Dealing with rust in the frame

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Dealing with rust in the frame

Unread post by del_TJ »

So my heep is coming on being 13 years old which I know is young for some jeep owners. Last summer I started painting my frame and not surprisingly found lots of rust inside the frame. I was able to pull out a pile of rust flakes and chunks of rusted metal which I had to break up to get out.

I searched on the internet and some people recommended spraying in linseed oil, used motor oil, waxoyl, and a couple of other things and then I came across Eastwood Internal Frame Spray (#12515 Z). The Eastwood stuff is supposed to be a cure-all - it penetrates and converts rust and seals it in - and that sounded better than some sticky petroleum based stuff.

After the Maine Jeep Jamboree in September, I hosed out my frame, let it dry, and used a wet-vac with a long hose attached to get out dirt and rust and then did it all again.

Another week went before I vacuumed the frame again before spraying. Here's some more of the rust flakes that I was pulling out today before spraying.
P1000132.jpg
The Eastwood spray comes with a long thin hose with a special nozzle that sprays in every direction. I tried it on the ground and it basically puffs a big cloud of the stuff everywhere. It sprays as an olive green color and it looks like 2 cans will cover the entire inside of TJ frame. The spray is real easy to use and seems to dry or tack down quickly. So far so good!

Tony
P1000129.jpg
P1000126.jpg
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Dealing with rust in the frame

Unread post by johnsxj »

The Eastwood Company has been around for quite a while and offer quality products (some a bit pricey but they tend to work).
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

wow..... this is definitely going on my list

PM sent re a write-up for Tracks
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

i used the eastwood stuff on my rig. hard to tell how well it worked, but when i outboard the rear shocks i'll be able to take a good look inside the frame and see how it coated things.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I have a small boroscope type thing... I can bring it to the tech day on Sat if someone wants to take a peek inside their frame...

JW
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by nhdcoye »

I've got the same stuff planned my "new" / donor frame once I complete all planned welding on it .
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Here's a picture of the vacuum hose I was able to slide up and down the inside of the frame in case anyone is interested. I bought a 3.5hp small canister wet-vac at Home Depot for $25 and it really "sucks" :lol: It's a strong little vac and was perfect for this job. You can see how the plastic tube turned a rust color. I'm also curious to see how well the frame spray seals and how long it lasts.
P1000124.jpg
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Booger weld doesn't rust. :lol:

My next frame will be sealed shut and beefed before it's installed.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

ZAEDOCK wrote:Booger weld doesn't rust. :lol:

My next frame will be sealed shut and beefed before it's installed.
Wow. Can you ever keep 100% of muddy water out? Seems to me that if you ever get some water in a sealed frame, then it's worth than an open boxed frame that can breath.