The Drill Doctor - feedback?

ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

Anyone own a Drill Doctor? Was thinking of buying the 750 model. Is it worth the $150?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: The Drill Doctor - feedback?

Unread post by Frank »

I have an off brand that works okay. The drills come out fine,a little hard to use. I bought the doctor 2 yrs. ago and once you remember the sequence to using it , it makes any bit like new ! Much easier to use. IMO FjR68
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

For $150 you can buy a lot of drill bits. They had one as a door prize at at BSJ raffle... The problem (as I recall) was the base model could do most small bits, but you needed to buy extra mountings (can't remember what they were called) to do larger sizes... Seemed like it cost a lot for something I wouldn't use too often... Small bits are cheap to replace... I would want it for big bits, but again, I don't use them enough given the cost.

JW
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

The 750 will sharpen bits up to 3/4 which is all I need.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

I've got a cheapie ($30) HF sharpener that handles up to 1/2" bits that does fine. For larger bits, I put a narrow stone on the grinder and use a steady hand. You can get 10 packs of coated bits up to 1/4" at HF for under $5 and I've found myself using their uni-bit sets for a lot of my fab work.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I won one at a BSJ meeting years ago. I tried it, but was never able get a dull bit to work any better. Maybe it's me, but it just didn't seem to be worth my time and effort. I sold it on Ebay, and just buy new bits now.

I use DeWalt bits, and have found that if you take care of them, center punch your work, drill pilot holes, use cutting oil and keep your drill speed down they'll last quite a long time.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Mine is the 350 model, it will take up to a half inch. All I need. Your drill speed for mild steel should be in the 500 to 800 RPMs. Ive had no issues with starting or drilling after sharpening . You should be able to see a perfect hour glass when looking straight at the sharpened bit. That machine couldnt be any easier to use ! FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I break bits 'cause I'm a F'n animal.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Yah u R ! FjR68
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

The one Don had is the one I was thinking of... Probably a different model than the one you're looking at.

JW
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

nostaw wrote:The one Don had is the one I was thinking of... Probably a different model than the one you're looking at.

JW
Actually the same model - it was a 750. I think I got $125 on ebay
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

DDewar53 wrote:
nostaw wrote:The one Don had is the one I was thinking of... Probably a different model than the one you're looking at.

JW
Actually the same model - it was a 750. I think I got $125 on ebay
I seem to remember someone saying that for larger bit sizes an additional arbor (or something) was needed so the tool could use sharpen them which wasn't part of what was in the box... Perhaps it was a lower-end model though -- honestly I don't recall the specifics.

I looked at buying one a couple years ago and decided not to because I didn't think I got enough value for the $ -- is easier to just buy new bits.

JW
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Jon - I had the same thought process, picking up new craftsman set every 6months for $24-30 (bits just don't seem to last even with the right rpm and size). So a neighbor mentioned the Drill Doctor and stated that his shop has an older version that they use all the time and is worth it. So now I am thinking about pulling the trigger...

So many tools so little time, always enough money for tools!
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Well happen to be at Sears and the 750 was on sale for $130... Yup I bought it. Will follow up with a review.
Helicoil
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by Helicoil »

Use it all the time arbor pro go up to 3/4" it also does masonry bits, well work the convenience and trips to the store to get new bits. Have mine about 5 years now.