You can talk about anything here
patrickwoconnor
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

How do I become a trail leader?

Unread post by patrickwoconnor »

Hello,

I retired from the MA ANG last year, so now I've got more weekends free and I'm getting more involved with BSJ.

Many times, our Class VI runs are getting cancelled due to a lack of trail leaders.

What's the process for becoming a BSJ trail leader? I've done convoys in the military - so I've got the org skills and safety issues nailed down.

I'm assuming that I need a map of the approved / recommended trails BSJ uses, plus a blessing from the Director of Trails or Director of Events. Is that true?

Any help or advice so I can earn my "Trail Leader Merit Badge" and help out would be greatly appreciated.

(I'll post a similar msg up on our BSJ Members FB page.)

Thanks,
- Pat O'C
Last edited by patrickwoconnor on Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pat O'C
"Doc" - 2008 JKUR w/ a long list of crap bolted on
2023/2024 Trails Committee
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: How do I become a trail leader?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Good to see someone step up. Biggest thing is getting the maps, it helps greatly if you've done the trails before. Reach out to the trail director and they can point you in the right direction. Sadly it is usually the same people that lead. I’m not sure who was signed up for this one, hopefully those that have can do the Turkey Trot the day after Thanksgiving
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Consider yourself one of the leaders for the Turkey Trot. Just to ensure things go well, we'd like another experienced leader on the run, but the BoD can assist with developing the plan and the documentation we use for day-of waivers etc.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
patrickwoconnor
BSJ Member

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:08 pm Consider yourself one of the leaders for the Turkey Trot. Just to ensure things go well, we'd like another experienced leader on the run, but the BoD can assist with developing the plan and the documentation we use for day-of waivers etc.
Hey BlackNBlue,

I'll definitely step up and lead or co-lead the Turkey Trot. My plan was to figure out which trails we could run and then pre-run them with Gaia GPS the week before.

Would like to keep things an hour from Central MA if possible - so more could join.
- Pat O'C
SgtChef
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by SgtChef »

I normally don't do class 6 roads anymore. But if Patrick wants to lead I will gun for him so he has someone with him to help out and corral the herd. :)
Also is there a track on Maprika? If not I will track it on the app for the future.
BOD 2022- Director of Events
BOD 2023: Director of Trails
patrickwoconnor
BSJ Member

All,

It looks like this discussion on the Turkey Trot has moved over the trails committee forum thread. Looks like Dale "Jonny09" and I will be organizing this run. Stay tuned on location, etc. - the trails team wants to get the Evite out this week.

- Pat O'C
- Pat O'C