Nader & Windy

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Nader
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Nader & Windy

Unread post by Nader »

Hello everyone,

My name is Nader. Me and my wife Windy are both very new to off-roading :doh: We just got our first jeep and I daily it to work which leaves very little room for mods (i guess). I tired to get all the essentials sorted last week (HH CB, some tools, First Aid Kit, Air Compressor and a Fire Extinguisher) in preparation to joining this club and we now look forward to meeting you guys on the trail and having fun :dance:

We welcome any advice or suggestions that can get us started. I can see the upcoming trips on the calendar but I wasn't sure if they would be good fit for our skills and experience (or lack thereof)

Thank you all and have a great day!

P.S : I tried to attache images but I got something that said "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." don't know what that is but it might be temporary.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Nader & Windy

Unread post by Kurt »

Nader & Windy Welcome to Baystate!

The run coming up next weekend would not be a good fit for your stock JK. The trial is muddy, rocky and requires bigger tires and a locker to get thru it.
The one later in July on the easier trail might be a good fit though.

As for posting pictures it's best if you can first host them on a site like Photobucket and then link them to your posts.

Annually in the spring we hold a Jeep 101. Great event to lean a ton of the wheeling basics and a chance to hone your off road skills.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Spudcannons
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Spudcannons »

Welcome! Just because it's your daily driver doesn't limit the mods! There are quite a few people running coilovers, 40" tires, beadlocks, stingers, LS and hemi engine swaps ect, that daily drive their rigs. My daily driver is modded a tiny bit and is on 35s with beadlocks, custom axles, 4" long arm lift ect. It actually drives better than stock.
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
Spudcannons

Kurt wrote:Nader & Windy Welcome to Baystate!

The run coming up this weekend would not be a good fit for your stock JK. The trial is muddy, rocky and requires bigger tires and a locker to get thru it.
The one later in July on the easier trail might be a good fit though.

As for posting pictures it's best if you can first host them on a site like Photobucket and then link them to your posts.

Annually in the spring we hold a Jeep 101. Great event to lean a ton of the wheeling basics and a chance to hone your off road skills.

Sorry to be off topic but which run? I did not see one on the schedule.
Nader

Unread post by Nader »

Thank you for welcoming us ...
Spudcannons wrote:Welcome! Just because it's your daily driver doesn't limit the mods! There are quite a few people running coilovers, 40" tires, beadlocks, stingers, LS and hemi engine swaps ect, that daily drive their rigs. My daily driver is modded a tiny bit and is on 35s with beadlocks, custom axles, 4" long arm lift ect. It actually drives better than stock.
I'd thought of coilover upgrades but now I'm more determined. Any budget friendly suggestions ?
Last edited by Nader on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spudcannons

I want coilovers but can not justify spending $3500(without labor) on something with marginal benefits for wheeling around new england. You basically gain an inch of travel and the biggest benifit is driving fast over dessert like conditions. You get more adjust-ability but it's a PITA to deal with them. They will be ruined by the winters around here and cost a ton to replace or fix. The only reason/time will do coilovers is to move the shock mounts to the top of the axle with the EVO lever system and bring the control arm mounts ar high as i can as well.

You would be better off with axle upgrades, lockers, the right gears and a good lift.

I would recommend the EVO enforcer lfit if you are in the 1k-2k range(you can get KING or Bilstein shocks which change the price), the long arm EVO lift if you are willing to shell out 3.5k plus almost 2k in labor, it depends on your budget, tire size you want to run ect.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Spudcannons wrote:Sorry to be off topic but which run? I did not see one on the schedule.
My error... :doh: I meant "next" weekend. Original post corrected.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Nader

Unread post by Nader »

Kurt wrote:
Spudcannons wrote:Sorry to be off topic but which run? I did not see one on the schedule.
My error... :doh: I meant "next" weekend. Original post corrected.

Thank you Kurt for clarifying and sending the evite but based on your description we may need to take a rain check on that
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome, Nader and Windy! Now that you're members of BSJ, your lives just got more exciting.
Kurt wrote:The one later in July on the easier trail might be a good fit though.
Kurt, are you referring to Old Florida RD/Torrey Tunnel RD? According to the info in the Event Schedule, they're rated from 4-7. Would those be suitable for Nader and Windy as well as myself? Hope so!
Spudcannons

RalphTomaccio wrote:Welcome, Nader and Windy! Now that you're members of BSJ, your lives just got more exciting.
Kurt wrote:The one later in July on the easier trail might be a good fit though.
Kurt, are you referring to Old Florida RD/Torrey Tunnel RD? According to the info in the Event Schedule, they're rated from 4-7. Would those be suitable for Nader and Windy as well as myself? Hope so!

I believe he means Moose Mountain.
Spudcannons

Although it does say there is a class VI road there

"Moose Mountain

Trails range from easy to extreme on about 100 acres of muddy rocky wooded land. This property is recommended for vehicles with 33? and up with a traction device or winch. There are class VI roads for stock vehicles in the area. The property is very wet all year long, so expect mud."
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Spudcannons wrote:Although it does say there is a class VI road there

"Moose Mountain

Trails range from easy to extreme on about 100 acres of muddy rocky wooded land. This property is recommended for vehicles with 33? and up with a traction device or winch. There are class VI roads for stock vehicles in the area. The property is very wet all year long, so expect mud."
I understood it that Kurt meant Moose Mountain was NOT suitable, but the run later in the month would be.

"The run coming up next weekend (that would be Moose Mountain on 7/18) would not be a good fit for your stock JK. The trail is muddy, rocky and requires bigger tires and a locker to get thru it. The one later in July (OFR/TT on 7/24-26) on the easier trail might be a good fit though." It's OFR & TT that I was asking about being suitable for Nader, Windy and myself.
Spudcannons

I missed the first bit. But it does say there is a stock friendly alternative at Moose Mountain. The next one on the 25th/26th is OFR.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Spudcannons wrote:I missed the first bit. But it does say there is a stock friendly alternative at Moose Mountain. The next one on the 25th/26th is OFR.
The stock friendly class 6 road at moose mountain is short and not challenging for a stock rig. The next trail we tried we were winching downhill before turning around and winching, snatch blocking and hilifting our way out. Less then a 1/4 mile in three hours.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Spudcannons

The stock friendly class 6 road at moose mountain is short and not challenging for a stock rig. The next trail we tried we were winching downhill before turning around and winching, snatch blocking and hilifting our way out. Less then a 1/4 mile in three hours.[/quote]

That sounds pretty awful.