Have to love the 4:1

You can talk about anything here
ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Have to love the 4:1

Unread post by ChrisD »

Finally got to go wheeling this weekend and had a blast. This was my first time out with my "NEW" Jeep and I say new, cause after the 4:1 it is nothing like the one I have been wheeling for the last 3 years. For most of the day, I honestly felt like I was driving an automatic due to the fact I rarely had to touch the clutch to manage my speed. And there is nothing like not needing to touch the skinny pedal when climbing a hill, due to your crawl rate. There was one area that was once referred to a camel back, however has been converted into a side to side "don't scrape the side of your jeep on the rocks" obstacle. I was the only one "not" on 35's and crawled thru it the rear bumper just slightly kissing a rock when exiting the obstacle, due to the fact I had so much more control b/c of my crawl rate.

The point I am trying to drive home is... the 4:1 is money well spent (something that I would invest in before ever thinking about a trailer cough cough... jeff)
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Have to love the 4:1

Unread post by Kurt »

Great to hear you love it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Another 4:1 convert :lol:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Kurt wrote:Great to hear you love it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Another 4:1 convert :lol:
Keep your eyes open for one for me ;)
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Good to know 4:1 works well ..... I was considering the swap but I've had my share of wrenching for this year.
Staying with 33's and 4:10 I've got to know my skinny pedal very good :-) That's why I decided replace my clutch .
Still have my $300 94 YJ project jeep to swap the frame. After just doing my 92 and retaining all of the running gear I'm tinkering with the idea of going V8 with running gear out of a Grand Cherokee along with a wheelbase stretch and keeping the coils :music-rockout: The heck with crawling I'm thinking Clawing :drool:
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids