Tune-up

JamesTree
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Tune-up

Unread post by JamesTree »

Hey guys, Im doing a tune up on the jeep this weekend and was wondering what was the best parts (cap, rotor, plugs, and wires) to put in would be. Ive read to just put in the cheap champion truck plugs and the best wires autozone has. Its a 4.0 engine.

Thanks James
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Tune-up

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I use components that use copper on the contact points for the cap/rotor. Those are typically of a higher quality.
I run Accel wires on my 2.5L in the 8mm flavor and use Autolite plugs.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
JamesTree

I just ordered the parts from jegs.. It didnt seem like the rotor and cap at the autoparts store have copper contact points. I could be wrong but it was cheaper online anyways. I also ordered Redline MT90 for my AX15. I hope that will work ok.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

James : I 2nd what Joe said. Copper contacts in the cap and the bigger wires insulate and send more current to the plugs. Ive had good luck with Autolite plugs and this last set were Bosch Platinums. Dont forget the rotor also. FjR68
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

Not sure what year your TJ is James but Kellys Rubi is an 04 and it came with NGK plugs. I'm a big fan of putting in what came out.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

JamesTree wrote:I just ordered the parts from jegs.. It didnt seem like the rotor and cap at the autoparts store have copper contact points. I could be wrong but it was cheaper online anyways. I also ordered Redline MT90 for my AX15. I hope that will work ok.
I've had really bad experiences with Champion spark plugs, and don't buy them any more. When I drove a Chevy, I used AC spark plugs, I use Autolites in my jeep.

As far as oil for my ax15 - the ONLY thing I'll use is fluid that specifically says "For yellow metal" on the label. Our AX15s have brass synchros, most GL4 is not certified for brass transmission parts. I haven't checked the Redline stuff, but I'll tell you that after 2 rebuilds in 2 years, the only thing I'll use in my transmission is the Pennzoil Synchromesh GL3. YMMV, but that's what I do.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

JamesTree wrote: I also ordered Redline MT90 for my AX15. I hope that will work ok.
MT90 is synchro safe. Good choice.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
JamesTree

Awesome, Ive been doing alot of reading on what to use for fluid. Right now the fluid in there is causing hard shifts untill it warms up. I hope it makes it a little better.