Is the NV241OR 4:1 really worth it?

You can talk about anything here
ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Is the NV241OR 4:1 really worth it?

Unread post by ChrisD »

Was talking to Joe earlier about this topic... conclusion that I came to was 4:1 is a nice to have but for NE wheeling 1st won't get used enough to make it worth the upgrade.

Thoughts?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Is the NV241OR 4:1 really worth it?

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Remember: "Worth" is in the eye of the beholder.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by beaker »

All I can say is I love low gears. One of these days I hope to get some lower gears in the Jeep...

-mike
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Like the talk I had with Joe... potential great deal with a potential risk (seller expressed the TC might have to be looked at).

Just wondering if I would end up using 1st gear...
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Personally I love the 4:1 in my YJ.
Nice to have especially when crawling around in the rocks. Nice & slow instead of being on and off the clutch so much.
Just up shift to 2nd if 1st is too low for given situations.

Heck, I even put one in my TJ which is primarily a daily driver.... for now. 8-)

What's the possbile issue with the one the seller has available?
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Chris : When you get into a situation where speed is not good and slipping the clutch is just as tricky, Thats what gearing is for. I can clearly say that if mud running is your bag , you might not need a 4x1. I run 4.56 with 35s and turn 2680 at 60-65. In the woods and rocks I can run 2nd and third gear for most stuff without slipping the clutch and then there is first gear for creeping through or over stuff with enough rpm to control your speed and you descent without touching the brakes. On the street there was a saying ( Theres no substitute for cubic inches) What we do, There is never enough gear. I went from 3.73 on 32s to 4,56 with 35s and I wish I went with 4.88s ! Go for it ! FjR68
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

It's on it's way!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Chris wrote:Was talking to Joe earlier about this topic... conclusion that I came to was 4:1 is a nice to have but for NE wheeling 1st won't get used enough to make it worth the upgrade.
Actually, I said you'd love the low gearing, but would spend most of the time in 2nd gear. Hence, worth is in the eye...
Chris wrote:It's on it's way!
You bought the borken 241? My recommendation was that is wasn't worth buying a damaged and repaired (that still had issues) t-case. I hope it works out for you.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Joe... my bad on what you had stated, because of the 2nd gear comment I started thinking it might not be worth it. Yes, I pulled the trigger for several reasons.... The person sent a bunch of photos of the case when he got it and gave more background. The original front half had 2 very small fracture cracks. Also it had been rebuilt by a shop and if anything is wrong with it, I can always fix it. Yes it is a gamble, time will only tell.

I guess this was one of those times where I would of found myself saying... what if I would of pulled the trigger.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Chris : You are gonna be amazed at the change. You will think someone stole your Jeep and left this one. The best thing is that it dont effect street driving at all. If the case has cracks Id look for signs of impact or was it just that abused. You might consider a new half case or dismantle and weld . You will love it ! You rode mine for a hundred feet till I ate the radiator. You seemed quite excited ! You wont look back. More gear please ! FjR68
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Frank - The half was already replaced with a new half and completely rebuilt. Person stated that after long drives (more than 20mins) a slight vibration developed. Now after 20mins of driving, things get hot and expand. So could of been something in his drive line or something else.

Here are some photos of the case before the repair
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

And an image of the fixed case...

I plan on going through this before it gets mounted....
Attachments
TC-case-side.jpg
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

No what ? My friend (member) Bill D from Ct. has an 04 Rubi that when new was leaking oil and blowing the yolk seal right out of the unit. 3 or 4 times and if I remember correctly the stealer changed the case and the issue went away. Maybe the early ones had a bad case or run of bearings. Try researching that and maybe you got the updated case and your troubles are over ! Eitherway dude your gonna love it ! 100% FjR68
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Is this Bill with the Black Rubi and the turtle?

The Rubi this came out of a 04 rubi that was in an accident (not sure how bad the accident was), which is why the case was cracked. The person that wrecked the rubi bought back the jeep from the ins company and parted it out. The person that sold me the 241 has connections and was able to get a new case half (from the dealer) and rebuild kit (from JB Customs). For what ever reason (not sure why) because of the slight vibration (which please define "slight") they didn't feel comfortable and purchased another NEW 241. So is there a gamble??? YES
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Bills is silver,his son James has the mint blue and silver Yj. If the impact was great enough to collapse the drive shaft to the point of cracking the case. There is a most definite chance a shaft was bent also. If they rebuilt this thing Id give it a shot. Its a (pita) to change em out but the end advantage will be awsome. Good luck FjR68