Here it goes - TIRES, which ones?

84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Here it goes - TIRES, which ones?

Unread post by 84cj »

I've only wheeled on MTR's (2yrs) and Claw's (10yrs).

Come spring, I'm going to buy some new shoes and wanted to find out from the folks here what you'd recommend. Most of you know that I drive it to the trail head (including Moab, and back!).

So what are your recommendations? I also tend to do the harder trails, that require lockers and 35's.

Thanks,

Curtis
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: Here it goes - TIRES, which ones?

Unread post by Frank »

I have D.C. Crusher 35x12.5x15 . I had 32x10.5x15 TSL radials . The swampers were awesome but on the road you had to yell to your passenger and forget the radio. The Crusher on the other hand have no wheel weights at all and run the road very quiet and roll with no vibrations. Off road I always said , If I had my Swampers I would have made that ! Id run the TSLs at 10 psi and they had great squat ! The Crushers wouldnt budge with 10 PSI. After I made the bead locks and went to 3 PSI , I was able to get them to squat. Now I can run 6/7 PSI they have great squat and grip almost as good as the swampers but without all the fuss and noise. Im on them (DC) 6 yrs. this spring and they look great ,no where near half way done . Im starting to appreciate how good a tire it is. Im not sure I would go back to TSLs unless it was for stickys , some thing that would shred if you road them on the street. Our Jeeps are pretty light and it took awhile to break the side wall in , but I guess thats why they have no cuts or plugs. My opinion is like the President --- May change at any second ! Have fun Curtis . FjR68
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have been very happy with my Goodyear MTR/K 35s. Have held up nicely for about 3 seasons now, decent treadware, not too much chopping or chunking despite mostly playing in the rocks. the only time I had issues was when I went below 10psi without beadlocks and that was at Rausch, I blew a bead sliced a tire and flopped on separate occasions on the same day. highway nouise is loud but acceptable. Ive had a few sets of TSLs one in 33 and another in 35s and they have done good too but I prefer the MTRs.... at or around 10psi I have been very happy with the grip of the MTR...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Goodyear MTR/Ks or Toyo Open Country MTs have been the two best tires I've had on mine. If they hadn't been on national backorder when I went to the 35s I'd be back on the Toyos.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

I've had 34 x 11.5 Super Swamper SSR tires for the last couple of years. I remember they took a lot of weight to balance, but Elia's balanced them right and they're fine at highway speed. They hum a little and wander on the highway when there are ruts in the road, but it's not bad. I've driven to Rausch and back twice and I would buy them again. Offroad they are great and handle mud, rocks, water crossings or whatever else, although I haven't tried sand. Also haven't had any sidewall issues to date.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I second Ralph on the Toyos. I ran Toyo Open Country ATs on the trip out to Moab, they worked very well. I'm currently running a new set of Toyo Open Country AT2. They are almost a mud tire, with big, open lugs. When Chris up at Elias put them on, he told me that the most weight he used on any one tire was 2 oz. Pretty good for a 35" tire. I think you'd probably be happier with the MTs though. They are really aggressive and grip very well.

I'm curious why you wouldn't go with a new set of what's on there now, though. You've had good luck with those, you've been running them since I've known you. Just a thought. If you don't replace with what you have, I'd go with the Toyos.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

Toyo MTs are great! Nice tough sidewall, and good grip in anything but thick mud.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Toyo Open Country M/T.
I get to play with a lot of tires and I've run several on my own.

Hands down, Toyo MT - a clear winner. 978 597 8432 if you have any questions on sizes, availability or whatever.
I have tons of videos and pictures of mine defying gravity and physics in all sorts of weather.