Lisah311
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Handheld 2-ways

Unread post by Lisah311 »

Hey Jason,
Welcome to the club!
Will you be at the Spring Meeting (you should have received an evite)? If so, a few people have the software to program your radio, so bring it to the meeting.
2005 Rubicon
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The club had a mess of radios programmed when they purchased them as bulk. They will match up to what is called Baystate Channel one (1) will be your radio number 5. Its no big deal . What you as an owner should learn is how to operate the radio . Its not hard . Basic how to turn in on and off . How to make it scan and how to select a specific channel. Once you have that , you can find anyone transmitting by scanning and locking on . FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

...and also make yourself familiar with FCC laws. It is easy to break those laws with this radio. Make sure you are at least in compliance with power settings (keep it on low) and consider getting a license to operate it. The fact that it is capable of transmitting on regulated frequencies at power settings above legal limits places this radio in another category. Each club member is responsible for his or her own actions.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I don't know if this is 100% accurate but as I understand it there were some changes made to the "new post-ban" Baofeng radios. I was told the new ones do not have the "illegal frequencies" available and are a lower power output. Barrett fab still has some of the original style radios that can be had for a donation as they can no longer be sold. ;)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

The club is working on a solution so we can put the legal/illegal radio to rest. Will update when it is in place.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

Hoodoo Man wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 pm I don't know if this is 100% accurate but as I understand it there were some changes made to the "new post-ban" Baofeng radios. I was told the new ones do not have the "illegal frequencies" available and are a lower power output. Barrett fab still has some of the original style radios that can be had for a donation as they can no longer be sold. ;)
I know they made some minor change to the radio in order to keep selling it. Both the rules and equipment are murky and that's why I said members should just worry about it themselves. If you're nervous, by a bubble pack radio from Walmart. If you're aware of the frequencies you're using and the power settings you're using then you likely won't attract attention to yourself no matter what you're using. Of course many will say illegal is illegal. Again, buy a bubble pack radio. You can also go for a technician's license for practically nothing and be able to legally use this radio in any of its incarnations. Maybe we should get a group together from the club and all take the test together. I think they have study groups. I took the practice test a few years ago and found I would be able to pass, but most people would need to study. My background in broadcasting and electrical engineering certainly was helpful. I just didn't have the time to go do it. If anyone else is interested, maybe we can motivate each other and get it done.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I'd be up for that
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

HIGH/LOW power is most of the reason for the squawking . Keep it on low and being were in the woods . Most likely you wont bleed over to a sky high antenna in the area. We all know that they (FCC) cant do jack about it as those radios were pre-complaint. Set it and forget it . Go Low ! FjR68
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

Marky wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Hoodoo Man wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 pm I don't know if this is 100% accurate but as I understand it there were some changes made to the "new post-ban" Baofeng radios. I was told the new ones do not have the "illegal frequencies" available and are a lower power output. Barrett fab still has some of the original style radios that can be had for a donation as they can no longer be sold. ;)
I know they made some minor change to the radio in order to keep selling it. Both the rules and equipment are murky and that's why I said members should just worry about it themselves. If you're nervous, by a bubble pack radio from Walmart. If you're aware of the frequencies you're using and the power settings you're using then you likely won't attract attention to yourself no matter what you're using. Of course many will say illegal is illegal. Again, buy a bubble pack radio. You can also go for a technician's license for practically nothing and be able to legally use this radio in any of its incarnations. Maybe we should get a group together from the club and all take the test together. I think they have study groups. I took the practice test a few years ago and found I would be able to pass, but most people would need to study. My background in broadcasting and electrical engineering certainly was helpful. I just didn't have the time to go do it. If anyone else is interested, maybe we can motivate each other and get it done.
I've got a buddy that's pretty heavy into HAM radio, I asked him if he'd be interested in giving us a crash course. If there's interest, he said he'd put something together. Might not be for a little bit, but it's something to consider.

EDIT: He also pointed us at his rally site for more license info: https://w1rly.org/category/amateur-radio/licensing/
-- Hank
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Thanks Hank. Interesting link.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com