PSA: Wheel locks (locking lug nuts)

WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

PSA: Wheel locks (locking lug nuts)

Unread post by WeekendWrangler »

(Note: There's some backstory here, maybe I'll save it for the newsletter.)

Please don't buy and use locking lug nuts. They either offer zero little to no security, or at best they are a liability that may cost you or someone else serious time and aggravation down the road. Lug nuts can get seized and when it comes time to take these off, even the special key can sometimes strip leaving you F---ED. And it's only a matter of time until the key is misplaced or left behind when needed most.

I finally took these off today with a $7 socket, in about 15 seconds.

(In case it's not obvious, that is NOT a hex head lug nut, it's a gorilla wheel lock that has been hammered into a 22mm deep impact socket, right over the recessed spline pattern.)
Attachments
IMG_20200731_131521.jpg
Last edited by WeekendWrangler on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2013 JK 3.6L, 4.56 gears, double locked, 2.5" lift.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: PSA: Do not use wheel locks!

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

How are they zero security or a liability?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Re: PSA: Do not use wheel locks!

Ok, that was very subjective and opinionated I'll admit (who isn't?).

Some people may need all the security they can get, and I know others spend considerably more on wheels than I have. There are much more secure locks as well. And perhaps others are much more disciplined in their lug nut key tracking.

So, a personal choice, fine... but I wanted to show how easy it was to remove these particular locks. When I bought them I assumed they were invulnerable. HA!

I guess the lesson is: think carefully if they are really necessary, because they can screw you. Pick carefully, because effectiveness varies from one extreme to the other. I'm glad I picked ones which are easily extracted without keys :-D
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: PSA: Wheel locks (locking lug nuts)

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

whatever choice "you" make for security of wheels, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE KEY ON THE TRAIL WITH YOU. Even if you are sure you put it back in your glove box after you used it last, check it again before you leave the house.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
WeekendWrangler
BSJ Member

Yes, the most important lesson of all!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I actually have two (2) tapered sockets designed to do exactly what you described . They are splined internally and you drive which ever one is closer to fitting. If they sell them without any special requirements , to anybody ! How secure are your wheels . I bought mine at Town Fair Tire . Its what they use when you dont have your lock. So you werent far off . FjR68
Axeman
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by Axeman »

I have some similar locking lugs. My TJ is garaged and I take the wheels off regularly and use anti-seize. I'm not worried about them getting stuck on seized. I don't really leave it anywhere I shouldn't, I guess I just got the locks because I was getting all new lug nuts with the new wheels anyway. The funny part is that I keep the locking lug tool in the glovebox at all times, which I don't lock, nor do I keep a top or doors on Jeep. Not much of a security measure.
Bought the Rubicon this time!