Traded the XJ.......

You can talk about anything here
SteveB
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1986
Jeep Model: MJ Comanche

Traded the XJ.......

Unread post by SteveB »

Mixed feelings on this. Loved my first '01 XJ and never really warmed up to the second (also an '01).
So I traded for a '97 TJ Sport 4.0 5spd. Despite being a member since '06 I am still very much a noob :roll: and have no idea what I've got. It has been lifted by a previous owner and currently wears size 33 sneakers.
It is pretty clean with a lot of small wear and tear issues that I'll eventually address.

Once I get required equipment on board I hope to make a run and have more experienced eyes tell me what I got.

-Steve
Last edited by SteveB on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZAEDOCK wrote:Jesus man, you're a Jeepn' psycho.
nostaw

Re: Traded the XJ.......

Unread post by nostaw »

Looks like it is in pretty nice shape.... Take a pic of the rear diff and we can identify it... looks like they did a (2"?) body lift... is there any suspension lift?

JW
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

The tub looks like it is on stilts, I am thinking 2-3" body lift? No camera handy tonight but I'll get pics up tomorrow. Thanks.

It has a few small surface rust spots and lots of little things like door handle missing, loose driver mirror etc.
I have caught myself twice looking under the dash for the hood release :doh:

I missed the storage space of the XJ today. I'll have to be more efficient with what I want to carry.

Also, I kept my Warn 9.5ti from the XJ and will be swapping it on.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It looks real good from the pics. Whatcha gonna do with the XR-8 ??? See ya on a trail next year , mine is being revamped,overhauled , (no- not like the show ) Repaired. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Pics show a D35 in the rear and a D30 in the front.... probably 3.07's
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

Thanks..

How does that effect me on 33's? It does seem to run out of gear on the highway. Down-shifting to 4th to climb hills at 65-70mph. Is my speedo likely reading lower than it should?

Xr-8 will be available for sale / trade, deeply discounted of course.

Also some issues with transfer case and second gear. Tough to get into 2nd usually on downshift, and 4hi is moody. 4lo is spot on. Being an unlifted unibody guy up to this point I am wondering if the body lift is creating alignment issues/rubbing with shift linkages??

I feel like I am starting over with Jeeping, so much to learn.

Lost a brake line today too, dealer is going to take care of that.
Also frozen/spinning lug/stud on spare tire mount, dealers mechanic had at it today (unsuccesfully), I'll have him try again while they're doing work on their dime.

Thanks again for input.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

How does that effect me on 33's? It does seem to run out of gear on the highway. Down-shifting to 4th to climb hills at 65-70mph. Is my speedo likely reading lower than it should?
Yup, you speedo is most likely off unless the PO put in a different speedo gear.
I ran a 97 TJ 4 cylinder on same TrXus 33's for a couple of years. Just had to downshift on the hills :lol:

Also some issues with transfer case and second gear. Tough to get into 2nd usually on downshift, and 4hi is moody. 4lo is spot on. Being an unlifted unibody guy up to this point I am wondering if the body lift is creating alignment issues/rubbing with shift linkages??
With that towering body lift most likely the shifter is hitting the tub and causing problems. Notching the tub and moving the shift boot assembly is one way to cure it. You'll have to inspect the tcase shifter linkage and see if a relocation bracket was installed. Might need some adjustment too.
Might want to consider reducing or eliminating the body lift.

Lost a brake line today too, dealer is going to take care of that.
Since one let go you ought to inspect the remaining lines. The others may not be far behind.
The trouble spots on them are usually the front brake lines behind the shock towers and the rear main line along the driver side frame near the tcase/tranny.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Another option for the t-case linkage would be to swap in a cable shifter from Novak, or similar source. Chris just put on in his LJ, though I don't know which one.

JW
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

Suffering from buyers remorse I returned this to the dealer.
Thank you to Kurt and Jon for your invaluable input. Sorry Frank winch no longer available ;)
The brake line was repaired however they could not figure out the linkage issues without sending it out to a transmission shop? (Which they were willing to do.) The shop my dealer was using do not appear to be any more knowledgeable than I w/ regard to lifted vehicles.
I feel I would have to spend more money than I currently have to correct the previous owners modifications. If I have to do that I would rather start from a stock vehicle and build it to my needs and desires (with lots of noob questions to you all).
My dealer took it back w/o question and since I still want to get in a TJ I have him looking for something else for me.
Thanks again!
-Steve
nostaw

Traded the XJ.......

Unread post by nostaw »

Nice to be able to do that... I'd never want to buy a modified vehicle if I didn't know the guy.

JW