Fender upgrade. Plastic or metal?

JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Fender upgrade. Plastic or metal?

Unread post by JeepAddict »

As the name suggests, I am looking to upgrade the factory fender flares. The plastic ones has served me well but its time...Here is the question.

Plastic: Much like the factory ones the plastic ones seem to be more forgiving and will flex when rubbed or pushed into an object. No rust or winter crap to worry about

Metal: More solid than plastic but when pushed on with any force, will no flex and could damage the body. Can be welded and repaired.

Installation is a non issue and I can do either in the garage.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Chrome? Never heard of it.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Fender upgrade. Plastic or metal?

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Tough call. Metal ones will cause body damage and winters will be harsh on them. If you wheel enough you will wack them eventually, they can take a hit better but will cause worse damage then plastic ever will
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Metal adds weight. Weight equals acceleration/braking issues. (Without added upgrades) Mpg less, rust if daily. There are quality metal flares that will bounce you off a tree with nothing but a scrap in the paint, but you pay for quality. (Metalcloak) I have bounced pumpkin off alot of trees including yesterday, where I fell off a rock and slammed flare into tree no damage other than bark scraps.

Be truthful to what your intentions are with jeep. If you haven't ripped plastic off yet and plan on sticking on same type of trails stay with plastic.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Thanks Mark, I've pulled the front passenger side and have it re-bolted it on 3 times. I am planning on trying to keep doing more challenging trails as time and budget ( repairs) allow until it becomes a the toy in the next few years.

That was us that drive by you on Saturday evening at the lights at 140 & 70 in Bolyston btw...
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Thanks Randy, that's kind of what I was thinking. Mark brought up a good point about the weight too. I'm thinking that if metal gets pinned on the tree, I'll crush or buckle the front quarter....Do you still have the plastic ones on the white Jeep?
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

If you buy the right fenders, they’ll have taken the strength of the body panel it’s bolting onto in consideration. I’ve seen rockers bolted to the body of a JK crush both the rocker and body all in one big hit. But I’ve also seen proper sliders slam into rocks and not cause any body damage.

I haven’t yet upgraded to metal fenders, but I will. I get terrible fuel mileage anyways, and it’s a second vehicle whose purpose is to make it work off road, aside from taking the year off anyways.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

JeepAddict wrote:Thanks Randy, that's kind of what I was thinking. Mark brought up a good point about the weight too. I'm thinking that if metal gets pinned on the tree, I'll crush or buckle the front quarter....Do you still have the plastic ones on the white Jeep?
I got the (metal) Metal Cloak Highlines like Mark has and have also taken a couple good wacks with no damage. I chose those because they are removable for when I know it’s going to get rough and they have a 2” wider flare so I can have tire coverage for inspection. They do add a bunch of weight but after my axle swap and beadlocks what’s another 100 pounds? Depending on your budget and intents you are better off with plastic, or saving for decent metal ones (not budget metal ones)
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

When my Jeep still had fenders, I ran the stock ones until they were beat and focused on other more important upgrades.

If I had a JK with plastic fenders, I'd run them until they were no longer serviceable and then get free replacements from someone spending money to upgrade fenders.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Throw this out there but Bushwacker makes a knockoff of the Poison Spyder fender with frame bracing and all in Aluminum. I've installed a few of the PS fenders and a set of the BW ones. They are identical! And like $600 for a set powder coated. Can't beat the price. I'm sure something between the 2 companies took place with these because the directions even used the same pics! Only difference I noticed was PS used standard hardware and the BW used metric.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Both Poison Spyder and EVO metal fenders are braced into the main subframe, pinching the body between. I've seen other jeeps putting a wheel up on one without body damage.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

I bought the Fishbone Offroad ones from Quadratec and am pretty happy with them. They're well built and inexpensive (comparatively.) I am not one to bash my flares anyway so I went with the metal. They're narrower than stock so it's a little harder to hit them. I've swiped both trees and rocks and so far no damage. Just hit it with some paint after a scrape and it looks like new.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
hig
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by hig »

I have Genright. They are beefy but not supported well by the tub. They work fine for tree rubbing but got pushed in a bit when they had the weight of the jeep on them.

I have a feeling that most bolt-ons won't do well in a flop or roll scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 TJ, D44s, ARBs, 35s, armor and stuff
Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

Richl35 wrote:Throw this out there but Bushwacker makes a knockoff of the Poison Spyder fender with frame bracing and all in Aluminum. I've installed a few of the PS fenders and a set of the BW ones. They are identical! And like $600 for a set powder coated. Can't beat the price. I'm sure something between the 2 companies took place with these because the directions even used the same pics! Only difference I noticed was PS used standard hardware and the BW used metric.
I've been eyeing those BW's but had heard they had some fitment issues. I'm guessing you didn't experience that? If they're as good as you say, looks like BW may have sold another set.
-- Hank
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Hank wrote:
Richl35 wrote:Throw this out there but Bushwacker makes a knockoff of the Poison Spyder fender with frame bracing and all in Aluminum. I've installed a few of the PS fenders and a set of the BW ones. They are identical! And like $600 for a set powder coated. Can't beat the price. I'm sure something between the 2 companies took place with these because the directions even used the same pics! Only difference I noticed was PS used standard hardware and the BW used metric.
I've been eyeing those BW's but had heard they had some fitment issues. I'm guessing you didn't experience that? If they're as good as you say, looks like BW may have sold another set.

I have heard the same but the ones I installed fit just like the PS fenders did.
Mikmaq
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Mikmaq »

You could up cycle your plastic fenders by trimming them with a dremel and then putting auto trim on the rough edge. Flat look for short money and they can take a hit on the trail. Crawl TV does a great DIY video for trimming the plastic stock fender flare.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.....