MA Fender coverage

01shucker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: MA Fender coverage

Unread post by 01shucker »

I’m taking my Metalcloak standard size overland fenders off soon. If your interested they will sell cheap. They are red for now.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

01shucker wrote:I’m taking my Metalcloak standard size overland fenders off soon. If your interested they will sell cheap. They are red for now.
I’ve got some wide ones you can borrow if you just need some for inspection.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
mikepa
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by mikepa »

An older post but have to share,

Had my JLUR for two years now with over a year on 37's and 2.5" lift. No problem with MA inspection last year at local, reputable gas/mechanic station. Brought it to local Jeep dealership to have some WARRANTY work done. The same place I purchased it. Not only could they not fix two of my warranty items for second time (slow oil leak on top of engine and failing auto start/stop aux battery), they told me my setup "would not pass inspection here due to tires sticking outside of fenders and lift to high". Of all places I thought would get it....Good Grief.

BTW, they claimed the aux battery is not working because of aftermarket current drain - the only two electrical adds I have are winch and CB radio, both of which are not powered until you flip their respective switches. How is this? FWIW, this is a known issue with early JLs like mine. Bad aux batteries but not TSB from FCA yet.

And that the oil must just be dirt from driving around. Good grief!

And my friends wonder why I try to do all my own work and not bring it to dealers. Even warranty work is painful to get fixed.

mikep
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

3, 2, 1
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

The dealer is the last place that would give a sticker with 37’s
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Yeah. Trouble shooting incompetence aside, I guess I was hoping they were more interested in being mod-friendly and selling Jeeps than mini vans. Yet another newb lesson learned.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

BTW, for those that have Tires outside the wheel well of their Jeeps. Here is the law as written in MGL 90-7:

"Every motor vehicle or trailer, excepting passenger motor vehicles, operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with suitable guards which will effectively reduce the spray or splash to the rear of mud, water or slush caused by the rear wheels thereof. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides."

That is the law as written, However Inspection rules and regulations are, as I've been told, entirely different and do not allow tires to extend outside the fender flares...

And here is the PDF Link to the Lift laws of MA, which again are different than what is in the Inspection Rules and Regulations...

As stated, Lift (combined both Tire and mechanical lift) on 4WD vehicles are limited to the following calculation: (Wheel Base x Wheel Track)/2200 = Maximum height above OEM door jam height. Specifically, note that body lift is not included in the calculation, and thus if we need more height to clear tires we could put some body lift in.

Source for a bunch of the laws across the states... https://www.liftlaws.com
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

mikepa wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:12 am Yeah. Trouble shooting incompetence aside, I guess I was hoping they were more interested in being mod-friendly and selling Jeeps than mini vans. Yet another newb lesson learned.
If they give you grief, go to a different dealer. The only warranty work I had done was a bad coil replacement, but Acton Jeep didn't say a word about any of the mods I had at that time. (there weren't as many as now, but suspension, wheels/tires, electrical, and body had all been touched) They did the work, didn't try to charge, and complimented the Jeep when they gave it back.

YMMV, but you're definitely not tied to the dealer where you bought the Jeep. If you don't like the service, don't give them the business.
-- Hank
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Hank wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am
mikepa wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:12 am Yeah. Trouble shooting incompetence aside, I guess I was hoping they were more interested in being mod-friendly and selling Jeeps than mini vans. Yet another newb lesson learned.
If they give you grief, go to a different dealer. The only warranty work I had done was a bad coil replacement, but Acton Jeep didn't say a word about any of the mods I had at that time. (there weren't as many as now, but suspension, wheels/tires, electrical, and body had all been touched) They did the work, didn't try to charge, and complimented the Jeep when they gave it back.

YMMV, but you're definitely not tied to the dealer where you bought the Jeep. If you don't like the service, don't give them the business.
Hank, if you never need to borrow them, I have a set of extra wide Metal Cloak fenders that will pretty much cover any tire
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

BlackKnight wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 am BTW, for those that have Tires outside the wheel well of their Jeeps. Here is the law as written in MGL 90-7:

"Every motor vehicle or trailer, excepting passenger motor vehicles, operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with suitable guards which will effectively reduce the spray or splash to the rear of mud, water or slush caused by the rear wheels thereof. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides."

That is the law as written, However Inspection rules and regulations are, as I've been told, entirely different and do not allow tires to extend outside the fender flares...

And here is the PDF Link to the Lift laws of MA, which again are different than what is in the Inspection Rules and Regulations...

As stated, Lift (combined both Tire and mechanical lift) on 4WD vehicles are limited to the following calculation: (Wheel Base x Wheel Track)/2200 = Maximum height above OEM door jam height. Specifically, note that body lift is not included in the calculation, and thus if we need more height to clear tires we could put some body lift in.

Source for a bunch of the laws across the states... https://www.liftlaws.com
Thanks Bob. Using the links you had sent previously and the specs FCA has published, I calculate an allowable mechanical and tire lift of approximately 3.5" for the JL Rubicon. (118.4 WB x 64.4 WT)/2200. BTW, I have not been able to verify whether the 64.4 wheel track published is for the wider Rubicon D44 M210/M220 axles but the 3.5" is about the same even if you use the sometimes quoted but not confirmed 68" wide D44 number. With 37's and 2.5" lift, I am 4.5" taller. Guess I have to go back to my stock 33's or downsize to 35's and get those flaps on :) .
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Hank wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am

It will honestly be less aggravation for me to fix the issues myself should Acton Jeep come back later today with PNF (Problems Not Found).
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

mikepa wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am Thanks Bob. Using the links you had sent previously and the specs FCA has published, I calculate an allowable mechanical and tire lift of approximately 3.5" for the JL Rubicon. (118.4 WB x 64.4 WT)/2200. BTW, I have not been able to verify whether the 64.4 wheel track published is for the wider Rubicon D44 M210/M220 axles but the 3.5" is about the same even if you use the sometimes quoted but not confirmed 68" wide D44 number. With 37's and 2.5" lift, I am 4.5" taller. Guess I have to go back to my stock 33's or downsize to 35's and get those flaps on :) .
Here's what Mine look like... Went with the EVO ones.

One other thing, the law states that it has a +-1" due to variations, so if you're within an inch, you may be good...

Another thing to consider, if your tires are outside the wheel wells, you may be running different backspacing, which modifies the track calculation. Note the law specifically states that Spacers do not offer a difference in the calculation, Only rim backspacing.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

You guys are to much. If it doesn't look ridiculously stupid you are going to pass. Everyone in here that bitches about this doesn't even have a lifted jeep that would be questioned. How about just going in and seeing what happens instead of trying to sweet talk people and say will it pass first or say I know the law.

Why people should go back to making relationships with businesses and using same ones instead of shopping around to save 3 cents.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

I did not have any issues passing last year and do not anticipate any problems this year. My dealer request was just one of convenience "while you are at it". And at the end of the day, if I do not pass, I will rectify whatever needs to be done to pass. This is why I still have my original wheels/tires collecting dust in my basement. No complaints here. Just rolling with the flow.
Lisah311
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

I’d fail Mike for his push-bottom retractable sunroof
2005 Rubicon