iPhone GPS App

You can talk about anything here
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

iPhone GPS App

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I am looking for an iPhone GPS app that is capable of importing tracks for use in leading runs, much like what is possible with a Garmin Montana. I have seen some members using there iPhone for such purposes and would love to know the name of the app your using and the maps being used, whether you like it or not and, if not, what you would buy instead.

Any recommendations?
Yipjeep

Re: iPhone GPS App

Unread post by Yipjeep »

A few like to use Gaia with iPhone. I like Locus Map. The free version let's you track a route and you can import GPX tracks and set to navigate route.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Trail Connect. Captured Saturday's class VI run with it.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I started using Back Country Navigator last week. Seems good so far.

Sent from my stupid iThingy using Tapatalk.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
DaveP
BSJ Member

Unread post by DaveP »

I use MotionX-GPS.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Marky wrote:I started using Back Country Navigator last week. Seems good so far.

Sent from my stupid iThingy using Tapatalk.
Hi Mark

Just curious - are you using the free version or the paid one. I downloaded the free version for Android, and found it worthless. I couldn't figure out how to start or stop a track, or import one, or anything. Worse - even though I uninstalled it, it keeps coming back!
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

It's the free version. When you click the "My Location (center)" button (the target) you get options to center or record a track. Once you're recording a track that same button will give you the ability to pause or stop a track. As for importing or exporting tracks, that's found in the folder icon. You can export as .gpx and then transfer that file into a free app such as Google Earth. I was able to add a 2D topographic overlay to Google Earth which helps a lot. The how to on the topography overlay can be found here: http://www.wesleypicotte.com/landscape- ... aphic-maps.
2014-19 Vice President
RalphTomaccio

Hi Mark,

You link is bringing me to this:

Access Denied
Your connection as been blocked.
Contact your hosting provider for further information.
Your IP address: 108.162.219.111
The Server Name: dal04.toastserver.com

Anyone else having this problem?
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

Weird, the link works for me. Try this link: http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis ... /MapServer and click on the "Google Earth" link. The first link I provided was a how-to. This link is the actual page with the map. Or, just click this for the .kmz file that you'll open in Google Earth. http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis ... pImage.kmz
2014-19 Vice President
RalphTomaccio

My daughters upgraded my wife's "flip phone" to a iPhone SE, thus the new interest in GPS apps for me. One of the two main items holding me back from exploring and leading runs. I don't think she is going to be seeing much of her new phone, especially on weekends! :whistle:

Since this phone is on my daughters account, I am concerned about data fees. I want to clarify something when using any of these GPS apps on an iPhone. When actually using them, do you use any data time and, therefore, incur charges while using? Or, is the GPS a stand-alone feature working independently from cell data? My thought is independently with no data charges. Please tell me I'm right!

Mark, thanks for those updated links. They worked fine. Amazing topo detail.
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

RalphTomaccio wrote:My daughters upgraded my wife's "flip phone" to a iPhone SE, thus the new interest in GPS apps for me. One of the two main items holding me back from exploring and leading runs. I don't think she is going to be seeing much of her new phone, especially on weekends! :whistle:

Since this phone is on my daughters account, I am concerned about data fees. I want to clarify something when using any of these GPS apps on an iPhone. When actually using them, do you use any data time and, therefore, incur charges while using? Or, is the GPS a stand-alone feature working independently from cell data? My thought is independently with no data charges. Please tell me I'm right!

Mark, thanks for those updated links. They worked fine. Amazing topo detail.
It can be both. The GPS can use data from towers to help fix its location along with data from satellites. Also, the app itself can use data for important things like advertisements and lesser things such as maps. Sometimes the app will let you download map data prior to leaving on your trip, but more often than not it will download the data as you travel. In any case, some sort of data plan is recommended so you don't get a heart attack the first time you open a bill. That being said, I'm on a 5GB data plan, and I've used the mapping app at least twice in the past month (5-6 hours each time) and my total data usage for the month is a whopping .38GB. I think you'd have to use it a LOT to be a problem! Just be sure to use wifi whenever possible. Set your phone to only update over wifi. It will save you tons of data.
2014-19 Vice President
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I think data gets bumped up when people download/stream movies and stuff like Netflix. I use WAZE all the time when I drive which is a lot 20K miles a year for work and such and have never had an issue with my data plan which is 4GB for 3 phones...

I will put in a down-vote for Motion X GPS. I've had a lot of issues with it stopping the GPS track for long stretches and loosing that part of my track....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
RalphTomaccio

In my search for the best GPS app, I ran across one that no one in any of the forums I monitor mentioned. It's called PathAway and was designed by people who spend a great deal of time outdoors. They have 3 levels of their app at $4.99, $29.99 and $49.99 and it appears to offer everything off-roaders would want, and more. If you have the time, please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

https://www.pathaway.com
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I just saw an ad for "GIA GPS", an iPhone app that allows tracking and routing in addition to downloading certain maps for offline use. I think this is the app YipJeep mentioned. It's 19.99 on the Apple Store and has an extra subscription available for purchase as well. The description also mentioned route planning via their website, www.giagps.com. Might be work a look.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RalphTomaccio

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:I just saw an ad for "GIA GPS", an iPhone app that allows tracking and routing in addition to downloading certain maps for offline use. I think this is the app YipJeep mentioned. It's 19.99 on the Apple Store and has an extra subscription available for purchase as well. The description also mentioned route planning via their website, http://www.giagps.com. Might be work a look.
Thanks, Dan. I think you may be referring to Gaia GPS. From what I have found, it and MotionX are probably the two most popular apps among off-roaders. There are a few others worth looking at as well, but those two stand out.

The link you sent seems to be nothing but links to apps that, for the most part, are for fleets, etc., with their URL almost identical as Gaia's: www.gaiagps.com