Tow Basics... Rules of the Road

BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Tow Basics... Rules of the Road

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Being new to the tow world, I have setup the truck and trailer appropriately using many different sources for information on the internet and people with experience.

What I can't really find is the regulations on roads/highways. I know that my GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is >10k lbs, likely close to 12-13k. Questions I have, which may spur additional questions are, what are the restrictions for roadway use? What do I need to pay attention to so I don't unknowingly break any laws? Do I need to stop at weigh stations? I like to do things by the book, but I don't know what the book says.

Does anyone have a good source?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
ImNotCassie
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: Tow Basics... Rules of the Road

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

My rule of thumb.... do it until someone says you can't...... then question their authority. :lol:
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Tow Basics... Rules of the Road

Unread post by Modeler »

My experience is:
Keep out of the left lane if there are more than two lanes.
Unless you have commercial plates you do not need to stop at a weigh station. (When Josh, Jen and I were driving out to Moab, there was only one time we were directed to pull into by signs that pointed us out due to the long enclosed trailer and dually pickup. As soon as they saw the truck was not commercially registered they directed Jen to pull back out onto the highway. The only other time I've pulled in was in a U-Haul at St. George, UT when towing Will's Subaru back from CA, was immediately directed out then too.)

YMMV
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?