$&@?!?"$ Engine

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

$&@?!?"$ Engine

Unread post by Baseshakers »

So I'm towing my new boat up to NH this evening, when the jeep started to get louder. I barely noticed it at first, but it got progressively louder as I drove. I had to floor it a lot on hills, but the rpm never got very high and the temp was always great. The sound got worse and worse, and the oil pressure started to fluctuate and dip down. By the time I got here it was a horrible racket.

So did the oil pump die? I put in a melling high flow about 10 years ago, but haven't touched it since. Any suggestions for diagnosing the problem? The oil looked brown but ok (at least though the dipstick) and the coolant was clean. The tranny was pretty hot, but the jeep makes the same horrible noise with the clutch pushed in sitting stationary.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: $&@?!?"$ Engine

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Does it sound like a screaming monkey? If it is an 05 like your picture says could be the opda. That's the distributor like thing with the cam sensor in it. Drives the oil pump. Know problem with 05 and 06. Start it up, it's on passenger side towards front put hand on it you can feel it if going bad. Usually eats the cam gear if implodes.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Ryan :( would you say it was a tapping/clatter noise or something more pronounced like a clunking solid deep down thing ? I would put a mechanical gauge into the side of the engine where the oil sending unit is. The dash gauge is an electric unit and really only shows oil psi and not the actual psi. If you dont have good steady psi and you drove it that way , its probably a bad day. Let us know what you find or need. I got you bud. FjR68
Baseshakers

Hey MDS, good thought but I've already had the OPDA issue and this sounds different.

Franky, it started as a clatter and got progressively louder. Now it sounds like something is banging around in there. Weird thing is I had no noticeable loss of power. PSI slowly got lower, but only fluctuated near the end when the rpms dropped towards idle. Wish I could hook up a gauge but I'm in NH and a long way from most of my tools.
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by beaker »

Clattering makes me think top end valve train.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Loss of oil pressure and the progression to banging sounds like a bearing gave up. There wont be much or any loss of power untill it breaks. Untill a known gauge can be installed to verify oil pressure , we wont know how bad it is , only that damage is being done if the pump or drive to the oil pump is bad , a bearing or anything else. Sorry Dude , It sounds bad. FjR68
Baseshakers

Crap... Ok. So if a bearing is bad, should I just find a 4.0 to swap?
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by beaker »

Stroker... :)
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by nhdcoye »

I may be able to bring you tools/gauge if your still in nh :-) What part of nh ?
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
FSHJNKY
Jeep Year: 2010
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by FSHJNKY »

I am not mechanically skilled but I am in NH, have some tools and at least a way to give you a ride to parts stores if needed. I am in Manchester and am willing to help if needed. Just let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baseshakers

I appreciate the offers of help! I'm up in New London about 3 minutes off of 89. My hope is to tow it home to Salem, MA on Thursday... Plus tow my boat home.
FSHJNKY
Jeep Year: 2010
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by FSHJNKY »

Well if you need help let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: $&@?!?

Unread post by nhdcoye »

FSHJNKY wrote:Well if you need help let me know.
I also am located just under an Hr away in Litchfield NH....
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Ryan :( If its a pump issue and a bearing is going , it will damage the crankshaft journal where the bearing rides. Sometimes they can grind them and you would use a different bearing thickness to make it up. The engine can be rebuilt or replaced. The vid you posted lumping backward in the driveway shows engine wear with a loss of compression so at least the rings are shot. If you were doing this on Fri. I would haul it back with my trailer . I work Tues,Wed,Thur. I wouldnt recommend a stroker for a daily . I know a couple that have died in a very short time with bottom end issues. I would venture to say that you could bore it and select a Clifford Performance cam set and youd feel the HP increase. I could guess a machine shop fix would be a grand and a used engine could be a little as 200 buks. If you were to have the block and crank resurfaced and bought the parts to assemble the engine would cut the price near in half . You decide , we could assemble the block in hours ! FjR68
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I got a nice 5.7 hemi coming out of a 2010 overland next week, could shoehorn it in I'm sure!
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi