It's never too early to panic... TJ frame 911

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

It's never too early to panic... TJ frame 911

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Hi all
Just talked with Lou and my frame is junk. Rotted from the t-case to the rear control arms. Basically 3-4k to fix it. Not in the cards to put that sort of $$$ into a frame that's been patched a bunch already..

I have a long arm kit so a frame swap is not a turn key 1 day project.... Looking for advice on how to move forward. Part it out and get a new rig, get a frame sand blast it and get new brackets burned in.. Swap the drivetrain into the Jeepsters.... Just a bit lost as how to move forward and get on the trail again.... Turn it into a tube buggy? Get a new rig and swap in the axles? Help!!! :confusion-helpsos:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: It's never too early to panic... TJ frame 911

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Condolences, Jeff.. Really.. That is a sucky situation.

I have this odd attachment to my jeep and couldnt replace it. That said, Id probably get a new frame. But, how attached are you??
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Bummer... I was worried when Amanda spotted the light shining thru you frame by the passengers rear tire when it was up on the lift.

I think Lou can get new frames for about $2,400. Not cheap but you'd be starting with a brand new frame for your rig.
Might be the way to go if everything else with your Jeep is good. A bit of work to do the swap over and burn the new brackets but you'd have a very solid foundation once again.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

: Sorry for bad news Jeff. I would take all your good parts and put on another TJ. I am going to
need some frame repair near the rear springs before wheeling season begins. Love our TJ'S but frames are not their strong point! :pray: Good luck with your decision and luckily you found out now and not in June.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

I'd get a second opinion. And maybe a third. Not saying find someone that will lie and say your frame isn't that bad but lets say you had an estimate closer to $2500 - $3k, would that make a difference? I've been researching a couple options, researching outfits that specialize in frame repairs. I'm probably taking a ride to RI on Friday and maybe West Brookfield after that. A decision this big might call for more than one opinion, one estimate
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man

Kurt wrote:Bummer... I was worried when Amanda spotted the light shining thru you frame by the passengers rear tire when it was up on the lift.

I think Lou can get new frames for about $2,400. Not cheap but you'd be starting with a brand new frame for your rig.
Might be the way to go if everything else with your Jeep is good. A bit of work to do the swap over and burn the new brackets but you'd have a very solid foundation once again.
throttle down customs is what Lou has used and its about 3500 plus 500 to ship from Montana. I am pretty attached to the Jeep, ton of good memories in it... I love all of my Jeeps and have dropped a ton of $$ into this one in particular... really torn up over this. Hate to part it out and really cant see me going that route, but that kind of dough means no tow rig and its unlikely i make it to Rausch which is like crack to me... :sad:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

No parting... just.. no.

What about getting a used in good condition frame?
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

What Amanda said. Check with Collins Bros for a used frame. They are in TX.

http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

I was legit checking out that site earlier, Dave!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

I've ordered some parts from them for the soft top. The parts I got were in near new shape at a fraction of the cost of new.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Where is the guy who yelled at me for tryin to sell Mona ? Where is that conviction ? First ---- With 4 really motivated well versed guys , a one day swap isnt likely to happen . Two , you asked for opinions , Get another frame ! Your choice , new (bigger Buks) Used , ? Not from N.E. is not worth it. Find one in Texas like everyone else and go get it or have it shipped. Look at Kermits frame , Its not that messed up that a frame shop couldnt fix it close enough to beat the peanny out of it in the woods. There are many options Dude. You aint gettin away that easy . Give me a call , I got ideas. FjR68
Hoodoo Man

Im in Chicago at the moment and dont have a lot of time to get on the forum. Lou had me fairly dejected when we discussed it and his doom and gloom got me a little down. I have a few leads on a new frame and really want to retain my TJ. It has a lot of small issues but they can be addressed in a frame swap. And Frank i wasnt getting out of the game, if I bought a JK it would be to wheel the piss outa it.... :D

I really want to make it to Rausch in May and that is my main goal to be running by. I am strongly considering new axles;a 9" in the rear and perhaps a D60 up front. spool in the rear?? maybe keep the 44 up front but go with a LCG lift this time around. Get rid of the quirks that make it less fun to drive and more likely to break.... lets think on it... :cool:
1970 Jeepster- stock
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

My opinion on the axle thing --- aint worth much but its mine ! If your going or even thinking about a 60 Frt, then you have to go 60 or 14 bolt rear . Stay away from a 9" unless you spend the buks and get a "True 9" high pinion center section . We can have you up and runnin for Rausch , Illgarrendamteeit ! We know the JK 44 is weak so your choice of a 60 is good , Finding one with a close enough WMS is the issue. If it has to be cut to fit then axle shafts are not easy to find in a parts store. A Ford 44 in front HP is a strong axle having only to change bolt pattern. Many options Dude. Make a game plan and we can help ! FjR68
Hoodoo Man

so I do have a D44 f/r on the TJ from a Rubicon now. Just thinking that this may be the time to upgrade. not required but may make sense. may make more sense to stick with what I have but would like a LCG ride.....
1970 Jeepster- stock
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

You have the best axles ever put in a Wrangler ! Stay with them and look at the high line fender option for the front and we can relocate your rear flat fenders higher, cut some unwanted sheet metal and drop it a couple inches ! Done deal , I like the way you come up with this stuff on a blink ! FjR68