Skid plates: Aluminum or Steel? MORE or Rock Hard?

Nonestar
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Skid plates: Aluminum or Steel? MORE or Rock Hard?

Unread post by Nonestar »

I'm about to purchase and install my first skid plate, which will obviously cover the oil pan since Jeep chose not to protect that area.

To that end, I'm trying to get a sense of the difference between aluminum and steel options. I understand that the aluminum option is about 20 lbs lighter, but may be more brittle. Also, in terms of manufacturers I'm looking at Rock Hard (aluminum and steel) and MORE (steel). I'd love to hear from you guys if you have an opinion regarding these options.
Last edited by Nonestar on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Skid plates: Aluminum or Steel? MORE or Rock Hard?

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I went with steel for a simple reason, cost. I went with 1/4" steel for all my skids just because I know they will hold up, and weight savings isn't much of an issue to me. The strength, durability and repair-ability is also worth it. When I went with skids, I got both my transfer case skid and engine skid from the same manufacturer. This way I knew they'd work together perfect.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

^X2 What Dan said.

I went with steel as well. Aluminum is too soft for such an application as skids. I'll pay the price of more weight to know that steel will give me more protection.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

X3 for steel due to it's strength and repairability.
In my opinipn aluminum is fine for a show Jeep but use steel on a Jeep you're going to really wheel.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I put the steel Hard Rock skids on the engine and trans on my JKU. One trip to Rausch and I am glad I didnt go with Aluminum. ;) I didnt notice any drop in MPG when I added these but the suckers are heavy.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Nonestar

Thanks for your helpful responses. Just curious: Does anybody actually have first- or second-hand experience with aluminum? I'm curious whether the aluminum is actually unable to take the hits.

Also, do you have any vendor preferences? I'm considering either MORE or Rock Hard, but I know there are some others out there that may be worth considering.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Nonestar wrote:Thanks for your helpful responses. Just curious: Does anybody actually have first- or second-hand experience with aluminum? I'm curious whether the aluminum is actually unable to take the hits.
In my research prior to buying my skids (TnT), I have read and been told by many that aluminum simply does not hold up as well as steel. Aluminum, although it can take some degree of hits, can't take it as well as steel.
Nonestar wrote:Also, do you have any vendor preferences? I'm considering either MORE or Rock Hard, but I know there are some others out there that may be worth considering.
I bought my TnT skids from Just Jeep Gear (JJG):http://www.justjeepgear.com
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Nonestar wrote:Thanks for your helpful responses. Just curious: Does anybody actually have first- or second-hand experience with aluminum? I'm curious whether the aluminum is actually unable to take the hits.

Also, do you have any vendor preferences? I'm considering either MORE or Rock Hard, but I know there are some others out there that may be worth considering.

talk to Eric at Offroad Elements in MA. One of the Rock Hard skids I ordered from 4wd.com was back ordered just before the last trip to Rausch and they didn't notify me. I saw Offroad Elements had the skids and Eric came in a good deal cheaper than 4wd. He is also a super nice guy and a straight shooter. Highly recommend him and his shop...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

I had the Rock Hard aluminum oil pan/transmission and the transfer skids on my JKU. Both skids were put on in summer 2013. If you are planning on doing light wheeling then the aluminum skids are perfect. Eventually you get tired of light wheeling and want to play in the rocks and on ledges, so eventually the oil pan skid took a few hits right in front of the crossmember. This caused the aluminum skid to bend up and rattle on the exhaust loop (even with the additional spacer Rock Hard provides). Over the past 2 years I have pulled the oil pan skid off multiple times and had to try and bend the skid straight again along the area where it attaches to the crossmember. I was successful most of the time, until early July of this year.

In July I hit a rock in the center of the oil pan skid and bent it. Along with the normal (to me) bend along crossmember. Tried multiple methods to get that center bend out and was unsuccessful. I gave up and decided to upgrade the skid to steel. I figured the 21 pound savings between the two was not worth it anymore. I don't go bashing around in the rocks, so it was disappointing at how easily the aluminum skid would bend. Eventually I will mess with the skid to get the bend out and either use it as a back-up or add it to wife's Jeep when she gets one.

Right now I have a steel gas tank skid, steel oil plan skid and an aluminum transfer skid. The aluminum transfer case skid is solid. Has a few scrapes down it but otherwise no bends. Guess the crossmember takes the brunt of the hits and then the transfer skid just slides across.

Aluminum skids are lightweight and from my own experience they are perfect for certain off road terrain. I know Rock Hard pushes the skids and says they have been used in Moab or up the Rubicon trail; however, I also wonder if the aluminum skids are on a 6" lifted JK riding on 37" tires. My own experience says the aluminum oil pan skid is not favorable for crawling around rocks in New England. If you are planning on just doing light wheeling where you don't have rocks that like to jump out and attack your Jeep than you should be fine. Otherwise saving the couple hundred dollars and put it toward some other modification on the Jeep.
FSHJNKY
Jeep Year: 2010

Unread post by FSHJNKY »

Go with Steel and go with Eric from Offroad Elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

At field and forest couple weekends ago I was on my skids more than wheels. I have 1/4 steel and they still got bent up a little. No way aluminum would of held up.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Nonestar

Based on the overwhelming feedback, I'm leaning toward the Rock Hard steel. Thanks for the input, all!
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

I’ve been running a UCF ¼” aluminum engine skid for years. I typically hit the area in the rear that I reinforced with a 3/16” steel plate, but the aluminum alone does bend over time. I didn’t reinforce the area by the oil drain hole and I can see a few hits are starting to bend the aluminum but it's minor. I’d do it all over again given the way I reinforced it and put it together… it’s strong enough for Rausch and light enough that I can easily hold the engine skid up with one hand.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ucf-a ... s-1111806/
rborelli
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by rborelli »

Both Lisa and I have the Rock Hard steel skids. Real easy to install. we did the oil and transfer skids in a little more than an hour. Real solid.
2014 JKUR - Auto - 4.10 - Teraflex 2 1/2 lift - JCR Vanguard bumpers - Warn M8000s - Rock Hard skids - Ace rock sliders - Spod - KC lights