Hiya - New Member

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
PRFlak
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Hiya - New Member

Unread post by PRFlak »

Hiya, my name is Matt and I'm driving a 2013 JKU Sahara in Commando Green and I'm a new official member as of today. Happy to be here and looking forward to getting out on some trails in New England.

My JKU is my third Jeep, following a 1968 CJ5 that I rebuilt from the frame up in 1993, and a 1995 TJ Sport that I drove until it's engine was wheezing in Los Angeles. Here is the JKU in it's current natural environment, roaming the streets of Central MA:

Right now it sits completely stock - the only modification is that I carelessly lost the door hinge bolts when I took the doors off a few weeks ago and left the bolts sitting on the running boards. Really a time saver.

I swore with this Jeep I'd drive it for some time before upgrading -- it's been 2+ years and I'm getting ready. I'll never go 'hardcore' with it as it's my daily driver, but I'm looking for a small-to-moderate lift so I can pop some 33s or 34s on there... and then accessories. Should be starting all of that this summer.

I've only done light off-roading in the past -- some easy-to-moderate trails in Moab, some power lines, logging roads, etc so I'm excited to do more and bring my son along for the ride.

For a little history, here's the '95 TJ, sitting pretty on a trail in Moab, circa 2002:

And here's the '68 CJ5, sitting in Cape traffic on Route 3, circa 1993, embarking on a test-run of the new lift kit in some sand pits... without registration or insurance or functioning lights of course:
(this vehicle would later die a twisted death, rolling down a mountainside in Vermont after catching a log. all parties were uninjured, however, except for the CJ :whistle: )

Thanks for having me and can't wait to get on the trails and do some modifications... with all of your help.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: Hiya - New Member

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome!

You'll like it here. A great bunch of people, always willing to help.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Welcome!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Spudcannons

Unread post by Spudcannons »

Welcome! I have a 2013 commando JKU. I took a slightly different approach on my build :lol:
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Hi Matt, and welcome

I drive an '09 JK (2-door) with a 2.5" lift and '35s, and it does just fine. I would think you'd get by just fine with something like my setup, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice around here. See you on the trails...

Don
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hey Matt : I could have fixed the CJ ! Its what I do. Over and Over and Over. Welcome to the club , hope to catch up with you on a trail. FjR68
PRFlak

Unread post by PRFlak »

Thanks for all the welcomes - looking forward to a run that will be good for stock in the near future.

For the JK I think I'm looking at going to a 2.5 inch lift with a max of 35s. Good compromise for a DD -- evcen though I don't put a lot of miles on since I work from home. That'll be my first undertaking I'm guessing. I'm talking with some folks about a special media project for this that I may need help with, so I'm glad to know there's a lot of knowledge and ability around here.
Frank wrote:Hey Matt : I could have fixed the CJ ! Its what I do. Over and Over and Over. Welcome to the club , hope to catch up with you on a trail. FjR68
Maybe, but the frame was pretty twisted. It did, however, drive off the mountain under its own power.