some welding help needed 1/10/15 (also a few wrenchfests

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

some welding help needed 1/10/15 (also a few wrenchfests

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

UPDATED Lets plan for 1/10 to do this, looks like Ralph and Carl also have some projects that we can all help out with. The property is just off Rt 40 in Westford near the Groton line, I will post the shops address when we get a little closer to the date. Anyone else with a project they are stalled on let us know and we can try and get to some more things if we have time. Lets plan to start at 9am. :music-rockout: :bluesbros:

I have some rot spots on my frame that need patching and would eventually like to add some DOM behind my front seats for 5 point harnesses. Anyone able to do a little frame repair for me? happy to host a tech day at my neighbors shop for folks to watch/help..... More than willing to provide food and beer etc. :)

I'm also looking to add a currie antirock or similar setup to the front to make my TJ a little more street friendly. When I went cross over high steer the drivers side lower sway bar mount got lopped off and tossed. Anyone have a donor axle with a mount they don't need so I can figure out a way to have a new mount burned in? :doh:

ADDRESS 28.5 Groton Rd Westford MA 01886 Cell is 978-7273494 9am at that address
Note : Groton Rd in Westford MA The access road for the shop is a long dirt driveway up a slight incline between 28 and 30 Groton Rd, its a large blue industrial building with heavy equipment outside, as you go down Groton Rd headed toward Groton on the right hand side you will see a small pond and a circular driveway followed by 4 mailboxes together, the access road is immediately after the 4 mail boxes. they are listed as 6 Millstone hill rd but its a sharp turn and easy to miss it. I will post my cell number when we get closer to Saturday
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: some welding help needed

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Mr Blaine makes a set of brackets for a sway bar for a driver side tie rod flip. They weld to the Cs. Work great for me! Not sure if it will fit with your steering however... Pics?
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I'd be happy to come over and give you a hand.
Just post up what weekend you are targeting. I'm free most weekends during the winter.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

x2 on using MrBlaine's swaybar link kit. It's beefy, comes with a gusset and is a good fit.

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Ra ... ussets.htm
Hoodoo Man

this is my current setup for the tie rod.... hopefully mr Blains kit will work for me. :)

1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Awesome! Ordering them now. Seem to ship USPS so hopefully they make it here before too long.

Kurt Im pretty open as well after xmas. Would Saturday the 3rd work or would the 10th be better? If anyone wants to come and watch learn / help its a two bay garage and we may be able to do some wrenching in the next bay if someone has another project they need a hand with... located in Westford MA....

also what kind of stock should I get for the frame patch? I can post a pic of the area later today.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Hoodoo Man

now thats weird, my post just went into Ryans post.... :/
1970 Jeepster- stock
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

The 3rd or the 10th is fine with me.
A day when you can get a few others that may want to participate would be fun. :)
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I would like to be part of that. Will have to wait till we get closer to the date though to let you know for sure.
Hoodoo Man

so this is the area of concern for me. its right in the fornt drivers side and about 4" or so section mostly on the bottom. I received the parts from Mr Blaine before Xmas and I am open on either date. leaning toward the 10th for the wrench fest and Ralph you are more than welcome to join us along with anyone else. :)

Kurt what kind of stock will I need for this?

thanks!
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

I've got a piece of 5/32 plate about 10" x 20" you can use.
Are all the pics of the same spot on the frame? Just inside and outside shots?
Looks like a chunk of the frame is peeled up in the inside shots. Is this correct? Any idea from what?
How is the frame on the opposite side?
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I'm good either day right now.

If time permits, I do have a little project I wouldn't mind some help with. I bought a JKS steering stabilizer mount relocator and new Teraflex stabilizer. They say the front end needs to be put on jack stands. And, although the wheel side mount can be bolted on, they recommend welding to strengthen the factory track bar bracket.

Hoodoo Man

Kurt it's the same area, just from the side and 2 shots from the ground looking up. The rest of the frame seems fine. The Same part of the frame on the passenger side is ok. I had some other spots welded a year or 2 ago. I suspect the new Spot is from junk in the frame from going thru a mud trench.
1970 Jeepster- stock
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Kurt wrote:The 3rd or the 10th is fine with me.
A day when you can get a few others that may want to participate would be fun. :)
I'd like to join the fun. I have a steel plate I can bring, cut what you need. Used a chunk for my frame repair. I'm also up for some minor wrenching, like bolting my skid plate back on (after I cut a few new holes in it) and maybe other little chit. This shop, what does it have for welders and does he have a plasma cutter? I could bring my plasma cutter, haven't had a chance to give it a work out 8-)

This sounds like an awesome winter break AND get a good opportunity to get some stuff done on rigs :dance: Oh yeah, I'm free either the 3rd or the 10th and feel free to text me with an update if you don't hear from me, I'll PM you my cell. Pretty sure you have it but maybe not
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man

Lets shoot for the 10th. Im pretty sure they have a plasma cutter and for sure they have a welder, but if you want to bring your new toy Im sure nobody will mind Carl! :) They have a nice lift on one side and a flat bay next to it so we can easily have a few projects going at the same time.

I'll ask my neighbor to leave the bays open, we may need to move a plow truck in and out but thats no big deal...
1970 Jeepster- stock