battery questions

Stewartcloth6
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

battery questions

Unread post by Stewartcloth6 »

so my battery is on its last legs, was looking into a replacement, heard some things about the optimas not being as good as they once were, can anyone speak on this who's run them? any recommendations?
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: battery questions

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I have a few that are old and a couple that are new. Never a problem a lot of what you read is operator error. When they get low there is a whole different process to charge them. Most think there dead. That is how I actually got one of mine. Odyssey batteries are also good, one of Sears platinum batteries is a agm Odyssey cheaper price too. But I dont remember which one.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Stewartcloth6
BSJ Member

fur sure thanks for the insight, I think ima go with the odyssey
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Bosch AGM batteries carry a 4 year replacement and are readily available at auto parts stores. Champion also carries and AGM for a bit cheaper, but also a decent warranty.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large

Unread post by KenCal »

Just replaced my battery in my 2012 JK. These jeeps use a lot of juice. After researching, Optima red top is not a good choice. Painful as it may be get yourself an good AGM battery such as Northstar, Odyssey or similar. My 2 cents. ;)
Cannoli
BSJ BOD Treasurer
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Cannoli »

I've been using the Optima Red for the last 20 months and have had zero issues. Only paid $166 with discounts from Advance Auto Parts which was substantially cheaper than the Odyssey so it I figured it was worth trying. So far, no complaints. Whichever battery you go with, be sure to check the date code. The warranty goes by the date code, not date of purchase. The first battery they were going to give me was almost 1 yr old. I refused that one and got one that was 3 months old.
Stewartcloth6
BSJ Member

thats some good insight, would never have thought to check the date code. thanks for the advice, I have a friend who works at a batteries plus bulbs and he in his truck is running the X2power premium AGM battery and says he can get me a deal for one at around 170, has anyone used these or had experience with them? if not I'm probably gonna go with the odyssey
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

If Optima and you have winch and what not you would not use a red top not its purpose. Yellow top. That's how batteries get killed and get bad raps they are used in wrong applications.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Ive had two Optimas . A red that lasted 8 yrs including winching , Now a yellow and on my 3 rd year. No issues with them. There are two different size reds , and Id personally stay away from them and the blue ones . FjR68
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Sorry to resurrect this thread from a year ago, but now that my Jeep has not been daily driven, I've noticed that the battery is not holding a charge overnight and needs a replacement

I've been thinking either the Oddessey or the Optima, after reading above I hear good and rumored bad about both. Any new opinions since this discussion?
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Well, after some research, the new Optima Yellow top H6 is now installed in the jeep...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

BlackKnight wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm Well, after some research, the new Optima Yellow top H6 is now installed in the jeep...
I see why you picked the yellow top, but if you are winching, would a blue top be a good choice?

I have 2 blue tops that I use with my boat trolling motors. They are about 10 years old and have limited capacity at this point.

I have the bosch AGM batteries in my other cars, they seem to be be pretty rock solid.

Chris
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Chris , as a trolling motor battery they are good. What type of charger do you have. If it dont have a setting for spiral cell pulse it cant charge it correctly or fully. Optimas , AGM , Glassmatt . All require a different type of charger. The yellow top will discharge quicker than a blue top , therefore its better for winching. We burn out more winches not feeding them enough current , AMPS not Volts. That why in catalogs the have up to 250 amp alternators , just for this purpose . Not that you cant use a blue top just saying youd have to drive for two days to replenish it with a stock alt. Yes Jeeps cost money ! FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I just put a Champion AGM battery in my jeep this year. Got it with my employee discount and $40 mail in rebate on top. Ended up costing only $120. If it doesn't pan out like it should, i've not lost much.

Prior to that, the i bought the jeep in 2012 with 70k and it had a red top optima, i just pulled it out and i think it still has life. charged it up with a simple napa charger/maintainer and it hasn't lost any charge just sitting on the floor.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large

Unread post by KenCal »

Northstar or Odyssey or any good AGM is a better choice. As was said the JK uses a lot of juice and add to that a winch requires a good AGM. A while back I asked a Optima rep at a fishing show if the Optima Blue Tops would be a better choice for my bass boat considering they weight half as much as my AGM's. My boat requires three 27 group batteries each are 75lbs. The rep told me no that the Blue Tops would not be able handle the load. Because the spirals in their batteries lessens their capacity. I've had many boats since 1979 and been fishing bass tournaments since 1984 and in that time I have learned a little about what works and what doesn't. Just my 2cts. :)