Bought my 1st Jeep - Boston

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
yetty749
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2204
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Bought my 1st Jeep - Boston

Unread post by yetty749 »

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time coming but I just bought my first Jeep a few weeks ago and it has instantly became my full-time hobby. Took quite a bit of patience but I finally landed a pretty sweet deal on my first car of choice.

Mods I've made - I hit the target that I wanted and got the Jeep with an aftermarket suspension (Rough Country I believe) and a 4 inch lift as well as some pretty meaty off-road 33's. As for things I've actually done since I've purchased it - I did an all out coolant change/flush. Although it may not seem like the most compIex thing to do, I like to do things right and did quite a bit of research on the best ways to do it and there are many different methods and I took the best from each and put them all together. Stuff in there was filthy, took some time to get it all flushed out and running clear before I replaced it with new coolant. I took all the hoses out and scrubbed and massaged all the crud outta there before I put it all back. And I replaced the water pump inlet hose as well as the valve cover gasket while I was under there. Also, check engine light was on which is a Throttle position sensor. That part is in the mail and will be replacing that when it comes, easy fix though. In between all that, I've been hand detailing the engine as well as the going through frame and various other things like bumper/trailer hitch etc and getting all the rust out bit by bit (I'm off work at the moment.) So within the past 3 weeks or when anyone is looking for me they are usually told "he's probably out front working on his damn Jeep."

Future Mods - Sway bars I think are a little clunky, so probably be replacing them next. And some small stuff like speakers and some lights and then when I recover from my purchase the next things I'll do is probably get a winch and put a better brake system in it. I think the bigger tires affect it's stopping power, but that could just be me since I'm new to how Jeeps drive but I'd like the braking to be better. Also need to replace a pinion seal. I might bring it in for that one though, it may be too in depth but I'm still researching that one.

How long I've been a member - I just joined the forum today so I'm not really even a member yet.

Off-roading experience - With how torn up the streets in the city are right now it feels as though I am off-roading. But I have never been off-roading other than on some dirt-bikes/quads at my uncles place up in Maine. Which is one of the main reasons I joined this forum here. I'd really like to find/explore some trails around here. I heard Mass kind of sucks for this which doesn't surprise me but I'm sure there are some hidden gems around here. I'd like to hit some asap though.

First Jeep - Yup. And again, I went from 0 to Jeep enthusiast in about 7 seconds flat. I love it.

Thats about it for now and thanks for having me.

~ Keep on Jeepin on ~

-Steve

P.S. I feel like thats one of those sayings that originated in my own head but has probably already been said a million times. If not, I call dibs on the copyright/bumper sticker royalties.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Re: Bought my 1st Jeep - Boston

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Steve - welcome aboard! I like your approach
yetty749 wrote:..... Although it may not seem like the most compIex thing to do, I like to do things right and did quite a bit of research on the best ways to do it and there are many different methods and I took the best from each and put them all together.....
That's how I work too 8-) I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel and with so much experience to tap into and people willing to help? I have zero problem saying 'I don't know' or 'what's the best way to do this'

yetty749 wrote: ~ Keep on Jeepin on ~

P.S. I feel like thats one of those sayings that originated in my own head but has probably already been said a million times. If not, I call dibs on the copyright/bumper sticker royalties.
yeah good luck with that. I came up with 'Stay Dirty My Friends' and then saw it on stickers being sold at the Great American Jeep Rally :sad: Hope to see you on the trails and if you decide to join BSJ? You're really, really gonna like it here. I'm in Medford and if you ever need a spare set of hands, give me a shout. If I'm not busy I'll give you a hand wrenchin
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
95xj
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 95xj »

Hello Steve, welcome; Join the club, you will love it! Just don't follow me.
DM
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Not a member yet? What are you waiting for? You won't find a better group anywhere.

Welcome!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Nicely said Dennis :) Welcome Steve. Hope you become a member soon. Our season has just started and its gonna be great ----- Again ! What ever you do when wheelin an unknown area may effect what happens to the area. So many places are being closed down and its not that you went there to destroy it , its just that its private property . Joining a club is the best thing you can do for any area and yourself as you will never be trespassing. I believe there are only two places legal to wheel (open to the public) in Ma. . Thats two more than here in Ct. Hope you join and well see you on a trail soon . FjR68
yetty749
Jeep Year: 2204

Unread post by yetty749 »

yetty749 wrote: ~ Keep on Jeepin on ~

yeah good luck with that. I came up with 'Stay Dirty My Friends' and then saw it on stickers being sold at the Great American Jeep Rally :sad: Hope to see you on the trails and if you decide to join BSJ? You're really, really gonna like it here. I'm in Medford and if you ever need a spare set of hands, give me a shout. If I'm not busy I'll give you a hand wrenchin[/quote]

Awesome thanks for that. Sometimes an extra hand/mind is definitely useful. I'd be happy to offer a hand as well, Im located right in Southie and I'm always down to do work when I have free time.