Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Need help diagnosing steering problem

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

The stock drag link uses a double threaded adjustment collar, with a clamp around it to lock in place (not jam nuts) and held by two bolts. I recall that adjustment slipping on me, quite a few times until I upgraded it.

Also, the stock tie rod will bend if given half a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
gwk
BSJ Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by gwk »

Looking for shop recommendations. The issue: I now have a death wobble problem. At ~30mph any little bump sets it off (doesn't happen when going 45mph or faster as far as I can tell, but it's reliably reproducible going slow).

Over the last several days I replaced the tie rod + steering stabilizer and drag link. Everything is torqued down, and aligned as well as I can with a tape measure. Off the ground and yanking on them there's no play in the wheels. Trackbar frame mount looks fine. All 3 linkages are Metalcloak chromoly bars, so I don't think it's likely that the trackbar is bent, which is the one component that's not brand new.

The first time it happened was a month ago, but I've hardly driven it since and the low-speed trigger means I could have just missed it. In any case, it certainly wasn't fixed by my repairs; it may be getting worse or I may even have made it worse. Whatever the problem is, it's officially beyond my abilities. Jeep dealer says they can't handle the big tires for alignment and balancing (remaining low-hanging fruit). I don't even know what the options are if alignment and balancing doesn't work. Any mechanic is going to have to troubleshoot.

Suggestions please (both mechanics and troubleshooting options)!
Derek
BSJ Member

Unread post by Derek »

Fahey's Tire Center in Wakefield fixed the lose steering in my JL when the dealer refused to even acknowledge that it was a problem. But not as complex as yours...

Fahey's Tire Center
28 New Salem St
Wakefield, MA 01880
(781) 245-2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

If you are willing to go to Southern NH, Ratchets Offroad in Auburn, NH one shop I would highly recommend.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

You have a decent steering stabilizer? I know it’s just a “bandaid” but will prevent it while working the bugs out. When I had my death wobble I eventually found a little slop in the steering box which appeared to be my problem.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
gwk

Unread post by gwk »

I just put on a brand new Metalcloak tie rod + steering stabilizer, which as an added bonus is now mounted up and out of the way so hopefully won't get as beat up as the old one. It didn't make anything better. If anything I wonder if the old stabilizer - which was badly enough crunched up that I could not extend or retract manually once I took it off! - was holding the problem in check by being "extra stiff", whereas the new one actually allows more free movement :-(.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Have you taken care of the recall relating to the front trackbar bracket?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
gwk

Unread post by gwk »

I wasn't in the bracket recall population (it's not on my list - there was a CAN bus one and a steering stabilizer one, but not the bad frame weld one)
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Grant, have you fixed your DW problem yet? I have similar setup with Metalcloak GameChanger 2.5” and recently replaced my stock steering linkage with MC drag link, tie rod an steering stabilizer relo. While I do not currently have death wobble, I did shortly after the stabilizer relo. Turned out I neglected to locktite the track bar and relo bracket bolts which came lose. Tightened them up and fixed that problem.

Also noticed increased bump steer with MC damper over recalled OEM damper Swapped them back which has helped.

So many complaints of DW on JL forums.
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top
gwk

Unread post by gwk »

Funny story: I installed the MC components (tie rod + drag link, the trackbar came with the lift) and aligned it best I could, but to no avail. I took it to Offroad Elements, who thought they fixed it by torqueing everything down (I hadn't gotten the pitman arm end of the drag link tight enough) and fine-tuning the alignment. But it came back with a vengeance on Saturday after the class vi run. Just as you say, track bar bolt had loosened in the axle mount. It was driveable after I tightened it as much as I could with an adjustable wrench on the road (and then some more with my leg on the wrench back at F&F).

I agree that the MC stabilizer seems... too soft maybe? Unfortunately my old one is beat to death - when I took it off I couldn't extend or retract it manually, so I can't just swap it back in.

After discussing with Eric at Offroad Elements, I'd planned (over the next couple of days) to pull out the trackbar and check to make sure the frame and axle mount hadn't been reamed out by the repeated wobble episodes, then torque everything back down. I think I have some blue loctite somewhere, I'll make sure to use that too.

I hope to have it up and running with confidence for the run Saturday - it's really unnerving to be worried every time I hit a bump.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

It’s nearly impossible to torque the drag brace bolt enough, the frame side hole on mine elongated a bit so there was always some slop. I ended up getting a brace and welding the nut to it. It’s not budging now. Mine didn’t cause death wobble, it caused the steering wheel to be off center one way or another after a wheeling trip or a bunch of driving
Attachments
6113B683-8DE0-4986-8645-BB5526B5F54C.jpeg
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
mikepa
BSJ Member

Unread post by mikepa »

Too funny. Same bolt.

And when I got under my rig Sunday morning morning after noticing my steering was off from straight a couple degrees post cookout run, I found my MC drag link nuts loose. Oops....

Straightened the wheel then tightened everything back up with vigor.
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2.5" MC GameChanger, 37" Toyo MTs,
MC skids/rock rails, PowerTank CO2 air, front trail camera
and one wicked cool, push button retractable soft top