Tires, Lockers, Opinions

TheJeeper
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Tires, Lockers, Opinions

Unread post by TheJeeper »

It's time to decide what to do with the 84 CJ, and I'm looking for some opinions.

First, any recommendations on tires? Looking for 33 or 34s, 12.5/R15s, I guess, since I have the rims. Used would be good, but absent that, any "medium" priced tire would be fine, too. What number of ply's are good?

Second, Lockers. I'm thinking of spooling the back (to save a grand or two, but a auto-locker might be good, too, since I don't drive the CJ too much), and OX lockers in the front since they seem to be pretty versatile and dependable (air activated I think), but also, any recommendations on re-gearing?

Those are pretty broad categories, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985

Re: Tires, Lockers, Opinions

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

I wouldn't spool it.
If the rear is still a 20 with two piece shafts they may be worth upgrading at same time.
What is your plan for it? As in wheeling? Greens/blues, blacks, bounce of rocks and trees?
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a 74 CJ . (Avatar) I have auto lockers F&R . The 20 rear you have would need one piece axles to deal with a locker. A select-able in the front is a great idea. Brand and function is a choice. Gearing is expensive so decide what size tire first and that will tell you what gear to pick. (Tire/Ratio chart) If you want to wheel it you want to edge toward the power side Vs. economy. Then there is the lift that you will need to clear the tires. I run 35s and have cut the sheet metal to clear them. this way I could run 4" of lift. I drive mine on the street also and try to limit it to 60 on the highway. Good luck FjR68
TheJeeper

Thanks, guys. My plan is to get it to blue, as right now it's a pale green, lol (or maybe its the driver who's green??). I think I have a 6" lift, but it could be 4". I'm assuming 33s would fit as there's tons of clearance with the 31s on it now. I was not aware of the split real axle issue - that could be a big issue; thanks for point that out. Maybe a set of 33s with a front locker and leave the rear as it is for now??
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by JeepAddict »

Dave speaking as someone who has been trailside as you worked your way off of a few of the " sticking points". Most times you were only hung up by about 2" on the diffs or leaf spring tie plates. The U-bolts were actually hitting. It seems like you had enough power , just a bit of a clearance issue. I was pretty impressed the way you did it with the stock engine / tranny combo especially with the 5spd.

Having had CJs in the past and regretting a few of the outlandish mods and then selling them, I'd love to see the CJ stay close to stock and get another to wheel ( in a perfect world).
Chrome? Never heard of it.
MDSRACING398

Also going to wider tires that backset on your rims isnt going to work. It's not a two piece axle they are two piece axle shafts. Moser makes a nice set of stronger shafts which I think include bearings and seals for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure others make them too. I'll go digging thru my pile when I'm home I might have a set collecting dust.
Semper Fi
TheJeeper

Thanks Mark. I have 31/12.5 r15s on there now - should I go down in width with 33s? Moser has nice looking replacement shafts that come with the seals and bearings for $305.

Gary - thanks for the nod. I was wondering if the CJ was going to make it last time; I bent a couple of bolts under there, lol.

I'm going to do some more research with your suggestions.
MDSRACING398

Another issue you might run into is if you have 2.73 stock gears you need a new carrier.
Semper Fi