YJ Brake Question

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

YJ Brake Question

Unread post by Carl McFly »

My new-to-me YJ brakes kinda suck or at least have room for improvement. Pulled the front wheels and found the caliper piston is about half off the pad, and both sides are like this. I was told by several people (trolls?) this is normal but I'm not buying it, I want to hear from people I trust. So - what do you think? Someone maybe bolted on a caliper that 'fit' but not the correct one? Or is this how Jeep did brakes in the late 80's? Heres a shot showing the engagement of the piston to the pad

https://app.box.com/s/epgroym8h1p1awf3vf5ammw0dbb2n14k

(edited with new URL for picture)

Thanks
Last edited by Carl McFly on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: YJ Brake Question

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Picture is not working and 'app.box' seems to need a password... (I have had good luck posting pictures from a free flicker account.) I can tell you that the my JK front brakes sound similar where the piston seems offset from the pad and is not directly over it like (my memory says) a TJ caliper sits.. Have you tried a google image search and does this rig have a D30 front or has that been upgraded?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Thanks Jeff. I edited the link, hopefully the URL works now. Diffs were regeared and the 30 may have alloy axles (the rear does) or hell, it may have been pulled from a CJ! This rig has a steep learning curve. All the TJ and XJ stuff bouncing around in this melon? Pffttttt.... most of it doesn't apply
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Thanks Jeff. I edited the link, hopefully the URL works now. Diffs were regeared and the 30 may have alloy axles (the rear does) or hell, it may have been pulled from a CJ! This rig has a steep learning curve. All the TJ and XJ stuff bouncing around in this melon? Pffttttt.... most of it doesn't apply
nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Yup, that is what mine look like.
By the looks of things you may just wish to replace calibers,rotors and pads as they look oooold and rusted.
Power Stop Z23 Evolution Brake Kits are a good option as they included everything for around $200 and you get upgraded rotors and pads along with new/rebuilt calibers. I picked up a set from autoanything for my XJ was very happy
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

nhdcoye wrote:Yup, that is what mine look like.
By the looks of things you may just wish to replace calibers,rotors and pads as they look oooold and rusted.
Power Stop Z23 Evolution Brake Kits are a good option as they included everything for around $200 and you get upgraded rotors and pads along with new/rebuilt calibers. I picked up a set from autoanything for my XJ was very happy
That’s an impressive price. Through PepBoys, I believe they have the best prices on pads/rotors, I’d get the whole set for around 300-350. Just changed out all of this on my G35 for about that price.

New brakes can never hurt. Be sure to bleed or flush the fluid as that can be a easy fix for weak brakes.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

nhdcoye wrote:Yup, that is what mine look like.
:like:
nhdcoye wrote:Power Stop Z23 Evolution Brake Kits are a good option as they included everything for around $200 and you get upgraded rotors and pads along with new/rebuilt calibers.
:shock: hell yeah!!! Looking into that now, thanks
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

What ISH said !!!!!!!!!!! Before you go and put new to you calipers on this bad Larry. Open the cap , open the bleeders and let it drip into jars or cans till it comes out clean . So the junkie stuff dont go into the new chit .
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I believe CJ7's and early YJ's have the same calipers. The unit bearings are also different from 87-90 to 90+.

I run CJ calipers on my front HP44, but they would also fit an early YJ 30.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005