Front drive shaft....

norstar
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Front drive shaft....

Unread post by norstar »

Hi guys, I might swap in the rear D44 with 4.88 this weekend if I have time. This means the front will still be running the old 4.10. My question is, should I just disconnect the front drive shaft at the pinion end and tie it up? The DS still be connected at the tcase and I'll be running 2Hi. Is this safe? Thanks in advance!
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Front drive shaft....

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Its not that much more work to remove it.... Id pull it to be safe.. are you going to need a new adapter to tie in hte front shaft? Any idea if the new front axle your dropping in will have the same length all around as the old? when I put my LA kit in and d44 a lot changed and I had to shorten the front DS...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Yes , its safe. make sure you tape the U-joint caps on the end you take off. Cant see why you wouldnt take the other end off also ? FjR68
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by norstar »

Voodoo Chile wrote:Its not that much more work to remove it.... Id pull it to be safe.. are you going to need a new adapter to tie in hte front shaft? Any idea if the new front axle your dropping in will have the same length all around as the old? when I put my LA kit in and d44 a lot changed and I had to shorten the front DS...
Not pulling the front axle yet. Just want to have it disconnected from the drive line.
When I'm done with the "front" HP D44, I'll be using the same DS and u-joint. So no adapter of any kind needed. I'm pretty sure the D44 pinion is a little longer than the D30. Since I'm still using the factory original DS up front and the jeep is lifted with bigger tires, the D44 should give me back about an inch or so. Maybe more but I'll find out... :)
Frank wrote:Yes , its safe. make sure you tape the U-joint caps on the end you take off. Cant see why you wouldnt take the other end off also ? FjR68
Just 100% laziness. :D
But I think I'll just pull it... :lol: