MA Fender coverage

mikepa
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Re: MA Fender coverage

Unread post by mikepa »

Lisah311 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm I’d fail Mike for his push-bottom retractable sunroof
:lol:

Touché Lisa.

I just got an update from the dealer. Day three with rig and still could not solve either problem. They believe, however, that my Flashcal programmer is causing the battery drain problem and want to charge me $250 for having to troubleshoot with it installed. Another lesson learned and time to pick it up before they break something.
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021

Unread post by TheDirector »

Today was my first adventure into the fender coverage rules, they said my tires stick out too much and the inspector has a book. I was on the phone and not in the mood to attempt to discuss over the phone, so I am hoping to go in again tomorrow to chat and see if they will read CH 90 Sec 19 or at least show me what is in said book.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Doesn’t matter what the rules or book state. The guy who owns the shop can refuse to pass your vehicle if it’s modified or anything in any way that he’s not comfortable with. It’s his license on the line and quoting rules won’t matter. I’m sure plenty of others have tried to argue that with him, as well.

My idea would be to put on your stock tires/wheels, or build some fenders that are wider than stock that cover your tires.
2005 Rubicon
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary

I am 99% going to swap wheels, but I want to see said book and compare notes lol.
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Car Jack »

I always swap to my OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires for inspection. The goal is to go in, inspect, go home. Fighting some battle isn't of any interest to me.
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary

Car Jack wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:28 am I always swap to my OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires for inspection. The goal is to go in, inspect, go home. Fighting some battle isn't of any interest to me.
I ended up doing the same, I was just curious what the inspection guide said, but you know what they say about curiosity...I wonder if he recognized my heep, he was very nice and even delayed his lunch break a few minutes to get it done for me....I know he is just doing his job and doesn't make the rules etc
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I went to my local inspector over the summer when I put in my 4" lift (still on 35"s), now I'm not due till December, but I wanted to check to make sure my place would pass me. I walked in to just question the guy that does the inspection. "Hell no, I'm not passing that" as all he did was look at it from 40 yards away it sitting behind another SUV and only seeing the flat fender. " The fenders have way too much space between the tire". I looked at him a little funny and said that that is not one of the laws, Coverage for passenger vehicles, but space between the fender and tire is not. The Owner of the shop was there, and he's a fellow Jeeper, so the employee called him over. When he came over I shook his hand and got a little in before the employee started up on how he's going to fail me.

Frank went over to the Jeep, told me how nice it came out. I showed him the new suspension work, he asked me the height of the suspension Track and wheelbase, I handed him the sheet with the calculation already done, and the OEM information with the new rights and size differences. "Perfect, now I don't have to do all that math..." He walked around to the back over the vehicle, looked how high the frame was off the pavement, looked at the flat fenders, I then told him what the employee said (too much space between the tire and fender), he laughed. said that the employee only knew how to do cars and that he didn't understand that Jeep != Car. Said he would have no problem passing it as is (I had my mud flaps on) and said come December to remind the employee that "Frank said to Pass it"...

So Looks like my first inspection since the lift will be good to go. Come next spring when I up the tire size, add control arms and driveshafts (Maybe 1-tons or a D44 front), may have to keep the old tires so I can make sure to pass each time...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars