire diameter increase... 3" + 1.5" =4.5" + the 1" allowed for variance, so 5.5".
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Revan wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:The requirements are in 540 CMR 6.00. The Calc is WB x Track width / 2200 (safety factor) + 1" man tolerance.

The calculation, TW x WB /2200 is for mechanical lift. Lets say the result is 3"
You can now increase the largest factory tire diameter by that mechanical lift value... 3"
This maximum combined lift is the sum of the two 'lifts'...mechanical + half tire diameter increase... 3" + 1.5" =4.5" + the 1" allowed for variance, so 5.5".
I was told that the calculation was the "max total lift", not the max mechanical (suspension) lift and that there was a tire lift calculation and the max lift was a sum of the two... Also, one thing that is specifically not noted in any of the laws was Body lift. From what I can gather, it can be as high as you want, which is Stupid, But then again the whole law in MA is Stupid...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Revan

Unread post by Revan »

BlackKnight wrote: I was told that the calculation was the "max total lift", not the max mechanical (suspension) lift and that there was a tire lift calculation and the max lift was a sum of the two... Also, one thing that is specifically not noted in any of the laws was Body lift. From what I can gather, it can be as high as you want, which is Stupid, But then again the whole law in MA is Stupid...
There is the mechanical lift, i.e. the suspension. This is the calculated part.

There is also tire size increase which is equal to the mechanical lift value as a diameter increase.

The MAX is effectively 1.5 x the mechanical plus the 1" allowance.

It's all spelled out in 540 cmr 6.05 1 and 2 along with 6.06 1.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Revan wrote:
BlackKnight wrote: I was told that the calculation was the "max total lift", not the max mechanical (suspension) lift and that there was a tire lift calculation and the max lift was a sum of the two... Also, one thing that is specifically not noted in any of the laws was Body lift. From what I can gather, it can be as high as you want, which is Stupid, But then again the whole law in MA is Stupid...
There is the mechanical lift, i.e. the suspension. This is the calculated part.

There is also tire size increase which is equal to the mechanical lift value as a diameter increase.

The MAX is effectively 1.5 x the mechanical plus the 1" allowance.

It's all spelled out in 540 cmr 6.05 1 and 2 along with 6.06 1.
Is the tire size based on the Largest OEM available for that specific model (Rubi, Safari, Sport Etc)? or the Class (JK, JKU, JL), (ex. I have a sport, but the Rubicon has the biggest tire size from OEM, which I believe is either 32 or 33's where Sport was like 29/30's, so can I use a Rubicon as the base of my measurement showing that I have a JKU (with specific model being sport rather than Rubi). This my Max tire can be 4 inches above Max OEM Rubi which could be as large as a 37", and with the calculation coming to 3.85 (or thereabouts) I could go with a 4" Suspension and 37's which is close to what I wanted to begin with (either 37-40's was my choice and a lift/flat fenders to fit them).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Revan wrote:

Semantics.

Right off the bat, you're calculation is incorrect because:
Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.

(3)
Reconstructed motor vehicles shall be limited to the maximum combined lift allowed for the particular chassis used, in accordance with the applicable provisions of 540 CMR 6.05(1) and (2), i.e. a vehicle having a 65" track, 105" wheel base, and an original manufacturer's door height of 21" is allowed a maximum combined lift of four inches above the original manufacturer's door height. Accordingly, the lower edge of the door, door edge line or floor panel, as stipulated in the general requirements of 540 CMR 6.00, of any unladen body mounted on such chassis may not exceed 25" above the level surface upon which the vehicle rests.

Looking at their example, 65" x 105" = 6825" / 2200 = 3.10 aka 3"

The tire size can go up 3" as well, say 30" to 33" - an increase in 1.5" in height. Well, looking at the example and knowing fractions are excluded in the calculations, you can actually only have 1" in additional tire height, so a 32" tire is MAX. Then there is the 1" tolerance.
Last edited by ZAEDOCK on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

BlackKnight wrote:This my Max tire can be 4 inches above Max OEM Rubi which could be as large as a 37", and with the calculation coming to 3.85 (or thereabouts) I could go with a 4" Suspension and 37's which is close to what I wanted to begin with (either 37-40's was my choice and a lift/flat fenders to fit them).
Fractions can not be used in the lift calculation, unfortunately. 3.85" means 3" to the state.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Revan

Unread post by Revan »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
Semantics.

Right off the bat, you're calculation is incorrect because:
Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.

(3)
Reconstructed motor vehicles shall be limited to the maximum combined lift allowed for the particular chassis used, in accordance with the applicable provisions of 540 CMR 6.05(1) and (2), i.e. a vehicle having a 65" track, 105" wheel base, and an original manufacturer's door height of 21" is allowed a maximum combined lift of four inches above the original manufacturer's door height. Accordingly, the lower edge of the door, door edge line or floor panel, as stipulated in the general requirements of 540 CMR 6.00, of any unladen body mounted on such chassis may not exceed 25" above the level surface upon which the vehicle rests.

Looking at their example, 65" x 105" = 6825" / 2200 = 3.10 aka 3"

The tire size can go up 3" as well, say 30" to 33" - an increase in 1.5" in height. Well, looking at the example and knowing fractions are excluded in the calculations, you can actually only have 1" in additional tire height, so a 32" tire is MAX. Then there is the 1" tolerance.
I choose to round to the nearest whole number as any one with two synchronized brain cells would...but then, this IS the state of MA. I've really grown to hate this state.

Cheers,
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I dont know what all the hubbub is about. I passed no problem. The only question was " How do you get in that thing? I want to see it"
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Revan

Unread post by Revan »

ImNotCassie wrote:I dont know what all the hubbub is about. I passed no problem. The only question was " How do you get in that thing? I want to see it"
For me, it's about formulating a plan of action should my Jeep not pass as it sits right now. I'd like to know, if an inspector actually measures it, at what places is it measured and what is the max dimension allowed at those points.
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Revan wrote:
ImNotCassie wrote:I dont know what all the hubbub is about. I passed no problem. The only question was " How do you get in that thing? I want to see it"
For me, it's about formulating a plan of action should my Jeep not pass as it sits right now. I'd like to know, if an inspector actually measures it, at what places is it measured and what is the max dimension allowed at those points.
The place I went measured nothing. They took photos of the vin & I think the license plate. If you jeep hit the overhead doors, they may question. I've heard some people say the shop just stopped inspecting lifter vehicles. My suggestion is going, chances are if the left u in the bay, there is no issue. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

What about just pulling up to the shop and asking someone to look at it? You could establish a dialogue and get their input. I didn't realize that not only can an individual inspector have his inspection license revoked but, I was told by an inspector that they can go after his driver's license as well. Although there doesn't appear to be a lot of room for negotiation when it comes to inspections, sometimes a conversation can go along way. I was apprehensive about getting mine done after lifting it and doing tires but I had a really productive conversation with the guys, no strings pulled or corners cut In the end it all worked out. I was so hung up on the numbers and height that I missed a side marker bulb being burnt out....
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Mikmaq »

"What about just pulling up to the shop and asking someone to look at it? You could establish a dialogue and get their input"

Exactly what I did to see what size lift I would purchase. The owner gave the book answer and then followed with "if you do a 3.5" lift I am not going to give you any problems".

The old standby of keeping stock wheels and tires could be used also, but on the surface is a blatant circumvention of the intended law, however, if the vehicle in question is now in compliance then it should be passed. I said the Hell with it and I am going with a 3.5" lift, 35x12.5 tires, and flats. I will address the problem if it becomes a problem.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

You can do 2.5 and flats with 35’s
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s