has anyone dropped a lunchbox locker in a JKU?

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

has anyone dropped a lunchbox locker in a JKU?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I'd like to lock the rear of my JKU but don't have the coin for a ARB which would be my first choice.

Has anyone dropped a lunchbox locker in a JKU rear? Wondering how well it plays with the ABS sensors and such and how it might effect road manners.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: has anyone dropped a lunchbox locker in a JKU?

Unread post by Hank »

I put an aussie in the front of my brother's '10. It drove fine, just a little hairy in the snow (in 4wd) and the constant clicking (around corners)
Quick job, easy enough to do, and later undo if you don't care for it.
TMK he never had any issues with ABS (but again, that was front, not rear)

EDIT:

Did a little digging: apparently if you've got a 2012 or newer Auto, you're SOL on a mechanical locker. It'll give you a ton of ESC problems, and switch to limp home mode pretty quickly.

Post on another forum yielded this from Aussie:
This is Cora from Aussie Locker.

The 2012 and newer Automatic transmission JK's can't run our Rear Locker XD-14480, but they can run a front JK Dana 30 locker XD-13227.

Manual transmissions can run both front and rear Aussie Lockers, for any year.
and this from Yukon:
"In 2012 and newer jeep JK's with automatic transmissions any mechanical locker will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode as soon as you turn your 1st turn. This is due to the vehicle computer using the wheel speed sensors for traction control. we spoke to AEV last week and there is no programmer available to override this issue. you can however install our zip locker and use it in 4wd only. this works because when the vehicle is in 4wd the computer does not use the wheel speed sensors for traction control. From what we have gathered its only models with automatic transmissions. unfortunately there is no info available from the manufacture on these issues."
and this from Dynatrac:
We have lots of experience with lockers, so I thought I would add some info here.

I am not familiar with the Aussie Locker, but there are other diff choices you can consider. First of all, you need a selectable locker in a JK axle. The ESC (Electronic Stability Control) system does not work well with automatic lockers, like the Detroit, and other ltd-slip devices.

The ESC in the 2012 & newer JK’s is more sensitive than prior year models. It cannot be turned off, switched off, or eliminated. You will not defeat it without disabling the vehicle so the auto trans won’t shift, putting it in limp mode, or limit driving to low-range 4x4 only.

I have a 2013 JK with a Detroit locker. The device works excellent off road, but you WILL get lots of ESC events, and limp mode. Any automatic (non-selectable) device will kick the car into limp mode. In the 2011 and earlier models without a selectable locker, you will need to remember to hit the ESC button EVERY time you start the car. Trust me, you will forget, and find yourself in limp mode frequently. This trick does not help in the 2012 & newer JK’s.

The other selectable locker choices are the Eaton E-locker, and the OX Locker. I do not recommend ANY of the imported Chinese knockoff diff’s that are advertised. You get what you pay for, and even less on imported knockoff products.

Eaton just released a new and improved E-locker for the 44’s. E-Lockers use electric actuation. Can’t vouch for it yet, but looks very promising. The previous E-lockers had 2 spider gears, and we felt our customers needed more. Therefore we have not recommended them in the past. Dynatrac seriously stands behind our warranty, and advocates for our customers. We do not want to get stuck in the middle of a diff warranty dispute, and will only work with partners that take their warranties as serious as we do. The Dana 60 version of the E-locker is still the 2-spider gear design.

The OX device is very strong and easily rivals the ARB durability. It is made in USA, whereas the ARB is not. It can be had with electric actuation. We are getting good feedback from customers using this device. OX also has versions for our ProRock line of axles. The device includes their special diff cover, since that is where the connection takes place.

We have had very good success with ARB, and also have a good relationship with them. I have never had them decline any of the very few warranty claims through Dynatrac. We have installed thousands of ARB’s.

We are currently looking at new selectable diffs coming on the market. The latest Auburn Gear Ected Max for the Dana 60 looks very encouraging.
So long story short, if you're in a manual: Go nuts. If you're not, don't.
-- Hank
Hoodoo Man

Thanks Hank! Luckily I have a manual. My biggest concern was going into limp mode with the ABS sensors and such. knock on wood with 35s and 3.73 gears I have never gone into limp mode in 120K miles and the last thing I want to deal with is having to pull the lunchbox out while on the side of the road. LOL
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Hank

Unread post by Hank »

Well, on the plus side, if it doesn't work, you'll know the minute you take your first turn... it's not like you'll get very far ;)
Personally, for the rear, I'd save up and get something selectable. Less (possible) computer issues, and no unexpected behavior on the streets.
-- Hank
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I thought at first you were asking if anyone knew how to put it in. WoW , what a buncha BS from the people who know whats best for you. So what year is your ride anyway. Its a simple process to do. Some people take the carrier out to work on a bench but I know you dont have to . Its just removing the spiders and cross pin unless you have limited slip. Then it good to pull it. FjR68
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Easy to install and takes about an hour but.... they suck in the rear axle! Off road in 4 wheel drive they are fine but driving around as a daily they cause a lot of drivability issues. The problem is any throttle input while taking a corner and they lock. In the front this isn’t an issue because there is no power driving the locker when the Jeep isn’t in 4x4 but they click and make sounds when turning hard. If you can deal they work great. In the rear they are a pain! Save some $$$ and go selectable.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

So what did we decide ????????? FjR68
Hoodoo Man

Frank wrote:So what did we decide ????????? FjR68
Oh there is no way I will do a lunch box in the JKU, that was decided ages ago. Im working with Barrette Fab to get a locker put in the JKU before the spring rolls around.... most likely an ARB if I do not sell the POS... ;)
1970 Jeepster- stock
Hank

Unread post by Hank »

Locking front and rear? Or just going rear for now?
-- Hank
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Isnt it best to lock the front best with a selectable ? I thought I read the front with the weight of the engine helps more than the back or something FjR68