New Member- Chris from NASHUA, NH

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Sweet N Low46
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1989
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

New Member- Chris from NASHUA, NH

Unread post by Sweet N Low46 »

Hey All,

I am a new member to the forum and am hoping to become a new member to Baystate Jeepers once membership opens back up.

I have a pacific blue 1989 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) Islander with the carbureted 4.2L I6, Peugeot BA/10 MT, Dana 35 rear axle with a lunchbox locker and Dana 30 front axle sitting on 31” tires. It also has a 2” Rancho lift kit with 3/4 shackles, JKS adjustable front track bar, JKS quick disconnecting sway bar links and a relocated rear track bar. I recently gave the engine a full tune-up and it runs like a champ with 135K on the clock. Elias 4WD in Townsend, MA also just rebuilt the transmission.

I’d like to eventually add a little more lift to fit 33” tires, convert to 4.10 gears instead of the stock 3.07, add a slip yoke eliminator and maybe some beefier axle shafts. My plans are bigger than my budget though.

This is my first Jeep and I definitely understand the whole “Jeep Thing” now that I own and work on one. I have yet to do any serious off-roading yet other than fire access trails and sand pits; hence my wanting to join Baystate!
Attachments
89’ YJ Islander
89’ YJ Islander
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New Member- Chris from NASHUA, NH

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Nice Jeep, looks clean
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

looks great! My only advice would be not to put any more money into the D35. A ford explorer 8.8 can get you disc breaks, 4:10 gears and much stronger axle shafts than the D35 can with the c-clips. The axle will be fine with 31s and light wheeling but even with 33s and moderate wheeling a D35 can break shafts easily. The axle shaft tends to walk out without of the axle unless you get very creative making for a bad day on the trail but an interesting talk at the campfire later in life. I've first hand seen at least 3 D35s fail in ten or so years of wheeling. I've seen someone flog one to within inches of its life for several seasons successfully. It eventually did break though...

Not trying to scare you, just a friendly bit of advice I hope. :bluesbros:
Stolen from the net:
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Hey Chris . Welcome to the forum . You will get a million tidbits of what and whatnot to do to your Jeep. What Jeff said about the Explorer 8.8 differential is the cheapest way around the faulty and wimpy dana 35. First thing is , That machine is way to perfect ! Follow me for a bit. I would say my CJ-5 has 4 leafs (Well did) and the first thing I would do is ditch BOTH track bars. You leaf moves toward the shackle as it flexes , the track bar wont let them bend side to side. Your leafs dont bend that way . You will feel how much better it handles bumps on the road , just wait for the dirt. My Cj is the oldest wheelin rig in the club so I have to say I got a little nervous reading S&N 46 ! Dont be scarin me. See ya at a meeting then on a trail. FjR68