ABS light after axle swap

Spudcannons
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

ABS light after axle swap

Unread post by Spudcannons »

I finished my axle swap and now the arb light will come on and go off every few minuets. The alignment is not so great right now but would this shut down the system?
JKU Commando- I've tinkered with her a tiny bit.
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: ABS light after axle swap

Unread post by beaker »

Don't know a whole lot about the JKs, but are the sensors connected at all 4 corners?
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I assume you mean "ABS" light. A not so great alignment shouldn't cause it to go on.
Do you new axles have ABS sensors and are they connected and compatible with your JK's ABS system?
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Spudcannons

Kurt wrote:I assume you mean "ABS" light. A not so great alignment shouldn't cause it to go on.
Do you new axles have ABS sensors and are they connected and compatible with your JK's ABS system?

Yes they are connected and they are the stock sensors in the stock hubs up front but dynatrac's sensor mounts in back.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I'd call Dynatrac and see if they can suggest anything to check.

JW
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Could it have anything to do with the wheel speed sensors and the new gearing? Do you have a device to correct the speedo yet?

My thoughts are this: if the jeep thinks your going one speed with all factory gearing, and you throw a new ratio in there, there is now a differential between the wheel speed sensors and the transmission output. Maybe that has something to do with it?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Spudcannons

[quote="BlackNBlue-ISH"]Could it have anything to do with the wheel speed sensors and the new gearing? Do you have a device to correct the speedo yet?

My thoughts are this: if the jeep thinks your going one speed with all factory gearing, and you throw a new ratio in there, there is now a differential between the wheel speed sensors and the transmission output. Maybe that has something to do with it?[/quote

I did that. It goes into limp mode with the wrong gear ratio.
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Could it have anything to do with the wheel speed sensors and the new gearing? Do you have a device to correct the speedo yet?

My thoughts are this: if the jeep thinks your going one speed with all factory gearing, and you throw a new ratio in there, there is now a differential between the wheel speed sensors and the transmission output. Maybe that has something to do with it?
There's no speedo sender on the t-case on the JKs. Its now done at the wheel sensors for the ABS. My guess is one of the sensors has issues. Spacing between the ring and the sensor can be an issue, not sure what else aside from a wiring issue. Googling does show alignment can cause an issue, but it seems that usually causes additonal lights (traction control).

Start with the two sensors in the back. Make sure neither sensor bracket is bent out of the way. See if the sensors are the same distance away from the rings as the fronts.

The other option is to get a better scantool on it to read the ABS codes that will tell you what it is.

-mike
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I suspect a sensor was damaged at install or incompatible. If you go to a big box parts shop they should have a code reader that can narrow it down. If I recall correctly these tone sensors can detect if something is moving out of synch with the other sensors and thats when they throw a code. I presume this is occurring in 2L at "street speeds?"
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

If your alignment is out of whack, all your sensors are out of whack. Fix your known issues first and thn come back to this after if it is still there.

JKs do not like bad alignments or uncorrected speedometers. Both of those things can put it in limp mode, activate nannies and all that happy horse schat.