Gas tank skid

Jonny09
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2009
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Gas tank skid

Unread post by Jonny09 »

So I've owned my 09 Sahara JKU for 2 months. After dropping my muffler this past weekend I've spent a fair amount of time under the Jeep this week. Discovered what an Evaporator Canister is and moved it to a safer location. Scraped, repaired, and repaired a fair amount of rust. And am now preparing to install the new muffler and midpipe tomorrow. But in the process I learned that my stock fuel tank skid is in pretty bad shape and needs TLC. There ARE rot holes in it. Not just rust, rot. All along I was planning on throwing on a new skid "when I got around to it. Well wheeling last weekend opened up those holes and knocked off a lot of rust. It's moved up the list to "I really need to do something now, before I go out again."

As I see it, here are my options:
  • Drop the OEM skid, repair it, purchase a real skid, and install them both.
  • Drop the OEM skid, replace it with new($600!), purchase a real skid, and install them both.
  • Drop the OEM skid, replace it with a used skid (if I can find one), purchase a real skid, and install them both.
  • Pretend I never saw it, purchase a real skid, and install it over the shot OEM skid.
Any suggestions?
Any other options I'm missing?
I think the original skid is still structurally sound, it's just not offering enough protection for wheeling. I'm leaning toward the top choice b/c $$ is an issue. However, if someone knows where to pick up a used OEM skid off a wreck for cheap, I'd be all over that.

I guess another option is to replace OEM with used or new and just leave it till later. Gas tank skid don't really seem to be a priority for most.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Gas tank skid

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have a Hard Rock Gas tank skid I offered to someone else. if they pass I will offer it to you at the same price. Most of the gas tank skids have you put the new aftermarket skid over the old one so if you have lost more than a gallon of capacity you should consider repairing it. I would NOT repurchase the OEM skid at any cost with a new OEM one as they tend to be junk after even light wheeling. Also, stay away from Aluminum skids.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

If you want inexpensive I would just clean it up best as possible (in place) and cover it with a real skid. There are some replacement skids that eliminate the factory skid, think Clayton makes one, but I’m sure it’s not an economical choice.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I may be wrong but I would think if you sandwich to pieces of metal together they trap moisture and dirt/salt if daily in New England and rot out even faster.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 pm I may be wrong but I would think if you sandwich to pieces of metal together they trap moisture and dirt/salt if daily in New England and rot out even faster.
You are correct but that’s how most of the aftermarket skids are designed for the JK. I guess they assume you will never see the stock one again.
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

RandyCarol wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm
MDSRACING398 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 pm I may be wrong but I would think if you sandwich to pieces of metal together they trap moisture and dirt/salt if daily in New England and rot out even faster.
You are correct but that’s how most of the aftermarket skids are designed for the JK. I guess they assume you will never see the stock one again.
Yeah, I was surprised to see that just about all skid plates are designed to go over the factory skid. I think dropping mine and doing the best I can to restore it, then cover it with a stronger skid is the best option.
Thanks for all the replies.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Although a bit more involved, before I put my gas tank skid plate on my '08, i dropped the factory one, prepped and welded plates over the rotted areas, gave it 2 coats of self etching primer and 2 heavy ( brushed on) coats of rustoleum professional enamel. Seemed to work well.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

First off Im not an expert on these new Jeeps. For the life of me am I reading aftermarket skids go over the stock skid ? Not just replace it ???? Why would you even do that . In a new Jeep does the skid hold the tank up or is it bolted separately ? In the world of rot if you have it , you have to cut it out to stop it. You cant just cover it and expect it to go away. I personally would scrap the stock one in favor of aftermarket . To say its not high on anyones list is totally wrong. The more people own 4 door Jeeps , the more they need it. JKU ? Is that a long one or just a 4 door model ? Ask people with the same Kinda jeep . See what they have to say . Coming from a guy with no gas tank under the Jeep . FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I opted for a skid that is mounted on top of the old one. When I did it there was no rot. I'm absolutely sure there's plenty of rot now, though, especially since water and mud gets trapped between the layers. At the time I figured it was easier (it was) and it would be double-protection (it basically is). When I do eventually replace it, I'll need to remove both skids and go with a single aftermarket skid. With that said, it's lasted me a good 6 years so far and it's still holding up. I don't regret doing it. By the time I replace it, I would have needed to replace it regardless of what I installed. The gas tank is plastic, so it's not like the skid rot is going to rot the plastic tank.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Cannoli
BSJ BOD Treasurer
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Cannoli »

Frank wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:10 am In a new Jeep does the skid hold the tank up or is it bolted separately ?
The gas tank skid does hold up the gas tank. If you are completely removing the gas tank skid, wait until the tank is almost empty. You will also have to strap the tank to hold it in place before completely removing the skid.
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

So I spent the morning under the Jeep reinstalling the evap canister in its new location and getting ready to hang the muffler. I checked out the gas tank skid more closely and MAN, is it in BAD shape. Not salvageable. Most of the mounts are rusted off or nearly so. Anyone know where to pick up a good used one (ie salvage yard)? Otherwise I'll likely just bolt an aftermarket skid right over it. I don't want to pay $550 for a New mopar one and then still need to cover it with something stronger. Not the best design by Jeep IMHO.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Best bet would be to call a salvage yard. If it’s that bad I wouldn’t wheel it until it’s addressed, the skid also acts as the tanks mount. If it’s in rough shape from wheeling you’ll never get an aftermarket skid to even go over it. I’d go with the aftermarket replacement skid before going with new factory skid + aftermarket regular skid.
Jonny09

Unread post by Jonny09 »

Can't tell you how many junk yards I called. Only found two skids. One in New Hampshire, wanted $250 and rated Grade C, which didn't sound promising, and one in RI. One in RI has some rust, a real small amount of rot (in one location) but the rest looks real solid. Only asked $150. It'll take some clean up and rust work, but light years better than mine. I'll keep you posted as I go through this project.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

It's an ass ache to drop the tank. I found using ratchet straps under the tank, between the tank and skid works very well. If you get jammed up , shoot me a message. you can swap a factory tank skid plate in about an hour or so.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

Since I started wheeling (like 2 years ago), I drop the skid plate during the winter, clean it up, paint it and put it back in. With a JKU, I use 2 one inch ratchet straps and it's easy enough. This year, I got a Rubicon Express skid. Since all the skids require a couple hole get drilled in the back and they all warn not to drill into the gas tank, I removed the factory skid, put the RE skid under it, drilled the holes, put in the bolts then put the whole thing back in. Yah, it'll get water and mud in between. But it works. I imagine a skid with no pan would work. There are enough mounting bolts to hold it in. <shrug>