Made the switch

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
barmmer
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Made the switch

Unread post by barmmer »

I've had two grand Cherokee ( ZJ and WJ ) but just made the switch to a JKU. So far it's pretty stock, looking to put the AEV 2" kit on soon. Definitely like the expedition build over the rock crawler, so that the direction I'm headed
Attachments
image.jpg
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Made the switch

Unread post by Carl McFly »

welcome!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Made the switch

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Welcome!

I'd caution against the AEV system; it uses drop brackets which reduce ground clearance and still uses factory control arm bushings. The factory bushings are pretty weak when it comes to handling the levels if misalignment you will see off roading, you'll end up trashing them pretty quickly. AEV likes to push their system as the perfect "expedition" or "overland" system, it's pretty far from the truth. Highly overpriced for a set of brackets, "special" tuned shocks, and springs.

If I were to recommend any "kit" for a JK, it would most certainly be the Currie 4" lift.

The best way to lift a JK using factory mounts would be to use Rokmen adjustable control arms. They use Currie's Johnny Joints and are adjustable in length to cover between 0" - 7" of lift. Pick up a set of adjustable track bars. From there select a spring, Rock Krawler makes a great 2.5" spring. Then select a shock? 12" travel Bilstein 5100's are a great entery level shock. Then just setup bump stops!