Traveling Advice...and blog: http://jeepincrossamerica.blogs

You can talk about anything here
SteveB
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1986
Jeep Model: MJ Comanche

Traveling Advice...and blog: http://jeepincrossamerica.blogs

Unread post by SteveB »

I've got the summer off so Tyler and I are driving cross-country. I am taking the MJ and would be grateful for any advice, must-sees, equipment ideas and feedback. IIRC didn't NTN Chris make an Atlantic to Pacific trip some years back? I can't find the link to his blog.
Anyway, preliminary route will be a figure 8 if time allows. West to as far as Wisconsin, SW through to CO, UT, AZ then West through NV, Death Valley and North through Yosemite on to Mt Hood, Back East through ID before crossing back through CO through the SE US before returning North.

-Steve
http://jeepincrossamerica.blogspot.com/ ... start.html
Last edited by SteveB on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ZAEDOCK wrote:Jesus man, you're a Jeepn' psycho.
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Traveling Advice...

Unread post by jquader »

The one must see I'd add is Yellowstone.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

I agree and will despite Tyler's protests. He saw on NOVA that Yellowstone is 1 giant simmering super volcano and announced that we were not going there. :roll:
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by jquader »

Yeah, some areas stink really bad of sulfur, but I think he'll be amazed by the wildlife. Where else will you see bison, moose, elk, bears, wolves, deer, and mountain goats in one area? We got caught 70 miles from the exit to the park after dark. That was a long slow creepy drive.
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

jquader wrote:Yeah, some areas stink really bad of sulfur, but I think he'll be amazed by the wildlife. Where else will you see bison, moose, elk, bears, wolves, deer, and mountain goats in one area? We got caught 70 miles from the exit to the park after dark. That was a long slow creepy drive.
Denali National Park, AK.... I've been and it is worth the trip! It does add a bit to the drive though... ;)

Depending on which parts of AZ you're going to I hear Bryce Canyon is pretty spectacular (there is another area near there, but I can't think of the name). The Grand Canyon is definitely worth checking out - Beverly and I were really impressed. I've heard great things about Glacier National Park and the Grand Tetons too, but I think that is further to the NW than you're planning to go. When we were in Moab we drove up into Arches National Park for the last 1/2 day and it was pretty spectacular. I would have preferred to be there longer and to have done more hiking. I went to Yosemite when I was a kid and I still remember a little of it -- pretty amazing.

Not sure what kind of accommodations you guys plan on staying at... I don't know if it would make sense to try to get a small popup or something light you can tow so you always have a dry place to sleep which is easy to setup, or stick to tenting. I don't mind tent setup / take down fora night or two, but for an extended trip I can see it being a real PITA.

JW
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Wow, I'm envious. I've always dreamed of doing just that on either a Goldwing or one of those extended camper vans. Someday. The only things I have to add would be a drive on Rt 311 in VA / WV or the Blue Ridge Mt Pkwy and take Rt 101 from Winchester Bay OR to San Fran. It's a day's drive along the rocky northern CA coast and through Redwood National Forest.
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

Some great ideas, thanks!
@ JW, I've got a shell for the bed of the truck, with sliding screened side windows ($50 cl find). It will be our traveling cave. I'm building a bed platform with ample storage underneath. Also bringing the tent should that suit our fancy.
Last edited by SteveB on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SidewaysTim

How old is Tyler?
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

8 in July.
SidewaysTim

Man, what a great trip! He's going to cherish those memories for the rest of his life.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

We're going to do this next year before Moab.

We're looking at heading back to MN, head west into Wa, south to CA, and then come back visiting multiple parks/sights all along the way.
Should take about a month +. With the whole summer, you'll have a lot of time to visit MANY places.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

X 2 on Yosemite. If you get the chance, drive over Tioga pass, it's awesome. Make sure your brakes are in good shape.
Lake Tahoe is a beautiful area, but getting kind of crowded for my taste.
Some of the smaller cities in Nevada are interesting - Virginia City is cool, Tonopah can be interesting but going downhill since the gold mining picked up.
I notice you don't list anything in southern CA - good choice, you're not missing anything.
In central CA, Sequoia National Park is cool, standing next to those big trees really gives you a new perspective on things.
As Jon noted, Arches is awesome, also near Moab try to hit Dead Horse Point state park. If you happen to miss the Grand Canyon for some reason, Dead Horse Point will make up for it.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
Keith
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Keith »

I did a big trip last summer. MUST does:

Arches national park - and hit up moab, as you are right there!
Bryce canyon - awesome rock formations, good hiking, amazing sunrise
Zion - this place is ridiculus. I expected to see dinosaurs around every corner.
Yosemite. Nuff said.

Buy one of those parks passes - so much cheaper than paying individual entrance fees at each park.

I have not made it to badlands yet, but definitely planning on it sometime in the future.

To add a little fun, I'd also say hit up the oregon dunes. Rent a buggy and go bombing around :)

If you happen to swing through minneapolis minnesota and need a place to stay, holler! same goes for anyone else coming through minneapolis - JOE!
2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak'd, 1” BL, 35” Mudgrapplers, 17” AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX, Herc’d, Clayton skids, Chromolys, Currie HD, CO2 & a bunch of other goodies...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

SteveB wrote:Some great ideas, thanks!
@ JW, I've got a shell for the bed of the truck, with sliding screened side windows ($50 cl find). It will be our traveling cave. I'm building a bed platform with ample storage underneath. Also bringing the tent should that suit our fancy.
Great idea! I was thinking of suggesting something like that!

If (someday) I can buy a pickup truck for utility / tow use I'd plan to put a cap on the bed so I could do the same, until I could afford some kind of slide-in to sleep on (I'm tired of tenting).

JW
SteveB

Unread post by SteveB »

Some great suggestions, thanks.