FRS radio

You can talk about anything here
LoneStarTJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

FRS radio

Unread post by LoneStarTJ »

What are some key words when looking for a FRS radio? The one that I had that I thought was going to work is not going to work because it can't connect to the UHF band like I thought it did. So I'm trying to find something quick and on the cheaper side before the 22nd.
1997 TJ
You can live in a Jeep, But you cant offroad a house
-Benjamin Franklin
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: FRS radio

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Get one of the ones that the club sells, it’s only like $24 and is already programmed
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I know Mark S. has extra radios available. I'm sure you can get one from him on the 22nd.
They are pre-programmed for BSJ.
Just PM him at: MDSRACING398

Or you can order one from Amazon if you want it before the 22nd.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H ... UTF8&psc=1
It won't be programmed with the BSJ special channels though. We can re-program it for you.
Several of us have the cable and software to do so.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I agree, the club offered radios are great, you may not know the name but they are quality radios. I have several from them at work that we use for traffic control and other tasks around the properties and systems. They have outperformed many radios we have had at a fraction of the price.

As for what do you need? Just about anything from a bubble pack at your local store will work. What you want to use is up to you, but I would look towards programability as its nice to just turn it on and push a button and roll. I would also look at what is out there for hands free use.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
LoneStarTJ

Unread post by LoneStarTJ »

yeah ill just get one from Mark.
1997 TJ
You can live in a Jeep, But you cant offroad a house
-Benjamin Franklin
MtMan
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by MtMan »

Can someone please share what is necessary to program an FRS/GMRS radio. I have an FRS radio that I have used for skiing with friends and I have also install a new Midland unit in my Jeep that I woul dlike to program to use next weekend on the club run. Please let me know. Thanks!
MtMan
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by Marky »

MtMan wrote:Can someone please share what is necessary to program an FRS/GMRS radio. I have an FRS radio that I have used for skiing with friends and I have also install a new Midland unit in my Jeep that I woul dlike to program to use next weekend on the club run. Please let me know. Thanks!
Download "CHIRP" - it's a shareware type program that does the job. You'll also need a programming cable for your radio. The style varies with the type/model of radio. Finally, I shared an image file in another post somewhere... below is the link to the UV-5R image I've shared. You can copy-paste the frequencies into another image if your radio is different or not perfectly compatible. If you do have to copy-paste, check the settings tab and poke through there as well. You'll be able to set default channels and turn off the roger beep, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0ppl9t9fe561 ... J.img?dl=0
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
MtMan

Unread post by MtMan »

I thought that all I needed was Privacy codes (a CTCSS codes and/or DCS codes) for the channels that we will be using. I can set them manually as long as I know what they are. Thanks!
MtMan
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

MtMan wrote:I thought that all I needed was Privacy codes (a CTCSS codes and/or DCS codes) for the channels that we will be using. I can set them manually as long as I know what they are. Thanks!
Mark provided the link to the thread where the frequencies were posted. I have a midland GXT1000. The first 3 channels are frequencies 462.6625, 462.6875 and 462.7125. These frequencies are found on channels 5, 6 and 7 on my Midland. To get the tone frequency of 250.3 for those 3 channels on the Midland I have to use privacy code 38. I imagine the Midland radios are similar in channel set-up. Just check your manual
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Now that a couple events have gone by with the FRS radios how do people like them? I imagine the signal to noise ratio is superior to CB in every way? Has it been an issue to hear the handheld from a radio / Jeep noise standpoint?
Emoto
BSJ Member

Unread post by Emoto »

Richl35 wrote:Now that a couple events have gone by with the FRS radios how do people like them? I imagine the signal to noise ratio is superior to CB in every way? Has it been an issue to hear the handheld from a radio / Jeep noise standpoint?
I could hear fine on mine.
mjm2167
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by mjm2167 »

Sorry to jump in on this conversation... but on BSJ runs / events what do you folks typically use? CB / FRS/GRMS or specific GRMS feq. I have a CB and and also use Baofeng radio and wasn't sure if their were some presets i should load.

Thanks,
Mark
2016 Rubi, Poison Spider Diff covers, 2.5" RK lift, 35" Duratrac tires, Teraflex HD trackbars, d-link, tie-rod, balljoints. MORE Rear bumper, Superwinch 9500, Bushwacker fenders, Cobra 75 w/ firestick CB.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

Yes, there are presets for the Baofeng FRS that we utilize. Was CB in the past but switched to the Baofeng FRS starting the 2018 wheeling season.
MDSRACING398, myself and MARKY have the equipment to program your Baofeng to the clubs channel lineup. Just let one of know and we can bring our laptop and cable to a run or event and update your radio.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
GoSlow
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by GoSlow »

I would like to buy a radio from the club. How do I go about it? BTW, I'll be at the Gremlin run.