Diagnose steering clank/bang?

Jonny09
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Diagnose steering clank/bang?

Unread post by Jonny09 »

2009 JKU Sahara.
So for the last month I’ve had a clank or bang in my steering or suspension. While wheeling, I’ve heard it while driving straight or turning. I don’t hear it while driving at highway speeds. On road it has only been while driving around town while making turns.

This is what I’ve found so far:
1. Track bar was loose. Retorqued it and some rattling, banging stopped.
2. Found my tie rod was bent which caused contact between the tie rod clamp and the sway bar link bracket. Just replaced to tie rod this weekend. This took care of another clunk as they caught up and released.

However, sitting in driveway adjusting new steering stabilizer mount following the repair, the loudest “bang” was still there. It’s intermittent and inconsistent. Only happens when at low speeds while turning. When turning the wheels while stopped, it is louder and harsher.

3. Everything is torqued and tight. No real play in drag link or track bar. Slight vertical play in ball joints.
4. Today, for first time, I clearly see fluid hanging to bottom of steering box/pitman arm.
5. Pitman arm is tight with no play.
6. Sound does not happen when front is up on jack stands. Only when resistance/weight on tires.

The only thing I can imagine is the box is bad and the gears are popping inside. Does this happen? What else can I check?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Diagnose steering clank/bang?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Let most air out of front tires and have someone turn steering wheel lock to lock while you are under if. Hopefully that will load up the steering box if that’s the problem. If it is, good excuse to upgrade steering box
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a hard time thinking the box is the noise. You said there is no play in the steering . Please look up a steering box online and see how it works. Unless the sector shaft broke a tooth , which I would doubt , Im not putting my money on the box. You said ball joints move. Thats where Id look. Randy said let air outta your tires. go down to at least 10 psi in your drive way and turn the wheel to replicate the sound. Have someone turn the wheel and put you hand/fingers/eyes on each of the ball joints. Ill bet one is worst than you think. The last thing you said the trac bar was loose ! I would pull both bolts and look at the holes to see if they are egged out from being loose. Do you get a single clunk this way then only going the other way ? I assume its at least a JK . Check the upper track bar mount to be sure its not cracked to come off the frame. Just suggestions dude. Good luck FjR68
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Appreciate the responses guys. Since the steering box was leaking noticeably, I went ahead and replaced it anyway. Everyone seems in agreement that it wouldn't make the clunk I'm hearing but I might as well eliminate it now. I haven't driven much since replacing the box, but the one time I did take it out I thought I heard a clunk. I'll climb back under it tomorrow and follow Randy's suggestion. I just can't see or feel any movement anywhere when I hear it. Perhaps tomorrow will be different. If I still can't find it I might go ahead and replace the track bar and drag link over the next month. It's all still stock and with 11 years and 105000 miles it wouldn't hurt to replace it. I'll keep you posted.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Another issue I had was the track bar mount on the frame bolt hole was elongated and allowed some movement and banging when articulating. You could never get it tight enough because the force there was so strong. The fix for me for that was getting a brace and welding the nut to it so it can’t budge.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this but I thought I’d fill you all in on the final verdict.

Track bar.

I evidently had multiple clanks going on between the tie rod and the track bar. Tie rod took care of some. Retorquing took care of others. Finally ordered and installed the new track bar. All clanks now gone. Later took it for an alignment after all that I replaced and he now drives like a dream.

Now to bang my skid plates back into alignment and reinstall and I’ll be good to go!
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I also have a wierd clank, typically when I'm turning and off angle (Like turning into a driveway that has a steep lip). I'll have to take a look at the Trackbar/Balljoints...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

BlackKnight wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 pm I also have a wierd clank, typically when I'm turning and off angle (Like turning into a driveway that has a steep lip). I'll have to take a look at the Trackbar/Balljoints...
Turning into my driveway was one of the few times it was 100% guaranteed to clunk.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Jonny09 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
BlackKnight wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 pm I also have a wierd clank, typically when I'm turning and off angle (Like turning into a driveway that has a steep lip). I'll have to take a look at the Trackbar/Balljoints...
Turning into my driveway was one of the few times it was 100% guaranteed to clunk.
It's typically only when the Passenger is high and the driver is low, turning right. It all started around the time I put in the Trackbar Quick Disconnects. but does not look to be associated with them.'

'I do have 35"s and it's still on the original Ball Joints and steering joints (109K miles so far).
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars