Death Wobble - Fixed!

dvm
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Death Wobble - Fixed!

Unread post by dvm »

Just thought I'd share my first "Death Wobble" experience.

Most experienced Off-Roaders are familier with the notorious "Death Wobble" and have experienced it. Well, I've been driving my heap for some 11 years now, but only started off roading and jeep modifications in the spring of 2009. I've broken alot of things underneath, but never had the infamous DW.

About a month ago, driving home from a NH run, I hit some rough pavement. I was only going about 45 mph. ( I don't exceed 55, with the 4.88 gears anyway). Well, all of a sudden, the front end of my heap started vibratng, wheels hopping, more and more violently, like an unstable system ready to explode! It got so bad, in the matter of a few seconds, that I thought my jeep was going crack into pieces! Wow! What an experience. Hitting the breaks and turning was the only way to stop it. It had been occurring up until today, however, I've learned to sense when it is going to start and prevent it for the most part.

Well, in the course of the past few weeks, Ive become very familier with Death Wobble, reading forums and talking to folks. Rotated the tires... no help. Then got a front end alignment..no help. But the alignment guy told me I had an oblong hole in the lower track bar mount. I took the bolt out and, sure enough, it was oblong.

Another view. Pay no attention to my sway bar just about to come loose. I didn't notice it til I saw it in the picture. It must have just happened.

The day the death wobble started, and it did just all of a sudden start ( no progressive gradual thing over a week or something), I do remember banging my front axle and control arms on rocks a few time.

Well, today my mechanic welded a grade 8 washer over the oblong hole, and much to my amazement (and joy), the Death Wobble was gone! Rides like it should after a wheel balance and alignment!

The more I learn, the less I know
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Death Wobble - Fixed!

Unread post by Carl McFly »

45 MPH - that's when my feel-like-chit shimmy starts (with a DW being a 10, my FLS shimmy was a 3) Pretty sure it's related to my track-bar, re-torquing the bolts made it better. Not great, but better. Hopefully when I bolt on my RE adj track bar that will fix it. But before I bolt it on, I'll be looking at the mounts! Thanks for the info
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Damn Carl I was hoping this was your thread.. :( Nice write up though! thanks for posting.

Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Damn coil springs suspension.

Making me think twice about putting my YJ body on a TJ frame....
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I've had problems when the track bar bolt has loosened. Usually goes away once I've tightened them back up. It is the first thing I check now...

JW