New sneakers...

DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

New sneakers...

Unread post by DOUG »

New tires for the Scrambler, 36/13.50/15 Iroks. Sweet deal including the wheels, which happen to be the right BP for the Waggy axles. Problem is the wheels are 10" wide, compared to the 8" wheels I have now they are going to stick out quite a bit.
My question is, can these tires be squeezed on an 8" wheel?
If not, I was thinking of having these wheels converted to beadlocks and running them.
Thoughts?
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: New sneakers...

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Nice Doug! Irok's will be my next tire choice too.

I would squeeze 13.5" wide tire onto an 8" rim, although at this point I would try the 10's out and see how they go.

I run my 15.5" tires on 15x10's and they hold great (as you know from Moab).
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Should be fine on the 10" wide. I run a 35x12.50 on an 18x9" wide rim. Optimal footprint for me is at about 8 psi, and I haven't lost a bead yet.

Question, what up with everyone having a hard-on for 15" rims around here? I know my 18" is a bit tall, and were selected for purposes of highway stability, but even when I go off DD status with my rig and run bead locks I'm still going to need a 17" rim to accomodate my brakes.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ArticRubi wrote:Question, what up with everyone having a hard-on for 15" rims around here? I know my 18" is a bit tall, and were selected for purposes of highway stability, but even when I go off DD status with my rig and run bead locks I'm still going to need a 17" rim to accomodate my brakes.
15" is a common / historical wheel size for Jeeps and the tires & wheels tend to be cheaper. That may be changing slowly though as larger wheel sizes are more common for newer model years now.

JW
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

TJs and earlier can generally get away with a 15" wheel. What I don't understand is how the tire companies can be charging so much more for a tire with a bigger hole in it.

Less material=more money, I guess they're actually bikinis.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:Question, what up with everyone having a hard-on for 15" rims around here? I know my 18" is a bit tall, and were selected for purposes of highway stability, but even when I go off DD status with my rig and run bead locks I'm still going to need a 17" rim to accomodate my brakes.
The letters on the sidewall are bigger and look cooler. :dance:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Modeler wrote:TJs and earlier can generally get away with a 15" wheel. What I don't understand is how the tire companies can be charging so much more for a tire with a bigger hole in it.

Depends on the sales volume more than the materials for most tires (unless they are using a special process/material). Manufacturing different sizes means having to offset their fixed manufacturing costs for each size which requires different tooling, process, inventory space, etc... If they are producing/selling smaller volumes the materials cost difference isn't the significant driver of end price -- the other costs are. Because 15" wheels have historically been one of the most common sizes they were produced in the most volume for the largest market and could be sold at a lower price point.

As vehicles with larger wheel sizes are more standard then you'll see the price points shift as the sales volumes shift towards larger wheels.

On the trail a taller sidewall is going to offer more/better flex, so if offroad performance is the primary concern you'd be better off with a 15" tire/wheel rather than stepping up to a larger wheel size.

JW
88jeepxj
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

I'd love to find a good deal on 31 or 32 inch MT tires so my XJ can have new sneakers! The BFG ATs are an amazing all around tire, but I don't need an all around tire anymore.

So yeah, let me know if anybody finds a good deal! :)
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

nostaw wrote:
Modeler wrote:TJs and earlier can generally get away with a 15" wheel. What I don't understand is how the tire companies can be charging so much more for a tire with a bigger hole in it.

Depends on the sales volume more than the materials for most tires (unless they are using a special process/material). Manufacturing different sizes means having to offset their fixed manufacturing costs for each size which requires different tooling, process, inventory space, etc... If they are producing/selling smaller volumes the materials cost difference isn't the significant driver of end price -- the other costs are. Because 15" wheels have historically been one of the most common sizes they were produced in the most volume for the largest market and could be sold at a lower price point.

As vehicles with larger wheel sizes are more standard then you'll see the price points shift as the sales volumes shift towards larger wheels.

On the trail a taller sidewall is going to offer more/better flex, so if offroad performance is the primary concern you'd be better off with a 15" tire/wheel rather than stepping up to a larger wheel size.

JW
John, you're thinking too logically. It was said for humor and must have failed. <hangs head in shame> :doh:
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

Modeler wrote:
nostaw wrote:

JW
John, you're thinking too logically. It was said for humor and must have failed. <hangs head in shame> :doh:
I got it. :lol:
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

Nice find doug

[

quote="ArticRubi"]Should be fine on the 10" wide. I run a 35x12.50 on an 18x9" wide rim. Optimal footprint for me is at about 8 psi, and I haven't lost a bead yet.

Question, what up with everyone having a hard-on for 15" rims around here? I know my 18" is a bit tall, and were selected for purposes of highway stability, but even when I go off DD status with my rig and run bead locks I'm still going to need a 17" rim to accomodate my brakes.[/quote]

Rule of thumb rim size should be less than 1/2 tire size, more sidewall flex.
nostaw

New sneakers...

Unread post by nostaw »

Modeler wrote:
Sorry... I'm an engineer... I take things literally... ;)

JW
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

nostaw wrote:
Modeler wrote:
Sorry... I'm an engineer... I take things literally... ;)

JW
No problem. I have to deal with Hardware Engineers, Software Engineers and Field Service Engineers all day, I'm used to it. :banana-guitar:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Doug : I believe there is a 2" offset to the 10 " rim. I cant believe they would stick out that bad . If you dont like how they look, have them cut for Beadlocks ! You will still have the same back spacing . I like that idea and that gives you an opption for an 8.5 or 9 " rim. I think I read the tire shouldnt be more than three inches wider than the rim , but we all have 12.5s on 8s so theres that answer. Nice grab and good luck. FjR68
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

ArticRubi wrote:Should be fine on the 10" wide. I run a 35x12.50 on an 18x9" wide rim. Optimal footprint for me is at about 8 psi, and I haven't lost a bead yet.

Question, what up with everyone having a hard-on for 15" rims around here? I know my 18" is a bit tall, and were selected for purposes of highway stability, but even when I go off DD status with my rig and run bead locks I'm still going to need a 17" rim to accomodate my brakes.
Murphy's Law. Rolled the tire off my right front rim on Sunday :lol: I have to learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes!