Electric trailer brakes adjustment question

Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Electric trailer brakes adjustment question

Unread post by Marky »

Easy question... how tight should I go and how tight is too tight? Currently they turn about a quarter turn when I spin them. Is that too tight? I've heard they should spin a full turn but no more. Online some people seem to back them off to almost free spin and others don't. At what point does it stop being personal preference and end up a firey mess? These are self-adjusting brakes, by the way.

Back story:
I replaced the complete wheel hub assemblies on the trailer over the summer with all new parts. After adjusting the brakes I was not happy with the results and determined that not enough power was getting to the brakes - only about 8v measured. I rewired the old rotting wires with heavier gauge wiring and can now measure about 11v. I pulled it up my driveway and could lock them up at full power so I figured that was a win. Now I just want to be sure I'm not going to burn up my new brakes this weekend. Should I back them off a bit or are they going to be fine?
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Electric trailer brakes adjustment question

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

DIY hack here, sounds too tight. With my minimal experience replacing the assemblies on my trailer, a slight drag allowing the wheel to spin about one revolution was good. No issues towing.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Electric trailer brakes adjustment question

Unread post by Marky »

I decided to loosen them up. They now go about one rotation. Thanks!
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor