Inspection Stations

You can talk about anything here
bustedjeep10
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by bustedjeep10 »

i am going for my new sticker in march,3.5 lift but runing my winter tires 265/17 on stock wheels will keep you posted here in westfield
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

shortbus wrote:
ImNotCassie wrote:I went the other day. Passed with no changes,, the hockey pucks on peddles never came off and my jack blocks head lighys. The only question was, how do you get in that?
so how do you get in it rope ladder?
Red Bull, it gives you wings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

RandyCarol wrote:Any update on how these new inspection procedures are going? People having a tougher time getting stickers or was it all hype?
Been a while since I responded in on this. I went back to the Dealer to get the sticker. They came back with a question after they passed me, and asked what I had in it for any lift and I said it was stock with bigger than JKU Sport tires (32's). and spacers to keep them from rubbing. They replied back that they were considering failing with the spacers, but as the tires were still "covered" by the fenders they were "legal". Tire coverage, they said, was the only reason for them to be "illegal".
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
zenfire1

Unread post by zenfire1 »

I've gotten a sticker twice now. Got a lecture about fenders not covering tires, but still passed. Helps I've been going there 15 years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2013 JK Sport, 3" TeraFlex Lift, 35" Toyo OpenCountry MT
Warn Winch 8s & front bumper, skid plates
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Mikmaq »

I just stopped at an inspection station in my area that is known to be a little "forgiving", but with the mandatory cameras now, that might get challenging. I go the the standard formula answer and told them the lift I am looking at is 3.5". They said I should be fine, we shall see. To be safe I guess I will keep my stock tires and wheels.

Zenfire what are you running for a wheel and its backspacing with that TF lift? I know TF says using their lift requires a wheel that has no more BS of 4.5". How far does the 35" tire stick out and are you still running stock fenders? I am going with a 3.5" lift, Nitto 35x12.50, steel wheel with a BS of 4.25"
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I feel for you guys every time I see this topic come up. I went to an inspection station 15 yrs. ago when "Mona" was new to me. Guy said , To old , get outta here. I said by ! Never to be seen by an inspector again ----- Lovin this crappy state FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Mikmaq wrote:I just stopped at an inspection station in my area that is known to be a little "forgiving", but with the mandatory cameras now, that might get challenging. I go the the standard formula answer and told them the lift I am looking at is 3.5". They said I should be fine, we shall see. To be safe I guess I will keep my stock tires and wheels.

Zenfire what are you running for a wheel and its backspacing with that TF lift? I know TF says using their lift requires a wheel that has no more BS of 4.5". How far does the 35" tire stick out and are you still running stock fenders? I am going with a 3.5" lift, Nitto 35x12.50, steel wheel with a BS of 4.25"
From what I understand, with the calculation, there is up to <1" (or whatever less than looks like I always screw them up) amount of wiggle. My JKU calculation comes to 3.75, which I was told allowed for a 4" lift and still be "legal"...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

If it doesn't look stupidly illegal and unsafe it will pass.

Life lesson 101, make a relationship with a shop, bank, contractor, etc. Don't just jump around to whoever's cheapest. There is still a lot to be said for loyal customers no matter what the situation.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote:If it doesn't look stupidly illegal and unsafe it will pass.

Life lesson 101, make a relationship with a shop, bank, contractor, etc. Don't just jump around to whoever's cheapest. There is still a lot to be said for loyal customers no matter what the situation.
Absolutely!! Always great Advice to follow..
--
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Inspection update: Turned away at the door. I was told that anything over a 2" lift was illegal. 2.5" lift and 35s. Too high and too wide. I'll be going back with my " inspection wheels" which will drop the whole Jeep by 3". Stay tuned for further " inflammation".
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

JeepAddict wrote:Inspection update: Turned away at the door. I was told that anything over a 2" lift was illegal. 2.5" lift and 35s. Too high and too wide. I'll be going back with my " inspection wheels" which will drop the whole Jeep by 3". Stay tuned for further " inflammation".
If this shop was following the letter of the law, they'll turn you away again. They can recognize skirting a loop hole by throwing inspection tires on it. You may want to put the tires on and try somewhere else.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

JeepAddict wrote:Inspection update: Turned away at the door. I was told that anything over a 2" lift was illegal. 2.5" lift and 35s. Too high and too wide. I'll be going back with my " inspection wheels" which will drop the whole Jeep by 3". Stay tuned for further " inflammation".
If he went by the book and used the formula he would know a 4 door is 3.5” lift and there is a -/+ 1” for manufacturing variances. Sounds like he doesn’t want to bother with it, not worth the little money they get from an inspection. I’d find somewhere else. How far are you sticking out of the flares?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I'm only sticking out about and inch maybe and inch and a half. They stick out less than my running boards or mirrors. I did tell him that I had another set of tires which he said that he'd be fine with me doing and bringing them back. The only rub is that they are on my other Jeep. 10 tire swap. I know I saw a copy of the formula posted, not that I think bringing it back and fighting over the numbers would help my case.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

tires throw road debris, that’s why they can’t stick out past fenders. mirrors and running boards do not.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

The requirements are in 540 CMR 6.00. The Calc is WB x Track width / 2200 (safety factor) + 1" man tolerance.

That height increase includes both lift and tires together.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005