Bear Hunt

Anything NOT jeep related goes here!
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Bear Hunt

Unread post by Frank »

Update : It looks to be over for my trip to New Brunswick for my first evah Bear Hunt. They have closed the boarder now to recreational travel. Sent my favorite rifle to Winchester in Missouri for a couple upgrades , just notified its done and being shipped home ! Just in time for ----- Nuttin ! Suks dudes and dudettes ! Back to Venison Chilli I guess , for pot luck . Bummah ! FjR68
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Bear Hunt

Unread post by RandyCarol »

That sucks dude, I know how much you were looking forward to it
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Sorry to hear it happened Frank, I was looking forward to hearing about your great recipies for bear and hopefully getting to try some. This is temporary for sure and it will happen again, so lets look forward to the next one!
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Until you hear from the outfit that runs this I would not assume its canceled. When was this trip supposed to happen? I thought it was the summer or fall? Hang in there Frank! Who knows what will happen in the next month or so? I sure as hell don't! :lol: :lol: :doh:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Frank: even though I am not a hunter, during my Jeep safari through the North Maine Woods, I realized I was in bear hunting heaven. After I completed my objectives each day of things I wanted to explore, I would pull out the map and pick something interesting to investigate. One day, I decided to try to find an old abandoned rail line that had been completely ripped out and removed. After a lot of searching, I found it! A perfectly straight path through the woods, and just a few spare pieces of rail dumped in the trees. I was enjoying my solo hike, with my backpack full of survival gear and food, when I saw THIS:

And I decided "Well, that's the END of this hike. Gotta get the hell back to the Jeep!"

Later on my trek, I actually found Loon Lodge (who placed the bait) by following a few signs nailed up next to the roads. Very cool place! I think you'd love it. Reachable only by 4x4 or snowmobile after a LONG rough ride.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Thanks Guys . Yes Im bummed . I got into this group hunt by chance that one dude is having surgery. I was there when he backed out and was asked , called home an told my lovely bride --- I need a passport ! They had originally closed the boarder to flights, then this week recreational was included. A glimmer of hope is from what Ive heard on TV yesterday is, They are no longer looking at new cases , they are now measuring "The doubling Effect" to see how we come pair to China and Italy . Im guessin that important. Wife says it will tell us If we will be ahead of it or not in comparison . The first full week of MAY my gives them guys about 6 weeks ? To do their magic . Washed my hands so many time , I think Ive come across an 8th grade cheat sheet on my left hand . My gun went back to Winchesters gun smith for a couple upgrades .
1. I had them adjust the head space to only shoot MY reloads.
2. They dont produce the round I wanted for the zero distance I wanted
3. The new trigger assembly has no over travel ! Right out of their 1100 dollar Model 70---- YES !
4. Last is I upgraded to a "Vortex Crossover" 3x9x40 with parallax option .
Let just say , I cant wait to try this thing . Should be under 1" at 200 yrds. all day .
If your lookin , Winchester XPR series right outta the box does that at 100 yrds.
WASH YOUR HANDS AND DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE !
FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Frank wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am Washed my hands so many time , I think Ive come across an 8th grade cheat sheet on my left hand .
:lol:
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

All the speculation is history . The guide called yesterday to confirm that the whole season has been canceled . Where he and his property is they have no cases but west of him Quebec and Montreal are as hammered as us. The Crown shut everything down. We are going to discuss our deposit return or just book it for next year and get this years pricing . Bummah ! So glad the deer gods smiled on me a while back . The freezah be doin fine ! FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Sorry to hear it Frank, but hey at least you might still be in for next year and can get some time with that nicely refit rifle before hand. Glad your freezer is going well, sounds like youll be having a lot of recipes to share soon.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by IronTortoise »

Hey Frank,

Believe it or not I have actually stayed at Loon Lodge a couple of times for grouse hunting. A great place. They do moose and bear hunting. If you were to ever go and see the owner Ray Cooley you will have to ask him about the "full sized lepracaun", a Friend of mine.
MattJ wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm Frank: even though I am not a hunter, during my Jeep safari through the North Maine Woods, I realized I was in bear hunting heaven. After I completed my objectives each day of things I wanted to explore, I would pull out the map and pick something interesting to investigate. One day, I decided to try to find an old abandoned rail line that had been completely ripped out and removed. After a lot of searching, I found it! A perfectly straight path through the woods, and just a few spare pieces of rail dumped in the trees. I was enjoying my solo hike, with my backpack full of survival gear and food, when I saw THIS:

And I decided "Well, that's the END of this hike. Gotta get the hell back to the Jeep!"

Later on my trek, I actually found Loon Lodge (who placed the bait) by following a few signs nailed up next to the roads. Very cool place! I think you'd love it. Reachable only by 4x4 or snowmobile after a LONG rough ride.

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Noice Dave ! I hear their magically delicious . I would have been leaving tomorrow morning at 10 am to get there before dark . 8 hrs 31 min . 547 miles to camp. All for not . Im bummed ! Time to wheel !! FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Well, since we're all stuck at home I figured I'd upload some more photos of Loon Lodge and Ray. Fun for us to dream about all of our adventures past and future to distract us from the mess of the present! As I looked at these photos again for the first time in months, I had two thoughts:

1) Boy, I bet the bears are LOVING that so many hunting trips got canceled. I was on a solo hike in New Hampshire yesterday and walked right up on top of a moose bigger than a horse. Ten minutes later I met a huge porcupine shuffling along. The animals all seem to know us humans are spending more time at home!

2) How great would it be to ride out this pandemic at Loon Lodge? Would be awesome to swim, boat and fish on the lake all summer, hike and hunt in the fall, and do snowmobile treks and ice fishing in the winter. The only issue would be that Ray's wife is such a good cook I'd probably put on 25 pounds.

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Today Im totally bummed knowing that this afternoon 2pmish id be in the stand on my first evah guided bear hunt. But the guide called yesterday to confirm the 5 of us on 2600 acres have left our deposits there and will be in camp May 9th 2021 . My moms Birthday ! That a good luck charm or what. We will still be the first group out that year and he locked us in with this years cost. Now I just have to wait another year . Oh wait ----- Im a Vikings fan! Im used to waiting !!!!!!! FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

One more year....your a vikings fan, theres been a long wait already youll be fine. Also great news that they got you all setup for next year with the same price and all that jazz. Heres to getting your tag limit and all in large size.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Looks like you guys are stuck with Venison Chilly at the close of the season FjR68