Reliable transmission shops in Worcester area

Wranglerguy78
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2017
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Reliable transmission shops in Worcester area

Unread post by Wranglerguy78 »

Hi all,

the other Jeep in our family is showing it's age and has what appears to be a failing clutch. we brought it to Pro Transmission and Clutch on Park Avenue and had them take a look and give us an estimate that came to around $830. not too bad but we decided to to wait a few weeks until we had the cash. we took it back early this week, they had it for a couple days and when we called to check its progress we were told that a clutch replacement wasn't necessary at that time and they didn't have a record of anyone looking at it before. kind of an odd experience for a shop to talk you out of work that they recommended just a few weeks earlier. I don't like getting jerked around so we are going to check a couple other shops and I was hoping some other club or forum members would have some suggestions for a good local shop to do the work.

(the other Jeep is a 2008 Rubicon 2-dr with approx 140,000 miles)

thanks, Dan
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Re: Reliable transmission shops in Worcester area

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Dan, try Interstate transmission over in Auburn
Chrome? Never heard of it.
Wranglerguy78
BSJ Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

So Dan , give me some idea of what it does or dont do . What dont you like about the clutch . Depending on the driver and usage , Ive seen failed clutches with 30k miles. 140 is okay depending on driver. My clutch in Mona is 14 yrs of wheeling old and I know its not dead yet. If a shop told me that , I woulda left also ! FjR68
Wranglerguy78
BSJ Member

Hi Frank,

this is my wife's daily driver. she says there's a whistling sound that stops only when she engages the clutch, feels a lot of vibration when shifting and the gears seem to slip a bit, pop out of gear.

hope that helps.
Tortured_Tiger
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by Tortured_Tiger »

Hi Frank. It's me, I'm the wife. Not a member yet, but on the list.

I bought her in mid June, with just over 137,000 miles. I'm almost at 140,000. I'm guessing it's the original clutch. It's not really loud but it whistles, and disappears when I engage to shift only to return when my foots off. There is also a vibration that wasn't there the first couple months, so I know it's not suppose to be(doesn't feel right). SO I made an appointment with Pro Transmission in Worcester. The guy called me back telling me I basically needed a new clutch and quoted me about $830. I had half and told him I'd call when I was able to pay. A few weeks later, I called, brought it in and after having it for a couple days, he said he couldn't find my information or a quote anywhere, and beside having a high clutch, the noise wasn't loud enough to justify fixing it and if it got any louder, to bring it back in.

Dan posted the issue, asking anyone here for any recommendations on a place to take it cuz, well we trust this bunch. Just don't want to get "taken for a ride". I can tell you I will NOT be going back to Pro.
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Interstate transmission in Auburn. Sounds like its the throw out bearing to me. If your replacing it I would do clutch at same time its all apart anyways. Parts are the cheap part. Labor to remove tranny is the expensive part.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

The throwout bearing on JKs are known for being noisy. Mine has always made noise, I just have to rest my foot on the clutch and the noise goes away. If that’s all it is I wouldn’t worry about it.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s