At a Quandary, Next Project...

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: At a Quandary, Next Project...

Unread post by Frank »

Bob : Griffin is just one company. They have radiators for both auto and stick. The only difference might be , Mine mounts by side flanges to the support so the tanks are top and bottom . A replacement for yours probably have the tanks on the sides. Best part is it has extra capacity so it should help in all kinds of weather FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Griffin only has one for the Manual Trans (does not have the mounting bosses for the Auto Trans Cooler). I'm focused on the AFE one. I have the AFE Exhaust and getting the AFE Intake. they are a good company (from everything I've seen/read). I've been hearing bad things about Mishimoto lately. They used to be a great company back when I was tuning my Scion and Toyota way back when. but not so much anymore...

The AFE is 75% thicker with 25% more capacity than stock. so much higher performance, and it's all-aluminum, rather than the plastic tanked OEM models. Then with the waterless coolant that i'm looking at running increases performance (lowering Temp) but as it does not boil, there is no steam, no preasure build up, also no corrosiveness like norman Antifreeze...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Are you asking permission , just get it and stop wasting money with another stock POS. You wont regret it . FjR68
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Just so you know your check engine light will be coming on for to low of temperature or not coming to temperature fast enough if you do this.

Your jeep is no different than the other million on the road. If your radiator/antifreeze is boiling you have other problems that need to be addressed.

You are trying to reinvent the wheel for no reason. But each there own.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Is it boiling and over pressuring, coming out through the cap or do you just hear it bubbling in the overflow tank?
Chrome? Never heard of it.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm Just so you know your check engine light will be coming on for to low of temperature or not coming to temperature fast enough if you do this.

Your jeep is no different than the other million on the road. If your radiator/antifreeze is boiling you have other problems that need to be addressed.

You are trying to reinvent the wheel for no reason. But each there own.
With Evans, the temps stay the same. the difference is no water, so no boil and no steam. will still come up to operating temps. The extra cooling from the radiator shouldn't drop it that much to cause a CEL...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

JeepAddict wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:05 pm Is it boiling and over pressuring, coming out through the cap or do you just hear it bubbling in the overflow tank?
In both cases, the OEM has formed a micro crack/pinhole leaks along the seam on the passenger side. Verifying it with others that have had some of the same issues, in every case, it's the passenger side along that seam that forms a leak. Bad design in the OEM, most definitely. So I could go back with an OEM and switch to Evans, as it's a Low-pressure system, there should be no pressure-related breaks/leaks. But my thoughts are that an All aluminum would be that much better of an improvement.
--
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Bob When you say things like BOIL & STEAM it points to having a way bigger problem . Youve answered everyone with the same vague response. Im gonna shut up now and let you waist more money . FjR68