Recommendation for side steps/running boards?

jeepgirl11
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Recommendation for side steps/running boards?

Unread post by jeepgirl11 »

Can anyone recommend any particular side steps? I like the curved tubular style in matte black - I've looked at Red Rock, Smittybuilt and Rugged Ridge. Should I stay away from any of these? And of course, which ones will rust the easiest? :confusion-helpsos:
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Recommendation for side steps/running boards?

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I still have my factory steps; not sure how I haven't ripped them off yet but destroyed my factory bumpers. Be aware that tube ones are slick.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Most of the less expensive ones won’t hold up to a lot of off road abuse. I have the Shrockworks ones and are holding up well to the abuse. If you want one that also doubles as a step the LOD Destroyer is nice, avoid any that has the step hang below the rail. They will just catch on the rocks and get damaged. If you get the powder coated ones and keep the scrapes touched up you can fight off the rust for years.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I've heard the electro-pneumatic ones from Rockslide Engineering have recently been reinforced so they act as sliders and still work as steps. But they are Wicked Expensive. (like $2k+)
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have a set of BodyArmor sliders on my 12, they came off of my 07 and aside from repainting them due to the factory paint coming off,
they have been pretty stout. They have held up to occasional hard wheeling at Rausch Creek and trails my Jeep has no business being on. Strongly recommend them as they only have the occasional ding and dent but otherwise look good.

ImageIMG_1100 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/183258306@N07/]
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

If you're looking for sliders for a 4 door, I've got a pair of ACE Engineering for sale. They worked great, but I went in a different direction.
-- Hank
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Whatever you do, make sure it fits your intended use. I had to learn that lesson the hard way, and a lot of Baystate members were very helpful (as always!) in helping me decide on the right solution the second time around:

http://www.baystatejeepers.com/forum/vi ... f=3&t=5899

:)
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

If you're offroading in places like the watery go around at Gremlin or other places where you want protection, the Smittybilt tubes aren't a good choice. I had these on my JKU the first half year I was starting off with Baystate. I straightened the mounts after every run with a tow strap to a tree. They're dented in a lot. One is visibly bent. I went to the same ones that Matt bought (White knuckle offroad) in the stronger DOM steel and have been happy with them. They have been abused but have protected the side of my rig. They are frame mounted and more work to install, requiring drilling holes compared with body mounted options that bolt to existing body holes. If you want my old Smittybilts, you can have them.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I think what I like most about the Body armor ones is they are bolt on to the frame and I've had my rig pivot off of them and still look good. Uses all existing holes and new grade 8 hardware...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yes - good point! With the right set of sliders, you can definitely use them for pivot maneuvers. It's a good skill to develop, especially if you have a JKU or other longer-wheelbase Jeep. There are plenty of tight turns at Brookridge and other properties.
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If your intention is for protection , They have to include - thick wall tubing , Frame mounting ,with or without body mount additional . No step hanging down. Some are a single bar and some are multi bar. I think the multi bar setup protects more of the body because your not always flat. Make sure they fall into the slider category , rocker protector than just a dress up step. FjR68
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Unread post by JeepAddict »

20180826_174051.jpg
. I cheaped out once.....Lesson learned. Do your homework and buy a good set once.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Even though those are bent to hell , they did their job protecting the body door openings and rockers. Mine are home made and look worse than those. Spray them with undercoat every year and get after it all season. Starting with a strong set allows you protection and having to do it once . FjR68